Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default The Aussie spirit is alive and well

Today I made a big gaff... was running late, grab the keys to the Mrs car, flew out the door to the train station, slammed the door and ran like a cut snake to the train. After a big day at work I was very relieved to finally get back to the car, put the key in the door to unlock it and got said car happily thinking about the food awaiting me at home.

These nice warm and fuzzy feelings were abruptly replaced with "Oh shi-" and <insert rage face here> as I tried to start the car... *click* goes the ignition... *click* goes the starter motor... and then.... silence....not the kind of silence I wish I had instead of the neighbours agreeing loudly with each other at 3am... but the distinct lack of an engine roaring into life.

Sure enough, in my haste to get to the train I'd left the damn parkers on and they had slowly sucked the life out of the poor little battery like a daytime vampire. As I hit the horn (which surprisingly worked!) I noticed a fellow heading over towards me in his front yard, beer in hand with a grin ear to ear.

"G'day mate, I saw you about 7:30 this mornin' and thought ahh that blokes gonna be spewin when he gets back, so we've been waiting for a business looking bloke to turn up and that's when we heard the horn and saw flashing lights!"

Told him it was the Mrs car to which he replied "Ahhh sure it is! That's what they all say! Wanna jump start?" He carefully drove his AU ute up the footpath around the other cars and within 5 minutes I was back up and running. Had a great chat about the AU, cars, ******* cars and with a handshake, big thank you and a wave I was off.

So, this bloke I've never met and don't know from a bar of soap see's someone has left their lights on. In order to help out, when he gets home he stays outside until after dark in the cold (Brisbane isn't freezing yet, but it's not warm either!) until this bloke (ningnong) in a business shirt shows up so he can give his car a jumpstart and get home to his family.

I thanked him many times and asked him what he drank but a hand went up to silence me: "Nah mate you're right, it's all good,.... just make sure you drive it around a bit to charge it up"

Tonight restored my faith in people, and in the Aussie spirit of helping a mate out, even if you don't know them from a bar of soap, thanks a million Jimmy

-GSF6

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Vines5161

Default Re: The Aussie spirit is alive and well

Think a six pack of anything left on the door step of his house is in order.
Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Likewise mate Hopefully he doesn't own a dog!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
Likewise mate Hopefully he doesn't own a BIG dog!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Good on him Glad to hear there's still people out there willing to help out just to help out, instead of for some sort of personal gain.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet story
Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Don't wanna pee in my own pocket , but I still carry toolbox and jumper leads in all my cars , grew up with not so great cars ( reliablility ) its sorta stuck .
Awesome that there are people still out there like it ....I personally have towed a bloke 200 km late at night , my way of thinking is what if that's me ...

It's a strange world though , last time I was in Melbourne I left lights on in the hire car , parked behind an racv depot , and it took me twenty minutes to convince em ( with cash ) to walk twenty meters for a jump start ....they were calling the hire company / insurance and all that . And just kept saying they can't do it ...I mean seriously ...I actually talked the young fella into it ( he was on smoko ) waving dollars for the jump ...I was lucky he gave in because racv were talking non member call out fees and not doing anything till that number came through .

Lol sorry for the thread ...It's bloody good to know they exist
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Glad it still happens as well

Was in Cowra doing some maintenance work between tenants and gave the tree in the front a bit of a trim....

Ended up with a very large heap of branches and leaves... The neighbour struck up a conversation and told me that the tip takes the load for $8.. I explained that I wasn't in a rush to get rid of it, and intended to put a bit in the green bin each week (would be there the next 4 weekends) till it was gone (Stupid idea, looking back at the pile I had)..

Then I said.... besides, I don't have a trailer. Got a hitch, but no trailer. Thought nothing off it and went on my merry way going nuts on the thick stuff with the Husky.....

What do I see next... the neighbours move 2 cars to wheel out and lend me their trailer. They also left it out for me to use again if need be.

Very thankful indeed ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
AU Mont
Banned

great story grandpa_spec_f6

i certainly do beleive in "karma" and that good deeds get rewarded somehow, and that morons & lowlives get whats coming.....

i always like to be 'one up' though lol. Had some glass cut up for me, and the business said not to worry about payment. Come christmas i'll drop in with a bottle of whiskey or something
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vines5161
Think a six pack of anything left on the door step of his house is in order.
gee's you're cheap! make it a carton son.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Good story, this was north or south brisbane?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Glad it still happens as well

Was in Cowra doing some maintenance work between tenants and gave the tree in the front a bit of a trim....
Hi YF, how is Cowra today? You find any of those escaped JAP prisoners yet?
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Hi YF, how is Cowra today? You find any of those escaped JAP prisoners yet?
Bit hard to see, seeing as I'm in Sydney. I did have a look for them last weekend, apparently they are hiding in some garden up there.....

Will do the same run this weekend... got a back fence thats being held up by 4 foot of grass....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
So, this bloke I've never met and don't know from a bar of soap see's someone has left their lights on. In order to help out, when he gets home he stays outside until after dark in the cold (Brisbane isn't freezing yet, but it's not warm either!) until this bloke (ningnong) in a business shirt shows up so he can give his car a jumpstart and get home to his family.
He was probably new to city life...... we do things like that here in the bush
Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
He was probably new to city life...... we do things like that here in the bush
yep!.....not unusual at all out here but welcome nonetheless......well done that man!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Today I made a big gaff... was running late, grab the keys to the Mrs car, flew out the door to the train station, slammed the door and ran like a cut snake to the train. After a big day at work I was very relieved to finally get back to the car, put the key in the door to unlock it and got said car happily thinking about the food awaiting me at home.

These nice warm and fuzzy feelings were abruptly replaced with "Oh shi-" and <insert rage face here> as I tried to start the car... *click* goes the ignition... *click* goes the starter motor... and then.... silence....not the kind of silence I wish I had instead of the neighbours agreeing loudly with each other at 3am... but the distinct lack of an engine roaring into life.

Sure enough, in my haste to get to the train I'd left the damn parkers on and they had slowly sucked the life out of the poor little battery like a daytime vampire. As I hit the horn (which surprisingly worked!) I noticed a fellow heading over towards me in his front yard, beer in hand with a grin ear to ear.

"G'day mate, I saw you about 7:30 this mornin' and thought ahh that blokes gonna be spewin when he gets back, so we've been waiting for a business looking bloke to turn up and that's when we heard the horn and saw flashing lights!"

Told him it was the Mrs car to which he replied "Ahhh sure it is! That's what they all say! Wanna jump start?" He carefully drove his AU ute up the footpath around the other cars and within 5 minutes I was back up and running. Had a great chat about the AU, cars, ******* cars and with a handshake, big thank you and a wave I was off.

I thanked him many times and asked him what he drank but a hand went up to silence me: "Nah mate you're right, it's all good,.... just make sure you drive it around a bit to charge it up"

Tonight restored my faith in people, and in the Aussie spirit of helping a mate out, even if you don't know them from a bar of soap, thanks a million Jimmy

-GSF6
ha ha sums it up nicely,, shure it is...
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
jrfttf
Getting By!?

good to hear it still exists, unfortunantly the australian way of life is a dying thing!!!!!!!!
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till_Lind
Good story, this was north or south brisbane?
I would assume Northside. Southside the guy probably would have just shot out the parking lights.

Great to hear mate, I personally haven't a hand with anything like that yet.
But I have pushed 2 cars from servo's in the last 12 months to get them started.
I just think to myself, "what if it was me"
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is nice to see a good turn being done, does`nt happen often enough these days , actually come to think of it i hopped out of the car yesterday and my wallet fell out of my pocket, a old fella/ bike rider stopped and pointed it out, i should have given him a 50 to buy him self and missus a counter tea, it did`nt occur to me till later, but i did thank him profusely.
i did a good deed myself today for a broken down bloke giving him a push across an an intersection in the ****ing melbourne rain, he hopped in and managed to roll start it and off he went, i continued on to the macedon ranges, one good turn deserves another.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post