Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
peterljohnson55

Default What ancilliaries needed for Monroe struts?

I know I can purchase Monroe struts, but need to know what ancilliary stuff should be considered when replacing the strut assembly? Hopefully someone can list these (say, from top to bottom - as my shopping list). BTW, I have never purchased as strut pack before so I havent a clue about them, novice I be.

Reason for asking:
I dont particulary want to be bitten by a workshop who wants extra $$$ beyond the quote, for this or that item beyond the basic Monroe item, for what should have been supplied to renew the suspension in the first place; nor do I want some crappy piece of worn-out part left in place when it should have been replaced.

I have seen some front strut packs online which show ancilliaries but I dont know what the parts are or what for. Furthermore, some appear to be universal kits that cover both AU1 and AU2 - but, I understand, AU2 and AU3 front struts for the FPV are not the same in the Monroe catalogue as for AU1.

(I plan to have installed Monroe 35-0447 to front and 35-4449 to rear.
Car: Ford Fairmont AU2 2001 Tickford IRS, which is not not super-lowered).

I appreciate any and every comment.

Peter

peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: What ancilliaries needed for Monroe struts?

Struts are struts mate, you don't get anything but struts when you buy them.

I suggest that you buy "strut mates" or otherwise known as bump stops - they are usually caned by the time you need to replace struts, more so on the front end, but hell do the rear stops while your at it - they're not that dear. Also factor in a wheel alignment.

The rest should be all good!

Edit: I should explain that the "bump stops" are a synthetic sleeve that fits between the travel arm of the strut and the strut body to help stop bottoming out.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 12-01-2013 at 10:02 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's definitely a few bits and bobs that they can replace 'whilst they're at it'... bushings and whatnot...

I got a quote off a place (for a strut and spring change) and they said "We'll check all the bushings and stuff for wear and replace if need be, allow an extra $100 or so just in case" I was pretty happy with that!

Where are you man? If in Melbs there is a good place...

Previous rides:
R32 Skyline gtst - drift weapon
67 VC Val - Cruiser
A4 1.8t MTM 286 - Euro Evo
AU2 XR8 Ute - rumbly drift weapon.
BA2 Futura Wagon - boom box.
Suzuki Swift Sport - thrash me!
Ford Kuga 1.6T AWD - work car, hoping to replace it with a new weapon soon...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Something else to consider is your ball joints, the uppers don't take too much load as they are a follower, but the lower ones take the brunt of the hit - they may need attention. Things can get exxy here.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Also, at the top of the shaft where it goes through the rubber and plate is a Rubber (of course) and they do get flattened after a period of time, you should look into getting NEW ones, the place you buy the struts from should be able to sell to you as they are not available Genuine Ford anymore. They suit from EA to AU.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post