Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Shipwreck hunters stumble across mysterious find a UFO ?

Shipwreck hunters stumble across mysterious find
By Brooke Bowman, CNN
January 28, 2012 -- Updated 0844 GMT (1644 HKT)

Shipwreck hunters make an unusual find

(CNN) -- Deep down on the bottom of the Baltic Sea, Swedish treasure hunters think they have made the find of a lifetime.
The problem is, they're not exactly sure what it is they've uncovered.
Out searching for shipwrecks at a secret location between Sweden and Finland, the deep-sea salvage company Ocean Explorer captured an incredible image more than 80 meters below the water's surface.
At first glance, team leader and commercial diver Peter Lindberg joked that his crew had just discovered an unidentified flying object, or UFO.
"I have been doing this for nearly 20 years so I have a seen a few objects on the bottom, but nothing like this," said Lindberg.
"We had been out for nine days and we were quite tired and we were on our way home, but we made a final run with a sonar fish and suddenly this thing turned up," he continued.
I have been doing this for nearly 20 years so I have a seen a few objects on the bottom, but nothing like this
Peter Lindberg, team leader Ocean Explorer.
Using side-scan sonar, the team found a 60-meter diameter cylinder-shaped object, with a rigid tail 400 meters long.
The imaging technique involves pulling a sonar "towfish" -- that essentially looks sideways underwater - behind a boat, where it creates sound echoes to map the sea floor below.
On another pass over the object, the sonar showed a second disc-like shape 200 meters away.
Lindberg's team believe they are too big to have fallen off a ship or be part of a wreck, but it's anyone's guess what could be down there.
"We've heard lots of different kinds of explanations, from George Lucas's spaceship -- the Millennium Falcon -- to 'it's some kind of plug to the inner world,' like it should be hell down there or something.
"But we won't know until we have been down there," said Lindberg.
The Head of Archaeology at Sweden's Maritime Museums, Andreas Olsson, admits he's intrigued by the picture, but remains sceptical about what it could be.
The reliability of one-side scan sonar images is one of his main concerns, making it difficult to determine if the object is a natural geological formation or something different altogether.
"It all depends on the circumstances when you actually tow the [sonar] fish after the boat," he said.
"What are the temperature conditions, the wave conditions, how deep is your fish in relation to the sea bed etcetera and all those parameters also affects what kind of image you have in the end," he explained.
Even Lindberg agrees the image "isn't the best it could be." But his crew are still planning to return to the site in the calmer waters of spring to investigate their find.
It's a risky and expensive business, and not one that always pays off.
British maritime historian, Professor Andrew Lambert, says the costs of recovery are now too high for most.
If you want to stand in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes, go shipwreck hunting.
Professor Andrew Lambert, British maritime historian.
"If you want to stand in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes, go shipwreck hunting," he said. "Most shipwrecks are rotting away, or carrying dull things -- all the romance has been taken out of it."
It's a problem Lindberg and his team are aware of.
"It's a very difficult industry to be in -- it's money all the time," he confessed. "The best thing it could be, would be 60 meters of gold -- then I would be very happy."
"This thing is very far out, it's really off-shore, so first of all we need a bigger ship... more equipment.. and we have to do bottom sampling, water sampling, to see if it is something poisonous."
But even if the mystery object doesn't contain retrievable treasure the site could still prove to be a gold mine for the Ocean Explorer team, with tourists and private investors paying to see it up-close, in a submarine.
"The object itself is maybe not valuable in the sense of money it can be very interesting whatever it is, historical or a natural anomaly," said Lindberg.
In the North Atlantic, one American salvage company is also hoping to beat the odds.
Odyssey Marine Exploration -- a company made up of researchers, scientists, technicians and archaeologists -- have at least 6,300 shipwrecks in their database that they are looking to find.
Their latest discoveries include two British war-time shipwrecks off the coast of Ireland that could be laden with hundreds of tonnes of silver.
Mark Gordon, president of Odyssey, says at least 100 ships on their watch-list are known to have values in excess of $50 million dollars.
"When you think about the fact until the mid 20th century, the only way to transport wealth was on the oceans and a lot of ships were lost, it adds up to a formula where we have billions of dollars worth of interesting and valuable things on the sea floor," he said.
The lure of treasure has lead to an increasing number of discoveries in recent years. But one which doesn't come without its dangers, warns Olsson.
"I think recently we're entering a time of a lot of discoveries," he said of the technological advancements in finding shipwrecks.
"The professional shipwreck discoverers are doing a great effort for cultural heritage management in the long run... what we don't support is the action of actually taking up items and selling them," he said.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/28/wo...ers/index.html

Last edited by csv8; 31-01-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Add video
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default Re: Shipwreck hunters stumble across mysterious find a UFO ?

damn i wanna see the images they have! love this kinda stuff, shipwrecks or anything underwater that they find...

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
damn i wanna see the images they have! love this kinda stuff, shipwrecks or anything underwater that they find...
The images are on the link I posted..very intriguing photo's definitely disc shaped and large,!!!!
Old 31-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find UFOs interesting...
I am eager to see what it is...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

whoa!!! love it... gets the heart pumping wondering what it is, maybe we might find out of the 21st dec this year? lol

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Chopped
as in chopped

I would like it to be something cool but it looks like some sort of rock formation to me.
Old 31-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
Scott

60m Disc with a 400m long tail???

Idiots have found the plug is all.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, it could very well be a natural rock formation but I want them to investigate it just incase it's some kind of crashed extraterrestrial or just remains of someone's secret technology.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Looks like the Millennium Falcon
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
Mackspower

hehe . . .
Quote:
+1
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
sbcb
BA Xr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
60m Disc with a 400m long tail???

Funny as, best hope they don't yank it.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
gtfpv
GT

i can see the aliens waving throught the window , can you ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped

I would like it to be something cool but it looks like some sort of rock formation to me.
Nothing new there.... just a weather balloon!

Very Falcon looking isn't it......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
BHDOGS
Banned

Could be fords new 2020 falcon! They let the car out of the bag big time
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Post of the day for sure!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on a minute... there was a thread about this very same object early last year????? Its the same article rehashed from then?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post