Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..
Default ADSL question

Ok got a q...
I recently had another phoneline dedicated to the internet in my room it has its own number, as i used to run a long ext line from the living room to the computer and finally got fed up with it.
Now if i used a splitter and connected both the lounge room line and the new line, would the speeds be any quicker?
:sm_headba
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I'm not expert, but I doubt it.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

highly doubt it with ADSL
Old 16-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Ok got a q...
I recently had another phoneline dedicated to the internet in my room it has its own number, as i used to run a long ext line from the living room to the computer and finally got fed up with it.
Now if i used a splitter and connected both the lounge room line and the new line, would the speeds be any quicker?
:sm_headba
Cheers.
If what I think you're asking is to somehow join the two lines together into one modem, then no.

There used to be software to combine the bandwidth of two dialup connections to one service, but if you wanted to do something similar with ADSL then you'd have to get ADSL turned on the 2nd line and essentially pay for 2 services and 2 modems.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

the second line has been adsl enabled, do i really need to use a filter on the line dedicated to the comp only?
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 16-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I run up to eight computers off my switch which is attached to modem. Only one pc has had disc from bigpond installed.

512k ADSL
Old 16-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Me 3 just bought a Netgear DG834v2 modem/router but only run the one comp off it.
Quote:
Old 16-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

Quote:
the second line has been adsl enabled, do i really need to use a filter on the line dedicated to the comp only?
The filters are for devices other than ADSL.
ie: telephone, alarm, fax,etc.
if you use a filter on the ADSL you will stop it from working.

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Gilesie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could also get a wireless adaptor for the 2 computers... saves you having the extra phone line cost each month.

let me know if you are interested, its easy to setup
Old 16-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

So do you want to aggregate the two ADSL lines or do you want to use a shorter cable?

Big difference in cost and speed.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Bring BOTH adsl lines into a single line into the modem/router then into the comp from there
Quote:
Old 17-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #12
max^power
Formerly au^ute

if your modem supports it you've got a good modem. you need expensive gear for that. plus you need two services. is the extra 1.5mb really worth it? why not just get cable?
Old 17-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Cable hey hmmmm.
Quote:
Old 17-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #14
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

I already have the 2 services connected and currently both working.
just wondered if i could thats all ...
Quote:
Old 17-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #15
max^power
Formerly au^ute

optus was 10mb when i had it a few years ago, and it flew. makes ADSL look crap. i only gave it up because of the pathetic download limits... look into it, it's certainly much quicker than two adsl lines, and about the same as what you'd pay for a good adsl line.
Old 17-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #16
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Cheers mate....
Quote:
Old 17-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #17
max^power
Formerly au^ute

not a problem. good luck with it.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Cheers mate....
I'd also check to see if iinet have any ADSL2+ DSLAMS connected at your local exchange. If you're close enough to the exchange it'll be much faster than cable.
Old 17-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #19
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
optus was 10mb when i had it a few years ago, and it flew. makes ADSL look crap. i only gave it up because of the pathetic download limits... look into it, it's certainly much quicker than two adsl lines, and about the same as what you'd pay for a good adsl line.
But how often do you get download speeds faster than 1.5 Mbits/sec? If you did get high speeds frequently, you'd chew up your download limit very quickly and be shaped for the other 28 days a month. With ADSL 2/2+ out now, it's much closer in most cases to cable speed and faster than cable for the lucky few who have the right conditions ie close to exchange, relatively low load on exchange etc
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
But how often do you get download speeds faster than 1.5 Mbits/sec? If you did get high speeds frequently, you'd chew up your download limit very quickly and be shaped for the other 28 days a month. With ADSL 2/2+ out now, it's much closer in most cases to cable speed and faster than cable for the lucky few who have the right conditions ie close to exchange, relatively low load on exchange etc
I often get download speeds exceeding 1.5Mbit/sec. You only exceed your limit if you don't monitor what you download. I'm on a 40GB onpeak/40GB offpeak plan and I haven't exceeded that yet. :P

ADSL2 is actually faster than cable and has the benefit of not sharing a connection to the provider with other subscribers on the same cable.
Old 17-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #21
max^power
Formerly au^ute

ADSL2 is still being rolled out. It's not as readily available as Cable. It's easy to suggest it, but in reality, not many people can actually get it. iinet pretend you're getting it by calling their plans broadband2 or whatever... but you're still getting plain old adsl, unless you're in the right area.

svo wanted more speed, i know where i live and many many people i support cannot get adsl2, but they can get cable. Sure, it's shared, but the majority of customers on 1.5mb adsl plans dont actually get that either... so you can't really compare a theoretical 1.5mbit/s limit to a real 1.5mbit/s transfer rate. Cable is still worth a look in my opinion.

The only drawback with cable is the lack of competition, hellstra or optass. :( Either way, better than the misleading marketing of iinet companies...
Old 17-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
ADSL2 is still being rolled out. It's not as readily available as Cable. It's easy to suggest it, but in reality, not many people can actually get it. iinet pretend you're getting it by calling their plans broadband2 or whatever... but you're still getting plain old adsl, unless you're in the right area.
No, not as readily available at the moment but I doubt there's much new cable being laid, and forget about trying to get it put into most units.

Iinet call their ADSL2 plans broadband2 and their ADSL plans broadband1. Check their site.

Quote:
svo wanted more speed, i know where i live and many many people i support cannot get adsl2, but they can get cable. Sure, it's shared, but the majority of customers on 1.5mb adsl plans dont actually get that either... so you can't really compare a theoretical 1.5mbit/s limit to a real 1.5mbit/s transfer rate. Cable is still worth a look in my opinion.

The only drawback with cable is the lack of competition, hellstra or optass. :(
I always got full 1.5mbit/s when I was transferring from a site capable of feeding me that.

I just ftp'ed a file at 8:12pm while downloading torrents at around 115k/sec right now, but that'll dip soon when I strangle my upload speed. :P

226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 13631488 bytes received in 19.28Seconds 707.03Kbytes/sec.

I came from Telstra and their crappy plans to iinet and I couldn't be happier. If I was looking for more speed, I'd be looking at either cable or ADSL2 provider that can connect, paying double for 2 connections isn't exactly the best way to go.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #23
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Iinet call their ADSL2 plans broadband2 and their ADSL plans broadband1. Check their site.
They didn't used to, till i complained to the ACCC about their deceptive advertising At least i know it worked!

I'd say you're a lucky one Rodp, i sometimes get full speed with my torrents, but not often ill reach 100% capacity. I was only trying to point out that not everyone will get 100% link every time.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
They didn't used to, till i complained to the ACCC about their deceptive advertising At least i know it worked!

I'd say you're a lucky one Rodp, i sometimes get full speed with my torrents, but not often ill reach 100% capacity. I was only trying to point out that not everyone will get 100% link every time.
If you're talking about torrents then absolutely not, but that's no fault of iinet. Didn't know about how they advertised, it had always been broken up as BB1 and BB2 since I signed about 6 months ago. I'm grabbing a 24 episode and there was something like 2500 seeders and I was connected to 30 so I was getting a decent speed.

I grabbed a file off ausgamers a few minutes ago and my modem must have resynched to a higher speed than last time I checked because it came down at 1.3Mb/sec. I'd be surprised if someone was on an iinet 1.5Mbit plan and didn't get full speed if the remote server they were connected to and its path had more than enough bandwidth.
Old 17-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #25
max^power
Formerly au^ute

microsoft sites work well for me too such as windows update etc
Old 17-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #26
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait till you're exchange gets upgraded to ADSL2+ (up to speeds of 24Mbps). That's your best bet (and depending on what exchange you're on - you might have it already). It's availability is growing very very rapidly.

Dispite what anyone says - iiNet offers a great product (among many other ISP's that now start to offer ADSL2+). People that get upset usually just couldn't read or understand product info.

Last edited by Deadman; 17-01-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post