Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Catch your accident "event" on video?

Interesting idea from Deals Direct:

Quote:
An Event Recorder is a device that records video for creating a record of accidents or driver and vehicle performance. It's automatically activated by an event that is triggered by the built-in 3-axis G sensor that responds to a sudden change in wheel speed. It starts recording to an SD card and can also be triggered manually with the remote control if required. No installation - it simply mounts onto the windscreen like a GPS unit. Having a recording of events will protect your side of the story in the event of an accident or other disputed circumstance. Depending on the size of the SD card, you can capture several hours of video. Ideal for fleet operators, taxis, hire cars or the everyday person who spends a lot of time on the road. SD card not included.

Stay entertained and up-to-date with the latest in Electronics trends. You can find TVs, DVD Players and even Digital Cameras at unbeatable prices. Love a bargain!

FEATURES:

Car Video Event Recorder.
120 degree wide-angle camera with IR LEDs.

12-24V.

Supports SD cards.

Video resolution: 640 x 480 @ 30 fps.

Real time clock stamp.

Video output for external monitor.

USB and cigarette lighter power cables included.

IR remote included.

Dimensions (WxH): 92 x 80mm.
Anyone tried one? What do you think?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Re: Catch your accident "event" on video?

Probably wary because I live in Sydney - it'd be a pain to set up the device every time I got in the car. You leave that or its mark on your windscreen and you'll likely get some tool breaking into your car.

However, if it was reasonably priced..
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

$199 http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/car-...vent-recorder/
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theft would be the main issue, never tried it.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
No installation - it simply mounts onto the windscreen like a GPS unit.
Call me an ideas man, but if there was a GPS screen on the other side they'd be selling plenty. I certainly wouldn't want both.

The inclusion of this type of thing may be the natural evolution of the GPS unit. (or at least the higher spec models)
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I wouldnt mind one being a P plater, who is automatically at fault for everything...

But really theft is an issue..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Theft issue; take it with you or make a tissue box or similar disguise to hide it in if you want to leave it in the car when you park Of perhaps hardwire it in behind your grill.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

My boss has been using a similar one for riding to and from work ever since a Sudanese guy cut him off and threw him off his motorbike in peak hour traffic and the drivers three buddies all saw "Exactly" the same thing as the driver. Putting my boss in the wrong leaving him without a leg to stand on, something the insurance company is investigating further apparently.
My bosses one though was only about $50 delivered to his door, but it came from Hong Kong or something, works pretty good and records several trips to and from work.
And just a quick flick through ebay, there's plenty of Aus sellers that have cams around the $100 odd mark that look pretty good.

If you havnt seen Fullnoise's in truck video then its worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHzaeTpYB0

Worth it? Could be one day, You just have to be security conscious.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

AC
Just watched that truck video.
The constant video makes a lot more sense with the recorded lead-up to a possible incident.
Rather than the sensor type that "automatically activated by an event that is triggered by the built-in 3-axis G sensor that responds to a sudden change in wheel speed."
That could be too late to start recording as you brake/swerve, and ram up the back of a lane hopper,or other incidents.

SD memory is cheap.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
deanos70

i think one of these type is the go

http://wickedcarsound.com/itronics-i...deo-and-audio/

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=320665466073

they were on a current affair a while back
deanos70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The one list is only an SD camera ... ie: very poor quality.

I'd be getting one from on-site camera's ... same as used in Fullnoise's truck ... HD camera ... excellent sound quality as well. They are mounted up the top of your windscreeen behind your rear view mirror ... literally out of site as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Oh man, should had one of these today. LOL

Nearly, very nearly totalled a Territory today on the Monash (Melb)
I was in the left lane doing 80k's (slowed down from 100k's because traffic was stopped), bloke in the right lane next to me, pulled out from a standing start into my lane, literally in front of me. Had less than a second to react. Evasive action averted a major collision, however I swerved. But in the event of swerving there was no time to look to the left, thank god there was no one there, otherwise bye bye Falcon, bye bye Territory and bye bye the person to the left of me.

Would of been a perfect case of what not to do in traffic.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post