Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LWB AU's

Some time in the next two to three weeks i am looking at getting my 2nd AU, and for me, believe it or not, I am looking at an Auto - can't believe I wrote that. My choice has come down to three cars

Car A - 1999 AU Fairlane Ghia (VCT) which looks like it lust rolled off the production line (107k). My only worry is the Series 1 brakes - do I need to worry or update them.

Car B - 2002 AU Fairlane Ghia (5L) looks good and has 160k on the clock. V8 or I6 doesn't worry me but prefer I6.

Car C - 2007 BF11 XR6 - (106k) - love the colour and the fact it is a six speed manual.

I have followed the thoughts of those expressing their love of the AU, so does it extend to LWB models, is there anything I need to specifically look for.

Yes, before anyone says so, I do realise the BF is not an AU

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: LWB AU's

S1 brakes, in good condition, really aren't as bad as many make them out to be.

But you can upgrade them. Mine runs decent rotors and pads and it makes a difference.

Rust, seen a lot of au's coming up with serious rust issues, mine included.

With mine, if you walked around it, put it up on a hoist etc you wouldnt find a single bit of rust.
But get on your back in the boot and look under the back window and its rotten.

But, awesome car to drive, everything just works.

But I'd go the bf.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car B in a 5 litre would be awesome.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my vct has been really a good engine in my AU, and i have nothing but praise for it and the car, that being said if i had my time over again , i would have gone with the 8 cylinder,

not a lot of fuel consumption difference............. and not knowing that at the time of buying mine, i thought be practical and buy the more economical 6,
and no matter what you do with a 4 or 6 nothing sounds so nice as an v8 burbling away from the lights.
as for au or bf, its a tuff call, a pristine au is a bloody good daily unit, my only real worry is availability of some parts , although 99% you can get after market, the other thing is they are getting long in the tooth now, perhaps the best thing is to take them all for a drive and see which one puts a smile on your face .
lets us know how you go Vincenzo, good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Tough decision Vincenzo. Of course my opinion is biased and proud, but I love my LWB - as you have probably guessed.

As you know I am a proud AU man, and have now had experience with my V8 LWB, my I6 Futura and now my V8 T2. I am trying to be objective here (the best I can, anyway). A big factor will depend on what you are looking for in a second car. If it is to be a daily driver/cruiser, I would go either of the AU LWB cars anyway. Although I have never had experience with a VCT, all reports are a VCT and V8 are pretty much the same for economy. Makes the V8 a hands down in that pair. 160K is nothing on these engines. Condition of the auto will be the big factor for either LWB.

Car C, does appear logical as it is much newer, will have a lot more zip (especially being a manual). These cars are about the same weight as the AU LWBs (if not more). I do not know what the economy of a Barra in a BF XR6 is, but for sure the manual would help in that department as well.

AU LWB economy would be around 9-10L/100 (in the v8 anyway) on the highway and 100kph (I know you are in the NT - shut up Vince) and around 15L/100 around town.

I would love to see you buy one of the LWBs as they are such a beautiful car to drive and so so comfortable. That is just me.

My concluding statement. How many times have we read (I assume you do quite a bit of reading on this forum) of guys (and gals) going from an AU to B series or FG and comment on how much they miss their AU as a drivers car.

Good luck with your decision. AU V8 would be my choice all day.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like you, I have an absolute love of the AU. Which ever way I go my current XR6 will be sold and whatever I buy will be my one and only vehicle. I have been a strict 4 / 6cyl guy except for a short period in a V8 Commodore. Although pushing toward 60, I am still a bit of a boy racer so i figured if I got myself a Limo there would be less chance of doing anything stupid with it / in it.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Pushing 60? Easy - go grandpa spec Fairlane! V8 will go a little way to satisfying the boy racer in you - especially when economy is around the same as the I6 VCT (I don't think you will find an non VCT 6 cyl Fairlane). The V8 is also a S2, which means better brakes.

As mik reports above, the V8 burble cannot be beaten. It will also help with the boy racer in you. Even if they are not quick, they at least sound it!

Sorry, I will leave you to your decision. As said, I am biased!

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I love my Fairlane, so much I bought a second one. That was because it was better value to buy another one than it was to fix the suspension on the first one, but my first one needed a full suspension rebuild front to back. Mine is the most comfortable car I've ever had and I can drive for 10 hours and get out of it without being stiff.

As for issues, there aren't too many, and they all have solutions so none are fatal; but a couple that I've had to deal with are:

1) The IRS is unique to AU and isn't cheap to rebuild if something fails. Having said that, it won't fail every 100k like the centre bush on the B series.
2) The climate control screen. Once it starts to fail it can be hard to find another good one that won't also fail in short order.... but I do have a fix.
3) Because the Au fairlane is an orphan amongst orphans, parts can be hard to find and very expensive. Try finding an aerial mast or replacement headlights that won't make you cringe at the price.
4) The high series ABS unit can fail but there is a guy is Sydney who can fix it permenently.
5) The 6 stacker head unit can jamb up. When mine did it I pulled it apart and discovered one of the drive sprockets had hopped over a couple of teeth in it's toothed track. Once reset it has been fine ever since.

Apart from that, mine has been pretty much bullet proof, and I don't baby it. Service it regularly and treat it with a modicum of respect and it'll just keep going.

Personally I'd take the S2 over the S1, then put some slotted discs on it.

If you choose the Fairlane there are plenty of us AU 'lane tragics to clue you in to the tips and tricks and if you're a bit handy you can overcome most issues yourself.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Car B for me! The uniqueness, the sound etc, they're a special bit of kit those AU Fairlanes / LTD's imo. Good luck whichever way you go Vince!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

S2 over S1 just for the updated instrumentation cluster
Old 08-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
in_xcess

Option c.

Your biggest expense to consider on the AU's is the brakes and gearbox. The four speed in the AU is terrible if not rebuilt since factory. Even AUII brakes will warp and brake shudder will rear its ugly head even if upgraded and/or new rotors fitted. The best thing about the AU is you can still work on them yourself and they are cheap, cheap, cheap. The v8 will hold its value but you'd be better with an XR series III at 220kw or a TE or TS. However, if the price difference between the v8 and bf is considerable, I'd go the AU but check out that gearbox.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the AU auto's, Be sure to fit a trans cooler if it hasn't already got one...Even if you don't plan to tow anything.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

There's nothing wrong with the old BTR IMO. The one in our wagon has never been touched in nearly 400k and doesn't have a cooler and has towed heavy loads and trailers from one side of the country to the other and is still going strong. As with any car, it's how it was used from day 1. If it was just a town commuter then that's how the engine, drive train, seals and gaskets etc. will wear in,and if you suddenly decide to use it as a highway cruiser you'll start to get niggles and leaks . If it was used as a traveller and did plenty of highway work then the same applies, the motor, drive train, seals etc. will wear in accordingly as the parts would have been through the higher temps and pressure cycles inherent in high speed use. If you are buying it for commuter duties, you'll have no dramas but if you're buying it as a highway cruiser, make sure it has done that early in it's life so you know the drive train is up to it.

As an example, back in the early 00s' I had 2 EL wagons one after the other. The first was a high k reps car that had towed a trailer and the second was a lower k city commuter. The reps car was more reliable, went harder and was more economical on fuel and required nothing but oil and filters the whole time I had it. The second car had a thrashed bush in the shifter, warped the brakes, blew a radiator, needed the drivers seat bolster replaced etc., etc. No one major problem, just one niggle after another..... and it never went as hard or as economically as the first one.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as the BTR is serviced regularly it should last for many years. I've found them to be a strong dependable unit.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another satisfied btr in au owner, have also done a fair bit of towing , still going strong at 230,000 kliks, imo its very hard to fault the btr other than its 1st gear being a bit long legged and that is really a non issue , and its hard to beat when you get a factory change over transmission supplied and fitted for just over 2k.
most of the more modern wizz bang transmissions will be double or triple or more the cost.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive never had trouble with a BTR (EL Ghia I6, AU2 Fairmont I6 and now TE50).

Id get the V8 'lane.

You will lose 50-100kms in range but gain so much more. If you are doing cruisey driving the difference will be less.

The I6 is great but the sucker needs to be on LPG.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_xcess View Post
Option c.

Your biggest expense to consider on the AU's is the brakes and gearbox. The four speed in the AU is """"Terrible if not serviced regularly and cooled""". Even AUII brakes will warp and brake shudder will rear its ugly head even if upgraded and/or new rotors fitted. The best thing about the AU is you can still work on them yourself and they are cheap, cheap, cheap. The v8 will hold its value but you'd be better with an XR series III at 220kw or a TE or TS. However, if the price difference between the v8 and bf is considerable, I'd go the AU but check out that gearbox.