Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
Adambf
Banned

Default is the ls3 ss too expensive?

I want to buy a brand new holden or ford. A final falcon or commodorw before they stop production.

The xr8 looks great and considering its supercharged v8 the low $60k price tag seems reasonable

But then the ss was released with the 6.2 v8 and i was expecting to see them for mid to high 40s.. but even the old 6.0 v8 seems to be mid to high 50s for a ssv.

That is now xr8 level of pricing with less engine performance.

The clubsport r8 with supercharger is out of my price at the $80k mark but id love that.. ss looks with xr8 performance.

The xr8 seems to be the poor mans clubsport at $60k, same performance as hsv but overall package rough compared to hsv offer.

But the ss just seems too expensive to buy at near xr8 pricing. I actually like the ss better but for a few thousand more why not grab the supercharged package such as xr8?. It would be a more rewarding drive. When would you use the better handling of the ss for 95% street duties?

I want the ss but for mid to high 40s, xr8 ok at $60k and clubsport out of my price range at $80k

Ss too expensive comparatively speaking to an xr8?
This user likes this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: is the ls3 ss too expensive?

You're getting hung up on power output. Put the spec lists side by side and see how much more the SS comes with, then decide. I don't know what made you think you'd get an SSV in the mid-high 40s, that's never been the case... and Holden have had zero trouble moving them.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't take you long to get sick of the Aurion...
Old 02-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd have the Miami over an LS3 any day.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
Old 02-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHawk View Post
I'd have the Miami over an LS3 any day.
What about the rest of the car ?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't really give a **** about the rest of the car with a blown Miami under the bonnet.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
5 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Welcome back Hulk.

LS3 SS sedan will go for mid-high 40s. If you want bang for buck, there it is. If you want a Redline model yes it will be in the 50s, it doesn't take a genius to realise why once you start reading the specs sheet.

They're on different planets, totally different cars. Both great in their own ways, each ending life on a high note. Is an SSV-R too expensive? No. In fact for what you're getting, it's arguably not expensive enough.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I think the XR8 is much more of a driver's car. The comfort, that supercharged whine, and less tech to go wrong.

As for the Commo, you get more tech like the self park, lane departure, I think a HUD, and a newer interior (which I personally think looks cheap), but less power and no blower. Plus that rear end, bleh!

So it's a choice - a great cruiser with an awesome exhaust note and whine under the hood, or an uprated V8 Commo with extra tech, most likely better on the track (time wise), but not as much power, and lacking a little of the XR8's character. Both great rides, it comes down to what works for you and what you will be happy with. Trip to the dealer might be in order?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

TBH the SS wins in everyway but engine performance and some prefer the N/A over S/C.

However me Im a ford man I will tip my hat to holden/hsv but I would have to have a S/C GT in my shed before I even though about getting a commodore.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
I think the XR8 is much more of a driver's car.
If you drive in a straight line, yes. The VF is a better steer.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
Adambf
Banned

I have attended a dealer to drive the fgx xr8.

Also driven the ss but not the 6.2 version. They were doing the storm ss 6.0 for $44500 but now it has the 6.2 and they want over $50k?

For similar money its almost impossible to ignore the supercharged Miami of the xr8 even though the rest of the car isnt any more advanced than my old silver bf xr.

Other than the motor, the ss has it in every other way. The 6.2 V8 is just so tempting but its still no supercharged miami.. So confused.

Ss ls3 at $45k you would be nuts not to buy today. But at low to mid 50s you can start smelling the xr8 at $60k.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #12
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Most of the cheap SS's are old stock aren't they? No wonder the LS3's aren't cheap yet, they've barely built any.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
Struggo

5 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go and drive a Redline. It is better than the regular SS in every way (engine aside). With the LS3, it's going to be a much tougher decision between it and XR8.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a redline and then get a walkinshaw supercharger fitted and retain the factory warranty, sorted.

Current Rides
2014 FGX XR8 - Kinetic, auto.
Mods: Manta Twin 3" S/S Cat Back - Loud Version, DPE High Flow Cats, KPM Streetfighter Stage 2 Intercooler, KPM Twin Air Filter, Herrod High Flow Fuel Pump, JLT/Herrod Oil Catch Can.
Tuned by Monsta Torque to 403rwkw.
2013 Ranger XL - White.

Previous Rides
2005 BA MK 2 XR8 - Winter White, auto, custom twin 2 1/2" s/s exhaust, pacemaker extractors.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #16
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
If you drive in a straight line, yes. The VF is a better steer.
Yeah, I know that, but we aren't talking about track days here. I'm talking about a nice drive up in the mountains with the S/C whine at the front, and the snap/crackle/pop in the rear. I probably should have said cruiser.

I wish the XR had some of the goodies the Commo does, but I'm not too worried about it and good luck to em. At least Holden is finally yanking that asthmatic donk out and putting something nice in there.

I could easily own one, but I'm happy with my decision.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adambf View Post
I want to buy a brand new holden or ford. A final falcon or commodorw before they stop production.

The xr8 looks great and considering its supercharged v8 the low $60k price tag seems reasonable

But then the ss was released with the 6.2 v8 and i was expecting to see them for mid to high 40s.. but even the old 6.0 v8 seems to be mid to high 50s for a ssv.

That is now xr8 level of pricing with less engine performance.

The clubsport r8 with supercharger is out of my price at the $80k mark but id love that.. ss looks with xr8 performance.

The xr8 seems to be the poor mans clubsport at $60k, same performance as hsv but overall package rough compared to hsv offer.

But the ss just seems too expensive to buy at near xr8 pricing. I actually like the ss better but for a few thousand more why not grab the supercharged package such as xr8?. It would be a more rewarding drive. When would you use the better handling of the ss for 95% street duties?

I want the ss but for mid to high 40s, xr8 ok at $60k and clubsport out of my price range at $80k

Ss too expensive comparatively speaking to an xr8?
Stop Trolling our Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
This is a barnstorming car. SS with LS3

Big hairy chested 6.2 litre V8. Brilliant looking car. Feature packed.

The new fords are still very strong on performance, but lack features and to be honest dont look the best.

I think the new supercharged clubsport and SS will really eat unto xr8 sales..

Ill either buy a brand new SS LS3 or an XR8 when ford struggle to offload them and discount to around $50k... my prediction is that WILL happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Very happy with the aurion.. top car, it will blow the doors off any stock non boosted fords...

But i dont just settle on one car. The ss ls3 will make its way into my garage. Its a far better car overall than a fgx xr6t or xr8.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread