Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 23-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Swear Filter Avoidance

The question is of general value so I will answer it.

a) Using a word that I KNOW will be replaced by the filter. Eg “**** off” when I know it will be replaced with “****.”

Is acceptable - the offence is avoiding the filter not using the * symbols.

b) An adaptation of the word (that may or may not be caught by the filter.) eg ****, Fekking, Effing, *****.

Not acceptable - this is avoidance

c) Abbreviations of common swearing phrases. Eg FFS, FMD.

Marginally acceptable

d) Using special characters to replace part of the word. Eg “F@#%”

Pointless really but that will depend on the mod as there are no clear rules around it. If it looks too much like the word then it is likely to get pinged.

e) Replacing all of the word. Eg “%@!& off.”

Equally pointless - same scenario as above really.

f) A word such as “horseshit,” which I actually thought would be truncated as “horse****” but apparently isn’t caught by the filter.

If the filter didn't get a full and correctly spelt word then that is something we need to remedy so it shouldn't incur a penalty.

I trust this is clear.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
If the filter didn't get a full and correctly spelt word then that is something we need to remedy so it shouldn't incur a penalty.

I trust this is clear.
I got an infringement for typing the letter F followed by three asterisks. Does that count as something that shouldn't incur a penalty or was I out of line? Happy to accept the penalty and I haven't offended again as now I know that it is allegedly against the forum rules (which I didn't know beforehand), but for my own curiosity was I wrong to write that?

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB View Post
I got an infringement for typing the letter F followed by three asterisks. Does that count as something that shouldn't incur a penalty or was I out of line? Happy to accept the penalty and I haven't offended again as now I know that it is allegedly against the forum rules (which I didn't know beforehand), but for my own curiosity was I wrong to write that?
We hadn't had any guidelines until the question was asked above - and I have added those to the moderation guide.

Previously there was just a broad view and it was up to mods to make their own call.

My view, under the current guidelines, is that the scenario you draw would still incur a penalty as it is clear what the intent was.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post