Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Falcon56
Starter Motor

Default Steering alignment out after servicing at Ford

So I took my XR6T into my local Ford dealer for its 45,000km service on Thursday. Sheared diff bushes got replaced under warranty, but other than that just an ordinary service.

Didn't notice anything amiss when I drove it home Friday morning, but driving to work later on I noticed that to drive straight, I had to have the wheel turned a bit to the right. If I had the wheel in the most upright position, the car would turn left quite rapidly.

I just want some opinions on the best course of action. Take it back to Ford to get this fixed (hopefully for free), or take it to somewhere like Pedders or Beaurepaires and pay for a realignment?

Cheers guys
Just arrived: XR6 Sprint #259 in Kinetic

Previous ride: 2012 Auto XR6T Limited Edition in Swift Green
Falcon56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Steering alignment out after servicing at Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon56 View Post
So I took my XR6T into my local Ford dealer for its 45,000km service on Thursday. Sheared diff bushes got replaced under warranty, but other than that just an ordinary service.

Didn't notice anything amiss when I drove it home Friday morning, but driving to work later on I noticed that to drive straight, I had to have the wheel turned a bit to the right. If I had the wheel in the most upright position, the car would turn left quite rapidly.

I just want some opinions on the best course of action. Take it back to Ford to get this fixed (hopefully for free), or take it to somewhere like Pedders or Beaurepaires and pay for a realignment?

Cheers guys
Typical. Just had the rear wheel bearings replaced on daughters Forester and it was way out after. Quick trip to the suspension shop and $56 and all correct.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both of my FG's had there steering wheel slightly to the left from new, I just got used to it. I don't know why they can't build them straight from the factory. Audi and BMW can.
Old 26-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Both of my FG's had there steering wheel slightly to the left from new, I just got used to it. I don't know why they can't build them straight from the factory. Audi and BMW can.
They should have caught that on the pre delivery, half the problem there is getting the bloke... woops ... person /mechanic/apprentice doing the PD that is conchy enough to not say, "she`ll be right " , and just tick the box instead of actually checking the alignment, a common fault in some dealers unfortunately.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

If they did diff bushes they've had the irs out. Your problem is the irs unit hasn't been put back in straight. Don't get a wheel alignment done. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to align the irs unit. If they look at you stupid find another dealer.
You can check for yourself if you want to stick your head under the back of it. Right at the back where the irs unit mounts to the body is the alignment holes. One is round and the other side is oval and about 1-2 inches in diameter right near the rear 18mm mounting bolts on the left and right hand sides. Also check for witness marks around the mounting nuts. If you can see witness marks around the 18mm mounting nuts then it hasn't been put back in the same spot and will be out.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

They may have just rotated the tyres for you.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
They may have just rotated the tyres for you.
Meaning what exactly?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Falcon56
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
If they did diff bushes they've had the irs out. Your problem is the irs unit hasn't been put back in straight. Don't get a wheel alignment done. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to align the irs unit. If they look at you stupid find another dealer.
You can check for yourself if you want to stick your head under the back of it. Right at the back where the irs unit mounts to the body is the alignment holes. One is round and the other side is oval and about 1-2 inches in diameter right near the rear 18mm mounting bolts on the left and right hand sides. Also check for witness marks around the mounting nuts. If you can see witness marks around the 18mm mounting nuts then it hasn't been put back in the same spot and will be out.
Thanks man, I'll check it out.
Just arrived: XR6 Sprint #259 in Kinetic

Previous ride: 2012 Auto XR6T Limited Edition in Swift Green
Falcon56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

If your tyres are wearing funny/different it can pull the steering a bit.
So can flat tyres.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

If they have done a wheel alignment, (and assuming it's not an uneven tyre pressure problem), then this is a very common complaint from consumers after a poor alignment. The problem stems from the fact that the mechanic has not centred your steering wheel properly before locking it to the foot pedal before making the alignment adjustments. If you have to hold your steering wheel to the right to go in a straight line, it means a simple adjustment to each tie-rod.
In your case, I'd say if your steering wheel is off by just a few degrees and you are going to the left when you centre the steering wheel, then the driver's side tie-rod needs to be turned a quarter turn anti-clockwise to lengthen it, and the passenger side tie-rod a quarter turn clockwise to shorten it by an equal amount, so your alignment remains the same, but your steering wheel now becomes centred and your front wheels are pointing straight.
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: