Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
solidute

Default Losing my mechanic mojo. How do I stop it

So I've been realizing that I've lost some of my mechanic mojo over the years of being out of the trade. I completed my apprenticeship and was qualified for a year before chasing the $ and wanting to work closer to home. Its been a little over 10 years since I turned a spanner for cash and I'm noticing more and more that I can't remember some basic part names and my diagnostics are nearly shot. This really annoys me and I'd like to know if anyone else has been or is in the same boat and how can I get myself out of it. I want to be able to get out of this funk so I don't feel so stupid when some obvious **** is pointed out to me that I really should have known.

My text books were damaged by mice so I don't have them to glance over. Any ideas without spending hours on the computer googling stuff? I'm more than happy to read a book as I can do it at lunch at work etc. I know that I won't need retraining just a memory jog kinda thing
solidute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Losing my mechanic mojo. How do I stop it

Makes it hard mate they keep shifting the goal posts all the time with technology, so very hard to keep up especially if you have been out for a while.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is surprising how much day to day knowledge just slips away with lack of use. That said, if you are having trouble with recalling common names of tools and straight forward fault decision tree processes; that may point to an underlying issue that is interfering with cognitive processes. The first stop would be to make an extended consultation with your local GP, discuss the problem, and to rule out any potential underlying issues. The second step would be to rebuild the skill sets that you desire. Start again from scratch (in the field of knowledge you require). Since you have done it before, it should be relatively simple to race through the early stages. Some possible techniques would be to borrow books from the local library. If you are nearby a TAFE college, they often allow visitors to sit in the library and use their technical resources. Finally, don’t be embarrassed to look up information. I have a trade and multiple degrees. But, I too have to occasionally pull out the book, look up the internet, or check with a colleague on how to do stuff that other practicing tradies do every day.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Buy a cheap repair manual for your car, that’ll at least have breakdowns and names you can reference for parts.

If it’s a memory problem that goes beyond being able to recall the technical aspects of an old profession then do what has already been suggested and seek the advice of a Doctor.

If you are like me, I have suffered from technology overload when it comes to modern cars.

I still like working on my old cars but other than basic maintenance I leave the new cars to the pros.

I'm a retired Civil Engineer, I've been out of the game for over 10 years and I'd have a hell of a time catching up again.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidute View Post
So I've been realizing that I've lost some of my mechanic mojo over the years of being out of the trade. I completed my apprenticeship and was qualified for a year before chasing the $ and wanting to work closer to home. Its been a little over 10 years since I turned a spanner for cash and I'm noticing more and more that I can't remember some basic part names and my diagnostics are nearly shot. This really annoys me and I'd like to know if anyone else has been or is in the same boat and how can I get myself out of it. I want to be able to get out of this funk so I don't feel so stupid when some obvious **** is pointed out to me that I really should have known.

My text books were damaged by mice so I don't have them to glance over. Any ideas without spending hours on the computer googling stuff? I'm more than happy to read a book as I can do it at lunch at work etc. I know that I won't need retraining just a memory jog kinda thing
Only way is to get back into the trade otherwise you just fall behind, with new technology being introduced makes it hard.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Brodes
Brodes

Next time service your car yourself, plan a whole day to do it slowly and have a general look over & spend some time fixing those small annoying problems; hands on work is always a great memory jogger.

I lost my mojo and interest a few years ago when I still had projects in the shed, so I forced myself to spend a few days in the cave which reignited my interest.
Old 17-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Well to be honest it's not like you were in the trade all that long so it's no wonder you are forgetting stuff.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless your working on tools fulltime and keeping up with changes to technology your bound to loose your "Mojo". I'm 74 but still do all my own servicing and minor repairs.
While not a qualified mechanic was always involved in speedway both myself and later with my son and we built all our engines etc, the old 186 holdens and 179 falcons were very simple and had plenty of room under the bonnet, not the same as today.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
MattSAU2XR8

Assuming four years in the trade and then ten years out it might not be that surprising to be forgetting some things, and obviously you wouldn't be learning new things each day in this field if not working in it. And cars seem to be getting more and more computerised and less and less serviceable...

As regards whether you have a problem with your memory, this would be more likely if you were having trouble remembering things related to your present day to day life - eg. elderly people forget what groceries they meant to buy, how to get home from new places, that they left the stove on, and so on. And in a general sense you could 'diagnose' a new problem with forgetfulness based on either, or more ideally both of:
- Poor memory for new facts, eg. watch a TV program today with a mate and tomorrow he remembers the details and you don't,
- This memory problem has some impact on your life, eg. can't keep up at work, or manage your home or social life.

If its only knowing about cars that bothering you I'm sure you could track down some recent TAFE manuals or similar and read them, lots of students probably drop out and sell them on ebay. Although unless you use the knowledge regularly it will still tend to dissipate. Could also be a motivational issue since when you were working as mechanic you were getting paid to know where now its more a hobby?

All this said, as per above if you're really worried could see you GP, but be sure to go in armed with a list of all the different things you can't remember, or can't do, which you could previously remember or do, and how it is affecting your life. Otherwise will be hard for him to work out if there is in fact a problem with your memory.
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
MattSAU2XR8

Or you may in fact be getting smarter - I've found the less time I spend playing with my car (lowering, tunes, exhausts, scouring carsales for upgrades) the more money and time I have :-)
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its hard to beat being hands on for familiarizing yourself with a previous skill .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #12
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
its hard to beat being hands on for familiarizing yourself with a previous skill .
I agree with that. I've been doing electrical for a few days short of a decade, and the new guy at work (in his 50's) was upfront in saying that he had been in the fire industry for 25 years, so whilst he had done the best part of everything before he has to relearn a few things. I used to get a couple of calls a day for seemingly simple problems, it was only due to forgetting things or new systems that weren't around back in the day. The basic principles are the same, and the guy is doing a pretty good job. Most times I get a call after saying "you know what, I knew that" which is why I don't have an issue with helping out. I have worked with a lot of genuine dopes before who I don't hold their hands through jobs, but someone who has the knowledge stored back there somewhere but needs a reminder here or there I have no problem helping out. Makes my job easier
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
solidute

Yeah cheers. Ok so first off its not an oh **** issue like i leave the oven on and forgotten that I've done it or anything like that. Its more of a I haven't been doing this for so long that the basics are slipping thing. I still do all my own repairs and services etc but I find things like with certain suspension components I can't put a name on when looking right at it.
I guess it's probably a terminology thing not doing it daily or even weekly anymore so with that comes a confidence thing.
Yeah i was only in the trade for a few short years so I know that it wasn't long enough to be second nature.
I guess I'll have to just spend time in and under my vehicles and on the computer getting my **** together again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 17-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
.:4:.
Kicking back

Just don't be afraid to ask a question. If you know your stuff you know your stuff if that makes sense. Stupid questions are often asked by stupid people, yet if you ask somebody in the field in a way that proves you are in the know, they will give you an answer knowing you have the knowledge of how it works. Somewhat different to teaching someone how something works from the ground up.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's as much a terminology thing.
The other day in Repco I needed a brake line spanner. Said to a salesperson what I needed as previously stated but also added "you know like a ring spaneer but for brake lines".
Dude said no we don't stock that. Only what is hanging on the wall.
We walked over there & bingo. I said that is it. You do. He came out with some other term which it stated on the label.
I thought I made my specifications clear. Perhaps not.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #16
superyob
Banned

Situation normal. If you don't use it, you lose it. When I still worked in my trade as a diesel mechanic, I especially liked working on hydraulic systems but now many years later, I cannot tell the difference between a load sensing variable rotary piston pump and a hamburger with egg and pineapple from my local burger shop...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With what I plaid with in the trade, a fancy hydraulic system, had a high speed and low speed, if you got really technical you had piston pumps

I'm off the tools now but get more involved with this stuff playing with load sensing variable displacement, full CAN BUS electronics etc, just becasue you don't swing the spanners in anger doesn't mean you cant stay up to date.

I'm know where near as good as I would have been had I stayed on the tools, but I get by alright

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #18
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem View Post
The other day in Repco I needed a brake line spanner. Said to a salesperson what I needed as previously stated but also added "you know like a ring spaneer but for brake lines".
We walked over there & bingo. I said that is it. You do. He came out with some other term which it stated on the label.
Flare spanner?

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #19
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally don't believe that you can just "forget" something - it's all there, the knowledge, the terminology, the skills ..etc.. all you need are just the right cues (be it physical, visual or verbal) to trigger/recall them.

As others have said, these cues could be as simple as picking up a tool or even asking someone a quick question.

Regarding your question - have you tried perhaps YouTube? Depending on how you are as a learner (reading books or watching videos) would probably help you find the best way to recall/trigger these cues?
Old 18-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem
The problem with places like Repco etc.. is the Dudes behind the counter don't always know what things are or what they are for In this case, he didn't realise there was another Spanner in the building... Him !

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
Flare spanner?
Flare nut spanner, I believe !??

To the OP... Best way is to just get your hands dirty again. If you don't have a car to work on, either get one.... or help your Family & mates out with theirs from time to time.
I'm a Chippy... and I stuff around with cars to get my head out of Buildings. The more I play with newer cars, the more I learn. There's so many different variables with newer cars, that everyone needs to ask Q's at some point... so don't feel too bad.

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #21
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
The problem with places like Repco etc.. is the Dudes behind the counter don't always know what things are or what they are for In this case, he didn't realise there was another Spanner in the building... Him !

To the OP... Best way is to just get your hands dirty again. If you don't have a car to work on, either get one.... or help your Family & mates out with theirs from time to time.
I'm a Chippy... and I stuff around with cars to get my head out of Buildings. The more I play with newer cars, the more I learn. There's so many different variables with newer cars, that everyone needs to ask Q's at some point... so don't feel too bad.

D
The problem isn't restricted to Repco.Many times Iv'e gone to different shops to buy a product.When I ask,will this do such and such,the first response is to pick up the packet and start reading off the back of the pack.Sorry but I also can read the pack!What I want to know is can you tell if it will do what I want it to do
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #22
solidute

Quote:

D
Yeah as i said I still do all my own work and am confident enough to do it. just find myself in complete blanks trying to comprehend what the heck something is called, and sometimes common sense diagnostics go missing too and then I'm left looking the fool asking some "dumb for a qualified person" questions .

When I was convinced to leave the trade for my current job, I had bold statements of keeping up with my skill set as I didn't want to waste my time served in the trade. Well that obviously didn't happen
Old 18-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #23
FPV6

I left the trade some 20 years ago my problem was I working for Diahatsu Australia and we did an accelerated apprenticeships what a load

I got my trade cert in 2 years appose to the 4 every one else had to do it in, it was some deal that Diahatsu had with Tafe

there was 20 of us apprentices and the idea was that we would be filtered out to dealerships

who would want a qualified mechanic thats been in the trade for 2 years I guess the idea was grand oil chances are not that difficult

I spent 2 years putting on decals and fitting stereos and adjusting idle scews got my certificate and left and we where made redundant

now Im a fat pen pusher
Old 18-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Take some brahmi lol! Ten years out is a long time, you will probably have to relearn your stuff, just get some appropriate workshop manuals & read them to reacquaint yourself with the technical terms. Doing that may jog your memory?

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The problem with places like Repco etc.. is the Dudes behind the counter don't always know what things are or what they are for

But the repco ad's used to say "We know what it is and we know where it goes"

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #26
Twinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Situation normal. If you don't use it, you lose it. When I still worked in my trade as a diesel mechanic, I especially liked working on hydraulic systems but now many years later, I cannot tell the difference between a load sensing variable rotary piston pump and a hamburger with egg and pineapple from my local burger shop...

Remind me never to eat a hamburger at your house!
Twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #27
LTDHO
The one and only

Get back on the tools ASAP.

Offer to do work/servicing on family and friends cars. That should keep you busy and give you a little cash play money.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post