Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
bergr01
Starter Motor

Unhappy Power steering issue - help!

hi,

My wife and I have a 2008 Ford Mondeo TDCI, with about 68,000km on the odometer. It's been regularly serviced (mostly at Ford service centers). In recent times it has acquired a really bad habit of locking up the steering wheel when driving at low speeds (e.g. when parking in the driveway or driving out of the parking lot at a supermarket). I mentioned this when servicing the car last time at Courtney & Patterson Ford in Heidelberg... they mentioned something about 'maybe this is an issue with a power steering pump, but we're not sure, but it'd cost $1000+ to get the pump replaced and even then we're not guaranteed it'd solve your issue'.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/recommendations on how to approach this... does this sound like a common/known issue?

(Power steering fluid levels seem to be fine. When my father-in-law and I inspected the fusebox in the car, we noticed that some fuse related to power steering - as per Mondeo manual - didn't even seem to be installed).

Thanks in advance,
Greg

bergr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Default Re: Power steering issue - help!

My guess would also be the power steering pump. Especially if you put it in neutral and rev the engine, and the steering works better.
Wombat John is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
furiousgibbon

Is it notchy in the centre, worse on cold mornings and gets better when the car is warm or ambient temperature is higher? If so it's sticky valves in the rack. Happened on my 07 Focus XR5, I put up with it for 3 winters and then sold it to a friend (told him the rack would need to be rebuilt though). I've seen costs anywhere between $500 and $900, and whatever you do don't take it to Pedders.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
bergr01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgibbon View Post
Is it notchy in the centre, worse on cold mornings and gets better when the car is warm or ambient temperature is higher? If so it's sticky valves in the rack. Happened on my 07 Focus XR5, I put up with it for 3 winters and then sold it to a friend (told him the rack would need to be rebuilt though). I've seen costs anywhere between $500 and $900, and whatever you do don't take it to Pedders.
I'm pretty sure I've had it happen on warm afternoons, after 20+ kms of driving from my parents place, when pulling into my driveway...

and sorry, but what do you mean by 'notchy'?
Old 28-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

If by locking up you mean that you basically lose the power steering (steering becomes really heavy on an intermittent basis) then you may have a rack/pump problem. I've had my rack and pump changed to overcome this issue. There is a huge thread on rack/pump problems in the Mondeo over at the talkford forums in the UK. It's a known issue. The theory seems to be that seals in the rack break down and cause intermittent blockages in the pump. Have you experienced any light knocking or thud sounds from the steering?
Old 28-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
bergr01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo View Post
If by locking up you mean that you basically lose the power steering (steering becomes really heavy on an intermittent basis) then you may have a rack/pump problem. I've had my rack and pump changed to overcome this issue. There is a huge thread on rack/pump problems in the Mondeo over at the talkford forums in the UK. It's a known issue. The theory seems to be that seals in the rack break down and cause intermittent blockages in the pump. Have you experienced any light knocking or thud sounds from the steering?
I don't recall hearing any knocking or thud sounds. Thanks for the UK forum reference, will do some digging there. Is replacement of a rack/pump a costly exercise? Is it something I need to stick with Ford service centers for? The car is a few years out of warranty now...
Old 28-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
furiousgibbon

I mean notchy as in the steering feels like it gets stuck in the centre, and takes a good amount of force to push it off centre. When it does it happens with a dull thud. It may not be what's happening to yours.

Here's an example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMF8zU9YaA
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergr01 View Post
Is replacement of a rack/pump a costly exercise? Is it something I need to stick with Ford service centers for? The car is a few years out of warranty now...
Unfortunately it is costly. My understanding is that the rack replacement is more than what you've been quoted for the pump but that was from a Ford dealer. Hopefully your diagnosis will be something else.