Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
nhayato
Starter Motor

Default Issue with Falcon AU2 6cyl 4.0 petrol - shudder when accelerating

Issue with Falcon AU2 6cyl 4.0 petrol only shudder when accelerating.

When I accelerate in about 3rd gear (automatic), and around 60-100kph, the car shudders,

When I disconnect the Throttle position switch on the AMM, the car no longer shudders.

I have replaced the Throttle position switch, ignition leads, spark plugs, injectors, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, air filter.

Was wondering what else this could be.

It seems like an electrical issue from the Throttle position switch back as disconnecting this clears the issue.

When the car starts shuddering, the dash reads "cruise control set" - my au is a Forte and doesn't have cruise control, so im confused as to why this appears.

I have no ABS, no cruise control and no LPG.

This is a 2001 AU2 sedan, non-IRS, 6cyl auto 4lt

If someone can give me some help isolating the cause of the shudder it would be much appreciated

Thanks

nhayato is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: Issue with Falcon AU2 6cyl 4.0 petrol - shudder when accelerating

Could be the O2 sensor giving an incorrect reading, therefore you need to dump more fuel in for it to run correctly?
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Are you ok with a multimeter?
The tps will be a 3 wire design, you need to read voltage for identification.

In no particular order:
One will be bias voltage 5v. You will have this as the car is running.
One will be the signal wire and the range will be from about 0.5v to 5v as you accelerate. Note you can test in the accesories or KOEO position.
Last wire will be a ground and on a sensor, this needs to be under 100mv.

To confirm wiring integrity, you need to have a look at a wiring diagram available on this site to identify the corresponding pin out on the PCM for the signal wire of the tps.

By jumping the bias voltage to the signal wire and seeing if there is 5v at the computer tps pin out will confirm that the wiring is good or bad.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Sounds like the coil pack to me
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post