Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Thumbs up 2011 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

From the September, 2011 issue of Motor Trend
By Jonny Lieberman

|

I played dumb, so our Ferrari-obsessed associate photo editor Mike Shaffer continued, "You always start your stories with some sort of anecdote. What's it going to be for Best Driver's Car?" Well, young Shaffer, how's this for an anecdote: Over the course of six days in June, I had the keys to 82 cylinders, more than 5000 horsepower, and 4000 lb-ft of torque split between 11 performance cars worth more than $1.5 million. Most folks would happily give up a limb just to sit in and sniff the interior of any one of these monsters.

Forget sitting. I got to drive all 11 of our contenders very hard on some beautifully twisted California back roads; put 'em through the gauntlet of our test track; sit in the passenger seat as former GT2 world champ and 24 Hours of Le Mans winner Justin Bell went nuts around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, before swapping places so I could do the same as close to flat-out as I dared with every circuit of electronic assistance shut off. How's that, Mike? That's right, boys and girls, after a two-year hiatus, Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car is back, and bigger and better than ever.

But is there really a single best driver's car? Really? Is there actually one car that so puts the driver first and foremost, we can point in agreement and say, "Yup, that's the one." Well, for the sake of all the time and effort our 23-man and one-woman team put into it, we'll argue yes, there certainly is. And by the time you're done reading this lengthy discourse, you will not only know the which of the 2011 BDC, but the much more important part -- the why. I'm going to let bossman Angus MacKenzie explain:

"What makes a great driver's car? It's not brute performance or gut-wrenching grip. A great driver's car is about balance and finesse, about the quality of the interaction between man and machine. A great driver's car has the chassis and powertain and brakes and steering that enable the enthusiast driver to confidently explore the limits of its performance envelope on the track, yet remains engaging and entertaining when driven on the road. A great driver's car doesn't dare you to tame it; instead, it helps you maximize your potential."

Got it? The hard part of the this story was actually narrowing down which cars to bring along. We invited all the hot new metal we could think of currently on sale here in the U.S., plus a couple of previous BDC winners. Sadly, some of the obvious competitors (Lamborghini, Aston Martin) didn't want to play. Luckily, there were 11 cars that did.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz1Y5SqHaTy

Link to drag race

Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Lightbulb Re: 2011 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11343074

They could have picked a better field tbh.GTR was always going to win over the 1/4
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: 2011 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

Go the real BOSS!
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11343074

They could have picked a better field tbh.GTR was always going to win over the 1/4
The main focus of the article, if you open the link to Motortrend, goes much further than looking at the 1/4 mile.
Old 16-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Lightbulb Re: 2011 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
The main focus of the article, if you open the link to Motortrend, goes much further than looking at the 1/4 mile.
Umm thanks I guess.

Their was a fullstop in my sentence(not comma)and had nothing to do with the suggestion of a better matched 1/4 mile field.

I simply said the field could have been better and that the 1/4 mile was always in the GTR's court.

Ill open the link again and read it again but its not going to change my first posts detail.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Umm thanks I guess.

Their was a fullstop in my sentence(not comma)and had nothing to do with the suggestion of a better matched 1/4 mile field.

I simply said the field could have been better and that the 1/4 mile was always in the GTR's court.

Ill open the link again and read it again but its not going to change my first posts detail.
It's all good. , ; I won't argue over punctuation.
Old 16-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LFA and GTR posted extremely similar times … yet the LFA is about 5 times the price LOLOL what a joke ….

The corvette is truly amassing around the track …
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
LFA and GTR posted extremely similar times … yet the LFA is about 5 times the price LOLOL what a joke ….

The corvette is truly amassing around the track …
The Corvette had semi-slick tires on it, none of the others except the porsche (with a less grippy semi) had that.

The GT-R is a monster, but for some reason I'm guessing its only a monster in a sprint, throw in a longer stint and I wouldn't be surprised in some of the other cars such as the Porsches and the Lotus were in front after a few laps.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
WASP
Whipple Induced

Just love the BOSS. For the money the GTR is truly Ann amazing vehicle. I love the Audi R8 to!!
Old 17-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Corvette sounds fantastic.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a top review for the stang and it`s cheapest of the lot.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
The Corvette sounds fantastic.
The best sounding of the lot IMO!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post