Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #31
commandojones

Default Re: What to do?....

I have researched a kenne bell system, 12k for the set up apparently. That's huge. Bottom end and gearbox would need work to cope. I love that blue xh ute from street built called 2screws, that thing is insane! Making an au similar to that would be awesome, I'm guessing 25k minimum to get to where he is at...
commandojones is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #32
MrEL
Sick Puppy

When you take depreciation into your costings on an FG dont forget to include the interest you will be forking out.
No matter what you do that money is gone. Even if an FG doesnt depreciate that much the interest is still gone.
The twinlight kit uses the Commonwhore 6 speed as they are cheaper and much more readily available then the Ford 6 speeds.
Remember the commo 6 speed was around in the VX.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #33
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

If I were you I'd stick with the AU. Tidy it up to make it look as presentable as possible (a bit of elbow grease goes a long way).
Then get a set of Pacemaker extractors, some nice wheels and lower the suspension a bit.

Will still be a great car to drive and it's not all about keeping up with the Joneses (paying interest on a depreciating asset) after all.
The pushrod Windsor has a better exhaust note than a turbo 6 or 5.4 too - just my opinion.
Old 26-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #34
commandojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
When you take depreciation into your costings on an FG dont forget to include the interest you will be forking out.
No matter what you do that money is gone. Even if an FG doesnt depreciate that much the interest is still gone.
The twinlight kit uses the Commonwhore 6 speed as they are cheaper and much more readily available then the Ford 6 speeds.
Remember the commo 6 speed was around in the VX.
Yeh the interest paid on my blue BA xr6 was ridiculous, I really don't want to do that again.

Ok, I thought it was because of the availability but I wanted to confirm, they are a few ford t56s that pop up on ebay.

The other thing is, I like to fiddle and fart around with a car on the weekend (not fixing or repairing daily but tinkering) I get satisfaction from it. An FG is already nice as it is, so I wouldn't be doing much work on it.

Yes the sound of a Windsor is very addictive, tough as nails. If I can dig some images up of the car I will post them see what you guys think.
Old 26-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #35
commandojones

Here a few images of the car if anyone is interested. The first two are the day I picked it up.

Other two are more recent.

Car background:

2001 AUII XR8 Silhouette 5 spd sedan. Leather interior. Tow bar
I bought from a single owner for $6,200 in feb 2013 as my blue xr6 was written off.

So far I have replace the following:
Fuel pump - GS 342 Fuel pump - (this made the car not cut out under load)
Cat back exhaust - 3" inch Rage, single resonator and h dog
Cam sychroniser - dorman chinese special
Alternator - old one died
Brake rotors - ADB slotted and drilled
K&N panel filter - don't like buying paper filters every year.
Gear box input shaft seal.

Issues:
Rear main seal is weeping slightly - stop leak gunk is sufficient for now.
Front bar and bonnet is covered in stone chips
Roof clear coat is cloudy.

Does that make a difference to anyone opinion? One day soon I will hopefuly have a build thread on this car.

I'm pretty settled on keeping it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0169.jpg (61.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0170.jpg (60.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0622.jpg (32.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0650.jpg (78.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0016.jpg (57.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 26-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #36
shyun

Doesn't sound too bad, Just needs a bit of paint...I think all windsors leak out the rear main so that's to be expected. I don't think it's been mentioned but how many k's has this done.
shyun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #37
commandojones

Yeah when I had the gearbox seal replaced the mechanic said don't bother changing the real seal yet, not a real big deal.

It has just clocked up 305,000kms........ it still drives really nice, doesn't blow any blue smoke or burn oil. A rebuild is on the cards.

I manage 13.33L/100km so i'm pretty happy with a v8 that does that.