Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Auto belt tensioner. Help asap please

We are trying to remove the air con compressor on an AU 6 cyl and are having trouble getting the belt loosened. We have tried a 3/8th drive in it but cant get it loose. What are we missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

get a long crowbar, shove it between the tensioner and the aircon pump, then move the crowbar until the tensioner loosens.. then remove the belt from the power steering pump, and you can then pull the bar out and remove the rest..

may sound a bit wierd, but i use a crowbar to put belts on the AU anyway..
Old 17-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Ok got it sorted. Just pulled the thermos out to get leverage on the idler.

Next question. How do you undo the hose from the air con dryer (?) to the black cylinder near the cab. The connection is near the fire wall on the fire wall side of the tap/filler? Its near the window washes bottle and appears to have some sort of spring thing inside it.
Old 17-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

just be careful as it may still have aircon gas in it...

there should be two allen key screws on the firewall connections holding it in.. loosen them (slowly, just incase there is still gas in the system.. i un-did it too quickly once and had a blinding headache for 2 weeks after), then for the condensor on the front radiator support, there should be two bolts to undo there, undo them and all the pipework should come out (im going off the top of my head from the EF heaterbox replacement, and I had to undo all that.. Its the same for an AU too)
Old 17-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

There won't be gas in it. There is a hole worn in one of the hopes from rubbing on the pulley. Which is why we are pulling apart.

Thanks for the help so far. We have everything undone it is just this hose. We don't want to just yank on it and break it. The hose itself is still connected.
Old 16-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: Auto belt tensioner. Help asap please

So my serpentine belt snapped, and i'm just replacing it, however having the same problem. Its not that i cant get the belt off, but getting it back on...

so how does the tensioner work? can i undo bolts to loosen it? or do need to pry it with a crowbar, and then it will become tight again?? whats the easiest way to do it??
Old 16-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

use a long crowbar, and force it between the tensioner (with the new belt on) and the aircon pump... its the only easy way to do it... I can replace a belt in less than 5 mins...
Old 16-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

ok, yeah i get it, and when you pull the bar out, itll tension back up! sweet. looks like im off to bunnings to buy a crow bar ha ha ha
Old 16-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

OR.....

Just pull the thermo's out. It takes 5 min. Then just put your 3/8th drive (I think it is 3/8th) in the tensioner and pull it back loose. No need to buy a crowbar.

That is how we did it when we were waiting for replies.
Old 16-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Use a 3/8 drive to take the tension off, then put a nail, small screw driver anything that will fit in that little hole to hold the tensioner loose. You suppose to use a 4 or 5 mm drill bit.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I should have added that we pulled the thermo's out to give enough room to get the 3/8th drive in and so that you can actually get a bit of leverage on it.
Old 16-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you get a bit of pipe to lengthen the ratchet it makes it so much easier

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post