Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
XW WA

Default Doberman owners ,advice wanted

First up merry christmas for tomorrow every one ,ill be doing night shift so have one for me .
Our house has decided that we want a dog and after a bit of research I have decided along with the mrs that we want a male doberman . Intelligence , protective, loyal , responds well to training etc . I am at the stage where I am researching breeders all over oz ,as Im in WA the options are few . I definitely am keen on a european working dog line rather than an American style Dobe . Im going to contact the WA doberman club for advice but i would be interested in anyones expieiences on buying a Doberman , things to look out for other than the obvious medical checks of pups and parents .What to look for in a good strong healthy pup and traps for new owners to this breed, what to look for in a good breeder ,buying dogs from interstate etc .Any Advice really that is helpful and correct from people that have or have had Dobermans would be much appreciated
Cheers

XW WA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Doberman owners ,advice wanted

You cant go wrong with a Doberman. We had a male German bloodline, he was a top dog who was extremely loyal and once over the puppy stage extremely well behaved.
The breeder had two seperate litters at the time, with the same sire but different dames. As he was a domestic pet we went with the docile litter and he turned out perfect, just enough aggression (no one would jump our fence thats for sure) but no issues with children or friends.
He lived for 11 years but had hip issues and got cancer so it was a sad end, but he had a good life. They need lots and lots of attention and exercise. And be aware the males can grow big, ours would jump up on me and with his paws an my shoulders look me in the eye and he weighed 55kg. He just kept growing. We will be getting another one soon and will most likely go a female.
They look great with full ears (illegal to crop anyways) and tails as well. Most people dont know what they are when in their natural state.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
kinksta
Luxojet

Default Re: Doberman owners ,advice wanted

Will it be your first dog? That would be the first question, being a powerful breed and all.

But if you want the best advice come on over to dolforums.com or dogforum.com.au plenty of professionals there, and they are dog forums, same as here but they talk dogs.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
coupecouple04

I have had a Doberman and can't recommend getting one purely based on my dog only .It was such an unemotional dog compared to all the other dogs I have owned .All the dogs I have owned from German shepards to rottys poodles became very attached to me and would do anything for me.Mine was very indepented almost cat like only happy to see me when I had food.Escaped once and had to retrieve from pound they almost didn't give him to me because he wasn't in the slightest bit interested in me even after not seeing my for 3 days.The dog I have now goes ballistic after 1 min of not seeing me.Again this is purely a one dog experience.
coupecouple04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
XW WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Will it be your first dog? That would be the first question, being a powerful breed and all.

But if you want the best advice come on over to dolforums.com or dogforum.com.au plenty of professionals there, and they are dog forums, same as here but they talk dogs.
Ive had dogs nearly all my life mongrels and x breeds all of them and all great dogs , and thanks for the info on the forums ill look them up for sure and cheers for the info guys ,keep em coming
Old 29-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
EF ECTIV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my sister and her Boyfriend just got a female doberman puppy... seems a great
dog so far, intelligent, easy to train and gets along with everyone... no problems
having it inside at times either....

They picked up a dog from a well known breeder south of the river; not quite
sure on the name but can get it if youre keen.... It cost an absolute fortune
though, and had it tail docted (spelling?) over in new zealand, and a few
other things done as well; cant quite remember them all... but i know both
my sister and her bf are incredibly happy so far...

1998 EL XR8 S2, Oxford, Manual, tickford kit
Project

2013 G6ET

Stock daily

2022 Patrol TiL
Stock daily
EF ECTIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
kinksta
Luxojet

docked tail. Not allowed to be done in Australia anymore..
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW WA
First up merry christmas for tomorrow every one ,ill be doing night shift so have one for me .
Our house has decided that we want a dog and after a bit of research I have decided along with the mrs that we want a male doberman . Intelligence , protective, loyal , responds well to training etc . I am at the stage where I am researching breeders all over oz ,as Im in WA the options are few . I definitely am keen on a european working dog line rather than an American style Dobe . Im going to contact the WA doberman club for advice but i would be interested in anyones expieiences on buying a Doberman , things to look out for other than the obvious medical checks of pups and parents .What to look for in a good strong healthy pup and traps for new owners to this breed, what to look for in a good breeder ,buying dogs from interstate etc .Any Advice really that is helpful and correct from people that have or have had Dobermans would be much appreciated
Cheers
Personally I find the breed less than desirable having worked with a number of them , reasonably obedient , somewhat sly and certainly cunning , usually trustworthy and with the right handler will be an excellent performer , but them I have had rottys for decades so am biased
You will need to take the dog along to your local obedience club and both of you can learn the ropes , training is vital , good luck with your purchase and I hope the pup adapts well
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
NFURY8 Ute
Formerly Quick 5.4L

If you are lookin into buyin a doberman or a shepperd i highly recommend kriss, he breeds pedigree pups and stives to match owner to dogs that are suited to each other, unlike some breeders that just wanna get rid of there pup to anyone, his page is

http://www.vonforell.com/

For Go:
custom exhaust, BPR CAI

For Show:
Power bolge hard cover n spoiler, bonnet n hard cover decals, 20'' CSA RAZORS, Pedders Ultra lows
NFURY8 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
RiTz

We have 3 dogs at the moment.. One of which is a 10yo female doberman. She is the 3rd Dobe our family has owned. I'd recommend a Doberman if you have time to train it and walk it everyday. If not than you will have your hands full lol

The male we had when we were kids (30+ yrs ago) had to go to another home cuz he was wayyyy too rough with us kids.

The 2 females though were great dogs.Both females had hip issues and both lived beyond 10yrs.

The one we have now (Eve) is going to leave us some time next month unfortunatly as her hips and arthritis are way too bad =:o(

I can find out off mum the breeder details if you like.. I think she is in Bathurst.

Jo
RiTz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Docking tails is illegal in Australia. I am now declaring the subject as controversial and the next person that mentions it will cop a warning.

Now back on topic thanks.
Old 31-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Docking tails is illegal in Australia. I am now declaring the subject as controversial and the next person that mentions it will cop a warning.

Now back on topic thanks.
GeckoGT is correct and the OP is not interested in the Off Topic subject.
Just to get things correct and straight in everyone's minds - docking, ear cropping are now illegal in Australia as an elective procedure however some dogs are still docked by vets but only in certain medical circumstances.

NZ still allow docking by approved NZKC Dockers and vets but Aust pups and dogs are no longer able to be sent there to be done. However a girl can be sent in whelp and can deliver the pups in NZ and then be docked and sent back to Australia.

Removing sexual organs on girls and testicles on the boys plus dewclaws, is still legal and accepted as a common practice.

These are the facts and if you want to debate it hop onto Dogzonline and discuss it there. This is the AFF and while we allow for members to ask such things as the OP has this debate stops here. Carry on and this will be closed and warnings handed out.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
Uwish

I had a red Doberman, great dog.
Make sure you give them a lot of attention and exercise
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

i've grown up with dobermans pretty much all my life. (parents got our first one when i was 5 months old)

i'm trying to convince the missus to get one for us (we're doing the nsw police puppy program to get her used to having a dog first)

we've had both pets and working versions (RAAF police dogs in the 80's and 90's)

extremely loyal (and willing to do anything to protect their family) very good temperment and playful.

like any dog breed, if you don't train and play/exercise them they will become terrors.

other than that, they are great breeds that will ove you as much as you love them.

hip problems are the big issues though, make sure you can check out the puppies parents and their history.

enjoy and make sure you post up pics when you get them.
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
ccel
Starter Motor

My dobe owned me for 9 years 11 months 29 days, if its a pet in the backyard your after get a fishpond, then fill it.
Dobermans were bred as companion/protection dogs, ( tessa was from kris who i know personally he is serious about who has his dogs) ,my wife always said I loved my dog more than her,
I didnt argue, sometimes the truth hurtshttp://www.fordforums.com.au/images/smilies/Smilies/evil_laughter.gif I still cant have another dog, even when the the kids ask for one. They are are a one owner dog and love to be treated like a spoilt child,
ccel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

those dogs scare the hell out of me. you definately will never get robbed or anything like that. otherwise they are good to their owners who they recognise.....to others .......run..............like...................... ................................hell!
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
XW WA

going to check out a kennel today, here in WA . They have a litter planned for march .Going to check out the parents and make sure the place is not a backyarder . Seems to be the real deal ,affiliated with the WA Dobermann Club and they have champion dogs and seem pretty serious about their breeding practices to produce quality pups .
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
ACEz

My family has grown up with dobermans all our life, fantastic dogs so loyal and loving to the people they know , smart and they're easily trained, Although our last one has sadly been put down because of hip problems/bones (14 years old).

Take alot of care choosing your dog/breeder and don't be afraid to wait a while for a nice litter from breeders.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

be prepared for 2- 2 1/2 years of challenging times... until they grow up and are a settled sure dog.

they are cunning, self pleasers and need experienced handlers to bond with get the most out of them..
(im mainly talking about high drive working dobermanns)

if you want a fluffy house dog or just a pet, just look for a breeder with good breeding for health purposes.

my advice is to wait and get a good breeder and get a european line/working lines, although the negative side to this is that they are more intense and harder work as a house dog (need stimulai and an outlet such as regular training & exercise even pp or shutzund) but the positives with the working lines is that they are useful and will protect, make sure you find a good parents and always ask to see them, they need to have strong nerves which is getting harder to find these days as many show breeders & backyarders have not bred for temperament and strong nerves (courage)

many dobermanns are useless and skittish as guard dogs nowadays (many owners will say otherwise but if the dog's really put under pressure most of them fold) , the true dobermann gene pools are small so to find a well built strong boned & strong nerved dobermann you need to be patient and look hard and do your research,

i would start with these breeders

Vonliston

Von forrell

Von Roth

be prepared to pay 2 to 5k for a well breed dog, even then there is no guarantees

Last edited by JAYBA; 06-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some good advise from JAYBA. I think you really need to be clear on if you want a pet or a working dog as there is a big difference between the two. Be honest with your self with what you want (and need) and the time you will be able to put in with these dogs as they dont take to being left alone and a working dog may end up being a handfull. As I mentioned we were after a pet not a guard dog and he turned out great but he still needed lots of time and was basicaly glued to my side. His first few years were very challenging.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post