Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #61
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Get fined for swearing, in Victoria of course!

The more i hear the term nanny state the more i cringe....

Its been said a few times now... the law for obscene langauge in public has been around in all states of Australia. Its NOT a new law.

All the state has done is turn it into a minor offence which Police can deal with by a on the spot by giving you a ticket (where you have the option to go to court). Currently you MUST go to court for swearing in public.

I highly doubt Police officers will give you a ticket if your just having a conversation with someone. Police officers are sworn at on a day to day basis and im guessing that if your a total prat and start swearing at them when they pull you over, or your drunk in public you will no doubt cop a fine.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #62
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do any of you whingers understand the offence of offencive language will remain the same????? you just won't be dragged through court. It's not like suddenly you can get in trouble for swearing you always ran the risk of being charged.
You are not guilty until proven inocent you are issued an infringement notice, if you agree you are guilty you pay it (plead guilty), if you think you are inocent you fill out the cout election (plead inocent). it's just like pleading guilty in court without having to take a day off. Maybe some of the foul mouthed cretins we see might finally be dealt with.
cops don't like giving out parking fines ( too much work) they will be the same with this unless it is warranted

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #63
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have any of you been to a shopping centre on a Thursday night.
I live right near the largest shopping centre in Newcastle and often go there. It attracts all type of people and has its fair share of dropkicks who just hang around and not actually buy stuff.

Its common to hear some dropkick yell out across the busy shopping centre "Aye baz you f%^ing C^&# get over 'ere some ***** wants to talk to ya"
I would love to see these sorts of people get fined.

I don't think a cop will fine you if he overhears you telling you mate something is ******** in a normal conversation walking down the street.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #64
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its sorta funny, when i was trucking now and again i would be stuck in a room with 30 odd truck drivers waiting to do paperwork, and to say the language was`nt colorful at times would be an understatement, however that would pale into insignificance, with some of the language in public places with young loudmouths on mobile phones or just general banter, with no regard for the older folk or women,
swearing has always been there but in the old days there was a time and place for it , in other words, it was respectful not to swear around the more frail folk, these days it seems to be a measure of coolness for some to be as rude or as obnoxious as possible,
i might add my next door neighbors young daughters language would have hardened convicts running away in fear.
personally i would`nt mind the swear law enforced a bit more.

Last edited by mik; 02-06-2011 at 02:28 PM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #65
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Have any of you been to a shopping centre on a Thursday night.
I live right near the largest shopping centre in Newcastle and often go there. It attracts all type of people and has its fair share of dropkicks who just hang around and not actually buy stuff.

Its common to hear some dropkick yell out across the busy shopping centre "Aye baz you f%^ing C^&# get over 'ere some ***** wants to talk to ya"
I would love to see these sorts of people get fined.

I don't think a cop will fine you if he overhears you telling you mate something is ******** in a normal conversation walking down the street.
Exactly.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #66
BHDOGS
Banned

Its a brilliant idea
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #67
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll go out on a limb here too and say I think its a good idea. Dropping the "F Bomb" and "C bomb" in a pub with a few mates ins't the target. Its the feral smartarse who has just thrown a Jim Beam can at a passing cop car who is giving obscene lip at 100 decibels at the coppers who will be the target. And good riddance. Too much of this passive acceptance of rubbish behaviour at the minute. Act like monkey, and you'll be treated like one.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #68
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said before, swearing has always been an offence, it was covered under Section 4A of the Summary Offences Act -Offensive Language in NSW, worth 6 Penalty points or a $660 fine as well as 100hrs community service maximum penalty. Offenders were given a Court attendance Notice on the spot, which meant they had to attend court, or they could plead guilty in absence and be fined by the magistrate without attending court.

Now they have made the process easier for everyone including the offender, as now the cops can issue the on the spot fine, and if you agree you were swearing in public, you can just pay it same as a speeding ticket and be done with it. If you think you were not swearing (unlikely I guess, as you would not have received the fine) you can elect to take the matter to court, where as before the matter went to court straight away.

So now it frees up the court system as well as your time if you chose to just pay the fine, and the fine appears to be less as well with no risk of community service.

So all those people complaining here should be happy as they are de nanny stating the system in this case
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #69
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Swearing has always been against the law in Victoria, as it is in every other State.

Move on, nothing to see here!
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #70
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't swear on the street but it's all over TV, radio and it's okay? Can't figure out how a law like this would ever pass. They need to pull their heads out of their backside and get real. As **** happens and no-one is perfect, I wouldn't believe anyone who says they are. I've heard very religious people slip the odd one out.

The law should be more about appropriateness of use, place of use not just hell they swore here's your fine.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #71
boss54

i hate it when people swear around my kids. anywere else i dont care.
boss54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #72
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Can't swear on the street but it's all over TV, radio and it's okay?
First of all it's not ALL OVER TV and radio, it's only allowed during the appropriate time slots, and warnings have to be given ie hence the ratings on DVD's etc. Also I can choose to not watch it or listen to it.

If I take my two kids to the local shops and some half wit houso carries on like a pork chop trying to make himself sound tough or important, and loudly drops the F or C word in front of my 7 year old daughter they should be fined, there is no need for it.

I have generally found when ever this happens that people that swear are generally either below average intelligence, or have a need to try and big note themselves or to try and sound tough, little do they realise that they just look and sound like half wit simpletons.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #73
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe

I have generally found when ever this happens that people that swear are generally either below average intelligence, or have a need to try and big note themselves or to try and sound tough, little do they realise that they just look and sound like half wit simpletons.
pretty much spot on
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #74
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
First of all it's not ALL OVER TV and radio, it's only allowed during the appropriate time slots, and warnings have to be given ie hence the ratings on DVD's etc. Also I can choose to not watch it or listen to it.
Debatable. Nova 100 here in Vic for one example. It's either Fox or Triple M I've heard it too. In the mornings and afternoon.

You have to remember Foxtel, Austar and other pay TV you can watch as much swearing as you like anytime. Free to air has had many slip ups, mainly due to rebroadcasting someones footage.

Any child can whack on a DVD/Bluray or CD(music) and listen to as much swearing as they like. Parents can't hover their child's shoulder all the time.

Another common place is school yards. I have 4 kids. Deal with it daily. I can understand trying to stop it in the general public but I think it's a lost cause. Policing it would be mission impossible.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Another common place is school yards. I have 4 kids. Deal with it daily.
yes, but its easy to raise children to know right from wrong. i also have one of my children at school, and she is no doubt subjected to the same filthy language, but she knows it isn't tolerated in our house and she doesn't use it.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #76
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
yes, but its easy to raise children to know right from wrong. i also have one of my children at school, and she is no doubt subjected to the same filthy language, but she knows it isn't tolerated in our house and she doesn't use it.
It's the only place it can be easily combated via household morals. That's why I believe the law is a wasted effort but I guess it could come in handy to nab someone if police need to for whatever reason.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #77
BHDOGS
Banned

Its already against the law in s.a an idiot at my work who was carrying on was arrested for foul language
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post