Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default How much power with no emissions control?

Do emissions gear on modern motors help performance or hinder it? If one was to tune up, for example, a current Ford i6 NA, with no regards for emissions whatsoever and all emissions gear removed, how much power would it be realistically chasing? Weren't cars back in the 60s and 70s pulling some figures that would rival todays emission-controlled motors?

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How much power with no emissions control?

Huge amounts, at least 1,000,000kw......

XY GT 351 made just slightly more power than a standard FG I6.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think you would find that the ECU would have a fit because of some of the sensor inputs that would be out of whack.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Huge amounts, at least 1,000,000kw......

XY GT 351 made just slightly more power than a standard FG I6.....
...you beat me to it.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Well back then they pulled jack all power compared to today. Exhaust systems and air intake systems are the only restrictors that make any difference.

Make the car breath in and out easier and you gain power and efficiency, but nothing overly spectacular.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ECU controls the car so much better now and gets the air fuel ratio's to just about spot on. However - the ECU is made to be safe so no engine damage will occur - say the intake air sensor pick up very hot air the ECU reacts by adding more fuel in to make it richer (and therefore stop your pistons from melting and your valves burning). Same when a MAP (Manifold absolute pressure) picks up low vacuum - add more fuel to make it safe. The richer the air fuel ratio is the less power you make.

Apart from tuning perameters, the only real emission nasties we have are the cat converters which create a flow restriction on the exhaust. The unburnt exhaust nasties are burnt on the superheated catalyst to stop all those carcenagenic substances poluting the world. Removing the Cats will probably make you 10 kW's on some cars but the $50k fine for doing it isn't worth it.

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think pollution gear severely affected 74-78 cars as the period between the regulations were more restrictive until the makers sorted out how to get power with them.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i think pollution gear severely affected 74-78 cars as the period between the regulations were more restrictive until the makers sorted out how to get power with them.
No actually the regulations were much LESS restrictive.

The problem was that the engine designs of the time (clevos and carb I6s) were rather primitive and inefficient and had to be "bandaided".

It was not until electronic fuel injection and later improvements in valve timing technologies were deployed into mainstream that the power and torque increased while the fuel usage and emmissions decreased.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

flappist i think you and aussie muscle just said the same thing, albeit his was less legible and more open to confusion
Old 12-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGT514
The ECU controls the car so much better now and gets the air fuel ratio's to just about spot on. However - the ECU is made to be safe so no engine damage will occur - say the intake air sensor pick up very hot air the ECU reacts by adding more fuel in to make it richer (and therefore stop your pistons from melting and your valves burning). Same when a MAP (Manifold absolute pressure) picks up low vacuum - add more fuel to make it safe. The richer the air fuel ratio is the less power you make.

Apart from tuning perameters, the only real emission nasties we have are the cat converters which create a flow restriction on the exhaust. The unburnt exhaust nasties are burnt on the superheated catalyst to stop all those carcenagenic substances poluting the world. Removing the Cats will probably make you 10 kW's on some cars but the $50k fine for doing it isn't worth it.
Cheers, makes sense. May I ask why a car running rich produces less power than running lean/stoich? Theoretically, if engine blocks/pistons were made of diamonds, could they make more power by running lean and high temp?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No actually the regulations were much LESS restrictive.

The problem was that the engine designs of the time (clevos and carb I6s) were rather primitive and inefficient and had to be "bandaided".

It was not until electronic fuel injection and later improvements in valve timing technologies were deployed into mainstream that the power and torque increased while the fuel usage and emmissions decreased.
Wasnt the pollution Clevo 6 degrees retarded on the cam timing?
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

These days they require the pollution controls to make them run right...
Even taking the cat off doesn't [really] make more power...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Cheers, makes sense. May I ask why a car running rich produces less power than running lean/stoich? Theoretically, if engine blocks/pistons were made of diamonds, could they make more power by running lean and high temp?
When you run at stoich you are running at the "perfect" air fuel ratio where you will make the best power. Running richer means the flame propergation is slower (so less initial burn and power) and you end up with unburnt fuel running out the exhaust.
Go leaner than stoich and you start creating more heat which eventually ends up in engine damage

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post