Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #31
aw0303

Default Re: Holden SSV Redline drive impressions.

Cam and springs on a redline should be around north of 300kw? I have a 09 VE SSV wagon with full exhaust, cam and valve spring upgrade makes around 320rwkw with a good tune (manual).
Cheers.
aw0303 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #32
Rodge
Banned

^^ I spoke with Eastern Automotive here in Auckland and yeah, they reckon with the Walkingshaw 310 package plus a cam and I guess they fitted the different valve springs and maybe one or two other bits and pieces there's is making ~ 400 fwkw's, so I guess that's about 320 rwkw's allowing for 20% driveline losses and that supports what you've just said so it is possible to extract good power out of these 6.0L engines, albeit with significant modifications.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #33
aw0303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
^^ I spoke with Eastern Automotive here in Auckland and yeah, they reckon with the Walkingshaw 310 package plus a cam and I guess they fitted the different valve springs and maybe one or two other bits and pieces there's is making ~ 400 fwkw's, so I guess that's about 320 rwkw's allowing for 20% driveline losses and that supports what you've just said so it is possible to extract good power out of these 6.0L engines, albeit with significant modifications.
Yeah mate, I'm happy with mine still has good fuel economy for such a big heavy car, around 14-15l/100km around town 8-9l/100km freeway run. I guess it depends if you like the sound and manners of an old school pushrod cammed V8 or the forced induction rush of the newer tech ford engines. They are both good things I reckon but I must admit, I like a lumpy idle! (Starting to show my age!)
Cheers.
aw0303 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #34
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw0303 View Post
Yeah mate, I'm happy with mine still has good fuel economy for such a big heavy car, around 14-15l/100km around town 8-9l/100km freeway run. I guess it depends if you like the sound and manners of an old school pushrod cammed V8 or the forced induction rush of the newer tech ford engines. They are both good things I reckon but I must admit, I like a lumpy idle! (Starting to show my age!)
Cheers.
On the same page with you there mate .
Old 26-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #35
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HI Rodge
You might find it worthwhile to ask EASTERN AUTOMOTIVE about the revs needed to get 400 FWKW.
To calculate torque in Nm the formula is as follows:-
T = kW x 9549/RPM (For power in kW its........kW = Nm x RPM/9549).
I believe the standard 260 kW Auto engine has it's claimed max power at 5700 RPM so we are looking at around 435.6 Nm at these Revs.
If the suggested mods can give 400 kW at these revs then we are looking at around 670 Nm which is around a 53.8% increase and I'd say that's a great engine, more likely though, I suspect they may say something like 6500 or 7000 RPM. If it was 6500 RPM then that's around 35% more torque and if it's say 7000 RPM then it's around a 25% rise which to me would seem more likely.
Now if the engine has to go to 7000 RPM to make the power, you might ask yourself what sort of overall driveability/economy/noise and long term reliability issues would their be? Personally I think the current V8 Commodore is a very good car, but equally I think the above highlights the limitations of N/A engines. Remember standard air is only 14.7 Psi.
One thing I can say though, is that my standard, untuned FG Turbo has bags of torque as demonstrated by the following 0-100 kph run that it managed with the Auto locked in second gear and that's a gear that's high enough to run beyond 110 kph. I was particularly pleased with the 0-60 kph time (revs are about 3275 RPM at 60).
0-20..............0.88sec
0-40..............1.68sec
0-60..............2.64sec
0-80..............3.74sec
0-100kph.......4.90seconds.

Last edited by 2242100; 26-03-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: I added the word untuned
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #36
strik9
aka fpv747

rodge from everything i,ve read from you. go to the top mate,gts if you get anything less you won't be happy. just knowing somthing better is out there will drive you crazy and you won't be happy
stop torturing yourself fpv is done mate( mind you i,m many beers in and may not even be relevant . but pretty sure it is)
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #37
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strik9 View Post
rodge from everything i,ve read from you. go to the top mate,gts if you get anything less you won't be happy. just knowing somthing better is out there will drive you crazy and you won't be happy
stop torturing yourself fpv is done mate( mind you i,m many beers in and may not even be relevant . but pretty sure it is)
There's an old saying that a few beers the truth comes out , or words similar to that, I can't remember.
I'm presently trying my best to get HSV N.Z. too see my point of view about their Kiwi pricing. Might as well bash my head into a brick wall for all the good its doing.