Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #31
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why bother with Courts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
I don't think I read anywhere in the news report that this guys decorated past was used as a method to incarcerate the attacker. I think it's just the irony that this bloke who has survived some obviously nasty circumstances overseas has come home to Australia to only come within a whisker of some serious injuries on the apparent safe streets. Afganistan....RPG's, AK's, IED's, Mortars, Car Bombs...phew...survived it!......Australia....boxcutter...damn it! Kinda ironic really!

That's exactly how I read it too.....However I do agree with those that suggest that a persons background is irrelevant when assessing what punishment should be handed out to an offender. In this case though the fact he was in the armed forces in Afghanistan was only used to demonstrate the irony that, while he escaped death in that war torn country, he came pretty damn close to it in his own backyard.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #32
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
we are "civilised" now.

we don't use capital punishment on pedophiles and rapists anymore. because we are civilised.

we don't chop hands off repeat thieves. because we are civilized.

we don't kill drug dealers, because we are civilized.

in actual fact, being "civilized" has actually caused us more grief.
Absolutely agree 100%. The government always goes on we are part of Asia, lets take a leaf out of Singapores books, the birch seems a great deterrent over there. 100 lashes would make you think twice about bashng or robbing someone.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #33
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226224448517
Another one.........
Old 17-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I agree the attacker didn't know who the guy was or what he did for a living, what I am saying though, is that when it comes before a court, of course it is relevant what the victim and accused did in their past.

Past history of BOTH people should be known. What if the guy that got attacked, was known to have a criminal record? What if the guy that attacked him had a police record as long as your arm and was known to police but was never offered help?

Are you guys seriously saying that a persons past or what they do or don't do within the community shouldn't be taken into account??

Sorry but I will agree to disagree. You have to know past history to assist in making a judgement call before a sentence or assistance for help etc is passed.

That was the point I was trying to get across. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers
Col
What you say is true for the person that commited the crime but not for the victim.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Starting to tie in with the thread in the Pub. If you were catching this waste of space, bringing her before the courts countless times for preying on those that are incapable of defending themselves and their property to see her not only walk, but committing the same crime hours later..! Would you be frustrated? She needs a backhander.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #36
Flogginit

I can understand the comments that the courts hands are tied and are limited on punishments they can hand down.....but isn't it up the the magistrates discretion as to the extent of the punishment they are able to hand out to the criminal?
Don't forget its the top criminals of this nation....I mean politicians that create the laws of this nation who are too afraid of offending the minority by creating laws that appear to harsh to inflict on poor Johnny or Mary who had a bad childhood or is addicted to drugs to know any better.......BULLDUST. Everyone who breaks the law deserves to be punished in a way that will teach them a lesson that they wont forget. Then they wont do it again!!!!!!
That woman needs to be locked up for a good stint or cut the buggers hands off or even better let the old lady's she stole the hand bags from each give her 5 lashes. Bet she never does it again after that!!!!

Last edited by Flogginit; 17-12-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Change of wording
Flogginit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #37
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Starting to tie in with the thread in the Pub. If you were catching this waste of space, bringing her before the courts countless times for preying on those that are incapable of defending themselves and their property to see her not only walk, but committing the same crime hours later..! Would you be frustrated? She needs a backhander.
No she NEEDS a very very very long custodial sentence , it seems to be blatantly obvious to everyone except the jelly backed loony left judiciary that she is a recidivist and an inveterate liar who will say whatever the loony left rehabilitaion peddlers want to hear with NO intention of changing her ways or honouring her commitments , so remove her from society .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #38
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

we only bother with the court system for one reason - to allow lawyers and judges to become richer
they cannot lock the vermin up, because if they did, their workload would diminish and they would continually have to find more and more people to offend
this way, the same people get to reoffended ensuring their fat paypackets for years to come. and they also want to encourage, others to try petty crimes in the knowledge that they will not be punished, because each new criminal is not just another dollar - it is many, many dollars . . . . and that is what matters, not the general public's safety, just lawyers and judges getting filthy rich
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #39
bungarra

I think we need Sherriff Joe Arpaio to run the jails, he has the lowest repeat offender ratio in the US.
http://www.mcso.org/
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #40
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
No she NEEDS a very very very long custodial sentence , it seems to be blatantly obvious to everyone except the jelly backed loony left judiciary that she is a recidivist and an inveterate liar who will say whatever the loony left rehabilitaion peddlers want to hear with NO intention of changing her ways or honouring her commitments , so remove her from society .
Er... ok... of course.... how silly me, rich lawyers and magistrates are all commies.... I should have known. Thank you for such insight!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #41
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
an exceptional piece of work there....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #42
Falcman0o7
Banned