Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Farm/Block/Paddock work ute

ok so ive done a quick search and couldnt really find much on the subject

ive got two acres
not much but enough (especially when youre on the ride on and are thankful that you only have two acres)
i have a small briggs and stratton ride on thats been bloody great around the block, only probs ive had with it was it dropping a gear pin out the back and it cost me about $30 at a local place to get fixed
i have one of those small little trailers that hook on the back and its good enough for prunnings and small bits and pieces etc.
but
sometimes you just want something bigger so you dont have to do 5 trips on the little mower to cart stuff around the block
so ive been thinking of getting a ute
ive looked on gumtree and theres a few around well under the 2 grand mark

so, what i need:
something that isnt lowered, while the block/land is flat (but sloped) theres no point having bugger all clearance
auto or manual doesnt bother me, as long as one isnt more prone to shitting itself easily
prefer a non tray but its not a huge necessity
non tray (something like an xg) because you can just lob stuff into the back and who gives a *****, with a tray im sure to bend the sides or bust a pin out.
so what do people think model and type wise?

id prob use it for, chucking in wood, general crap and moving stuff around
eg, when i put small fences up or fix stuff i can just chuck rapid set bags and permapine posts in the back, (where as the ride on and its trailer are too small)
im not really much of a mechanic but i have a local guy who has serviced all the older cars ive had over the years and is literally a 3 min drive up the road.
im not worried about looks or a bit of rust obviously as its just a block hacker to make my life easier

heres a couple ive found on gumtree:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/black...ono/1031180967
looks tidy, prob too tidy as a farm hack, but if i could get something like this for around a grand then it could also double as a runner to work that is a 35km round trip, surely a drivers window that wont go up is easily fixed.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adela...ute/1032761242

then i saw this lol
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adela...289/1032383902
tray top i know but it looks pretty cool and i wouldnt have trouble with clearance, then i noticed...the photos are dated the 1st of jan....2000

anyone else in the same situation and has an old farm hack thats reliable, or anyone that knows whats reliable and whats not, please....post away

the red ford in the first gumtree add looked not too bad
if it ran ok and was mechanically sound id might even get rid of the magna and use something that was that tidy as a dayly and a block/paddock hack

let me know whats reliable and whats a piece of ***** and to steer clear from
cheers

MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Farm/Block/Paddock work ute

Mate I was in that exact same boat, my wife couldn't comprehend why couldn't just put the trailer on my company car and use that the whole but it would get filthy and damaged wasn't getting over the line.

fortunatly for me I had just started back with the company I did my apprenticeship with and my very first company car a 1988 Mitsubishi Triton 1ton cab chassis was out the back growing moss and was about to be disposed of, they got wholesalers in to give offers and I beat the best offer by $10 so for $110+GST this little gem is mine

Unfortunately it didn't have any gates for the tray so it was a PITA for some things unless I put the trailer on it (to which the wife said seems pointless if you still need to put the trailer on it) but I've since come across some gates on Hard rubbish day that I managed to make fit, now its fantastic

That was in February last year unfortunately in March I got offered this free to a good home

but it gets used mainly to look pretty in the front garden, and for firewood carting from down the back as a full load on the Chev is good for a season of fire wood 1 trip

If you want something for just around the block an XF is great but unless you want to to see road use again I would be looking at something a little less loved than those 2

My triton was parked for 6+ months because the foreman at the time said it was NWR due to an oil leak, I went out and glowed it and she started without hesitation, as for the oil leak I dipped the oil when I got home and found it nearly 2 liters over full, I gave it an oil and filter change (as I had know idea when it was last changed) and after the run off I couldn't seem to get with the supercheap degresor and the hose finished dropping it hasn't leaked since

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 28-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

nice finds yeti
at first i was just looking for pretty much a paddock basher
but if i can get something around the 2500 to 3000 mark (which is what the magnas worth, actually the magnas prob closer to 3500) i can then get rid of said magna and use the ute as a daily
seems to always ne xg xh etc about but how reliable are they?
not worried about cosmetics, just gearboxes and motors

our land is pretty flat
put it this way i had some garden chairs we got yesterday (those swingy pod type things) in the back of the trailer on the turbo and i drove it around the block to get ot the alfresco side of the house
if the turbo can make it over that ground anything can

nice chev
evener nicer that it was free!!!
Old 28-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

just saw your edit yeti
cheers
maybe ill just spend 1500 or a grand and just buy a block hack xf xg etc and keep the magna (its been quite reliable)
Old 28-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arrrrrrrrrrr

If you can multi purpose it then absolutely get something a little more expensive.

And XF XG sort of things are good reliable old girls

if you could jag an AU that would be gold, my uncle got a poverty pack AU I for $1500 at auction, he went out looking to by a new trailer as he was about to start a renovation on his new house stoped by the auctions and figured a trailer is $1000 I'll grab that for $1500, then he did what your talking about doing, sold his grocery getta (I think like you it was a magna) and now his ute runs him to and from work and they use if for all the reno pick ups, and if they go out they just take his Mrs car

Or as youve seen my edit, perhaps you might like to disregard my latest post (that you typed while I was typing LOL)

The Chev still earns its keep, a mate of mine was having a vintage theme'd wedding and he and his now wife have always loved the "Big Red Truck" as they named it, and wanted it as part of their wedding, it looked amazing all decked out as a serving tray

http://kustomkultureaustralia.com/20...country-style/ (if you look 8 down on the left of the seating plan you'll see my name ;) )

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 28-11-2013 at 02:52 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Second the xf. That's what I use. My dad is throwing an old set of chunky all terrains on his xf. I am in the process of upgrading to an f150 though. More clearance from the grass, carry more, tow more, etc...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Heard the xf model is reliable too.
Don't want to spend too much without getting rid of magna basically its just a pain in the *** selling a car (detailing it for twits that don't show, or, show up but then offer u half the asking price).
So if I can con the misses into just a block hack I think it will be easier in the long run.
We have a cage trailer 7 by 4 or 5 (can't even remember) that if I need to pick up stuff that doesn't weigh over half a ton the turbo pulls with ease.

Cheers guys
Been helpful so far.
Old 28-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

There is plenty of cheapy's out there especially on a word of mouth basis, At work we just got rid of one of our AU II ute's (it was a tray back though) for $500, admittedly it was well worn 450,000km, seats were pretty stuffed but dedicated gas and good BTR auto and still was a great work ute for the guys who drove it everyday till it was updated by a newer rodeo and then it just sat there.

The Old XG XF utes are great too and cheap, those old tritons are good things too even the old rodeo's utes with the carby G200 engines are great.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the ride on capable of towing?

Surely you wont need a 6x4 trailer around the block but what a light weight 4' x 4' trailer that hitches onto rideon.
Old 28-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
then i saw this lol
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adela...289/1032383902
tray top i know but it looks pretty cool and i wouldnt have trouble with clearance, then i noticed...the photos are dated the 1st of jan....2000
You'd probably find that that date on the photos is simply a default date of the camera they used that hasn't been reset, and that the photos are actually not as out of date as it appears.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Hulsty

Subaru Brumby, done.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Arrrrrrrrrrr

If you can multi purpose it then absolutely get something a little more expensive.

And XF XG sort of things are good reliable old girls

if you could jag an AU that would be gold, my uncle got a poverty pack AU I for $1500 at auction, he went out looking to by a new trailer as he was about to start a renovation on his new house stoped by the auctions and figured a trailer is $1000 I'll grab that for $1500, then he did what your talking about doing, sold his grocery getta (I think like you it was a magna) and now his ute runs him to and from work and they use if for all the reno pick ups, and if they go out they just take his Mrs car

Or as youve seen my edit, perhaps you might like to disregard my latest post (that you typed while I was typing LOL)

The Chev still earns its keep, a mate of mine was having a vintage theme'd wedding and he and his now wife have always loved the "Big Red Truck" as they named it, and wanted it as part of their wedding, it looked amazing all decked out as a serving tray

http://kustomkultureaustralia.com/20...country-style/ (if you look 8 down on the left of the seating plan you'll see my name ;) )
That old truck is gold! Absolutely full of character there, I love old trucks like these.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yep XF or an XG, I've had both I think the XG is the better of the two but more expensive, XF's are nearly worthless now so you should be able to pick one up for a few hundred. Mine cost $350 licensed, had some issues but still did the job.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Whats the ride on capable of towing?

Surely you wont need a 6x4 trailer around the block but what a light weight 4' x 4' trailer that hitches onto rideon.
No don't need the trailer around the block.
The small ride on trailer is too small and if I load it right up the mower struggles a bit, plus that little trails is just to small, I end up doing 3 trips up and back the length of the block, where as with an old ute I can just load it up once.
Xg or something along those lines sounds the go.
I'llkeep looking and keep my eyes peeled.
Thanks guys.
Been helpful so far.
Old 28-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can stretch the budget, get an AU, especially if you want it to double as a daily. Comfortable, durable, and almost indestructible.

That said, it depends on your land, and how “bashed” a paddock basher will become. If you don’t want your daily covered in *****, and want to go for a dedicated farm ute then XF/G/H. I can’t recall if any got the 3.9, but if so stay clear, 4.1 or 4.0 is the way to go.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I can’t recall if any got the 3.9, but if so stay clear, 4.1 or 4.0 is the way to go.
None of the above had the 3.9. XF's were made up until 1992/1993 with the Crossflow and from 1993 the XG took over with the 4.0l in EB/ED spec until 1996 when the XH debuted with a variant of the EF's 4.0 (sans dual-runner intake manifold).

My '96 XG has an EF motor in it with ED/XG ancillaries and bits.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
None of the above had the 3.9. XF's were made up until 1992/1993 with the Crossflow and from 1993 the XG took over with the 4.0l in EB/ED spec until 1996 when the XH debuted with a variant of the EF's 4.0 (sans dual-runner intake manifold).
Thanks, I couldn't recall and didn't want to blanket recommend them, but can happily do so now.
In either form, practically indestructible.
If you go the XF, the old 3-speed tranny did have a few issues, but they are cheap and simple to repair.

Just a thought, but if you want a paddock ONLY ute (ie not licensed,) check out the salvage auctions. They get written off with minimal damage.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Cheers again guys and any lasses.
Prob going to go a half decent daily as well and get rid of magna after Xmas.
Seen something around the 3800 mark and I'll check it out next weekend as it's the earliest time for the seller and myself.
I'll keep it updated.
: D
Old 30-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put the feelers out with the neighbours,you just need a yard hack that runs,that you don't care about,thats easy to fix,cheap or free, that doesn't cost much to get home
Don't spend alot
Having a one car that does all doesn't really work,you have to care for it ,no running over things ,no spearing tyres,has to be looked after and serviced,a hard yack ,flog it till it breaks
I scored a 50s land rover of the neighbours for free, tray back ,3 hours work it runs ,ruff , but runs
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I got an unregistered 81 Hilux Ute with later model turbo diesel and five speed for 2k. Mounted 500 litre tank on back with petrol pump for fire fighting and watering, two long hose reels mounted too. . Plus behind that mounted a 200 litre tank with electric pump and 25m hose on reel for weed spraying.

For general paddock work have a Kyoto uxv500 Ute. So handy for putting Chainsaw and or wood brushcutter or whatever in back. Couldn't live without it now. Goes anywhere. Done over 1000 km on block with it. Also have a video around somewhere of us in the mountains up the back flogging through the snow :-)

Had a 59 dodge truck too with huge tray and dual rears but just got rid of it after getting the Hilux.
Old 30-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I have a 5 acre block and have so far killed two Falcon utes.

First one was an XC. It had a very hard life and in the end, it just stopped and almost broke in half due to overloading and rust

The next one was an XE. Poor thing didn't last very long

And then I got this one for $1,800. Indestructible!!

Up to you what you get but if you are going to really use and abuse it, get something as tough as you can
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #22
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep - as tough as possible, as cheap as possible, trayback in preference to wellback and just keep it for the property - dual use just doesn't really work.
It's either too good for the rough use or not quite good enough for the road use.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

thing is my block is basically a big block of 2 acres
its not a farm it doenst have holes and rutts and hills etc etc
its just something to drive to the end of the block on flat sloped land and drive to the front of the block to chuck it on burn piles or go to an old shed

im certainly not on a farm
put it this way i drove the turbo on the land the other week with the trailer, so that shows you have flat and clean the land is
no mud an all that *****
imagine a normal house block bout around 2 acres big
so a ute as a daily adn something to duck down on the block in IS actually suitable...for this situation
found something but its got the typical clear coat and ***** paint on the roof and bonnet
which means if its like that already it wont last long out here as it wont be getting parked undercover

loving that xc loaded to the hilt with rocks and wood
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

blimey
pretty tempted to chuck a sickie and go have a look

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/murra...ell/1033242020
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #25
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yet im pretty sure the misses will like this
for some strange reason she likes the 4wd looking things

again
could come in handy for the block as i could just hook the big cage trailer up to cart clippings and the odd bit of wood about
anything to look out for in these things mechanically etc etc?
i know nothing about them

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lonsd...999/1032610830
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
blimey
pretty tempted to chuck a sickie and go have a look

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/murra...ell/1033242020
Rust in usual places as mentioned in advert, is relating to XA-B-C means everywhere full of holes
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yeah
looks reasonable tho
and wehn you think im driving it 34 kms a day to and from work total nad need something i can drive on the block with to chuck prunings etc and the odd few bits of wood or cart posts and some wire about
she'd be fine
if its fuul of bog im not fussed
it would be eventually parted out when the body does finally go and then ive got a v8 and trans ready for a rebuild in the xb sedan in the shed

maybe.

not too many times you send the misses the link and she says she likes it lets go have a look...especially on an older car
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #28
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont touch the Exploder, they are the pox. Unless you want garden art.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #29
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Thanks.
Messaged about the xb ute.
Told me to ring him tonight.
Rung.

Sold.

Was spewing.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

grabbed an xh ute
1996 4.0 long range gas tank (had its check and clearance in 2010)
179000kms, half sorta decent canopy on the back tbar auto

things need doing:
get rid of that canopy and go the tonneau cover
squeaky front end, whats this likey to be, shocks, springs??
new set of headlights as the ones on it are nearly yellow
other than that some seat covers and some mats and drive the bloody thing!
few spots of rust so whats the best way to treat that, smash it with some endrust or literally pay someone to give em a quick grind over and prime?
dont care what looks like just dont want the rust to travel
ill get photos later
too early and i havent had a cuppa tea yet.