Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Unexpected Compliment

G'day all...This was nice..Yesterday after work the bloke I bought my 'work hack ' off to replace my very buggered old Mitsubishi Magna wagon turned up. I bought a tidy old Honda Accord off him circa 1985..Manual choke , carby of course and all..Beaut engine , new clutch drives really well..Cost me a grand with four months rego on it.Needs a wax though...
The agreement was that he'd bring the Honda if I could run him home fifty kilometres away..I couldn't get a ride to drop me off ..
I took him back in my XR6.. Turns out he's a massive Holden fan and owns a VF SS and a VE V6..The Honda was to be a run around but his partner decided it wasn't big enough so on to Gumtree it went.
Here's the kicker ,he loved my FG XR6..He asked me all about her as we went along , very impressed by the ZF trannie so I whacked it into manual and he thought it was terrific.. He's never really traveled in a later model Falcon and he really liked the overall comfort of the car , how quiet and yet grunty the old Barra was as well..
He picked up his VF SS only recently and loves it but was telling me the 3.6 litre VE has already done the timing chain and wished he'd kept his 3.8 Commodore that it replaced a few years ago.
He was genuinely impressed by the feel of the XR6 .I told him ,"you ought to see a Turbo version then'..He agreed..
Very unexpected and very happy to get such a response..
Now to give the little Accord a nice coat of polish.. Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-12-2016 at 10:16 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
MNTL.XD

Default Re: Unexpected Compliment

Give him a spin in a turbo and he'll sell all his Holdens, and all his Holden shirts, jackets, hats, all his memorabelia etc etc. and start going through depression from all those wasted years...
... happened to a friend of a friend of mine. lol.��
MNTL.XD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTL.XD View Post
Give him a spin in a turbo and he'll sell all his Holdens, and all his Holden shirts, jackets, hats, all his memorabelia etc etc. and start going through depression from all those wasted years...
... happened to a friend of a friend of mine. lol.��
G'day..I think you're correct...Even diehard Red Lion fans looooove the XR6 Turbo..
Matter of fact Shelly , the nice lady I dealt with at RACT last night when I put 3rd party on the Accord told me that she and her husband have a red BA XR6T built in 2004...Any excuse to drive it she told me..The temptation is just too great..That'd be the 240Kw one I suspect..Add another 30 base Kw's on in the later ones and the ability to tweak lots more and yep it'd be a Holden owner changer. I bet there's lots more come from the Dark Side to The Way The Truth and Life side than the other way..I mean , the choice of a fantastic 5 litre supercharged V8 or indeed the rocketship Turbo 6 or a bulletproof N/A six as opposed to a really good pushrod V8 and Alloytec V6 prone to timing drive issues way too often...
Add in a way better ZF auto transmission (everybody says so) and it's a no brainer really at least in the power and drivetrain areas .Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-12-2016 at 02:14 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Timing chains and these 3.6L commodores seems about as common as the gm diesel drinking oil.

Least with the barra motor it'll keep going.....shame its been retired.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Yes the XR6 Turbo is a beautiful car!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Timing chains and these 3.6L commodores seems about as common as the gm diesel drinking oil.

Least with the barra motor it'll keep going.....shame its been retired.
Yep, they're terrible, they do it from VZ, VE and VEII after supposedly fixing it.

My advice to anyone buying a Commodore, V8 only, no ifs or buts.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Falcojimmy

True, seems to be a hand grenade in the timing case with a 200,000 km or less fuse on it! Happened to me in the bosses VZ chariot and when he tried to find a new motor for it there was none around for anything approaching reasonable money. Wreckers are onto a real winner with any working V6's they can pull.
Can't sell a ford donk because the car usually dies before the motor!
Falcojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

We sell at least 2 timing chain kits at work a week for these beautiful engines even on VE II no doubt VF will be no different, but holden will tell you they don't have dramas, the same way a holden captiva should only be serviced every 15k
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...a bit of fun here in regard to our departed engines . It might be an imprecise pointer to two older versions of the Ford and Holden engine toughness..Painful to watch though for those of us who still drive a car with one of these aka my AUll... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR6sKfaBlGM&t=14s No oil , no fanbelt...Holden went 2minutes 47 seconds ..The dear old AU 30 minutes..I read somewhere else about this that the old inline 6 did re start next day but that's hard to believe , even for the mighty motor... Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-12-2016 at 07:52 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Yes the XR6 Turbo is a beautiful car!
G'day baboon..Certainly is a beautiful car..Have a quick look at what can be gained from a stock standard (FG XR6T in this instance) that features early on in this episode of OZ Garage.
All he did was a flash tune..nothing else and found a whopping extra 30 Kw..
Nice little vid via this link if anyone has some time to view. ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T45oOaD1KRY Cheers Rod..
Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
mick74GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day..I think you're correct...Even diehard Red Lion fans looooove the XR6 Turbo..
Matter of fact Shelly , the nice lady I dealt with at RACT last night when I put 3rd party on the Accord told me that she and her husband have a red BA XR6T built in 2004...Any excuse to drive it she told me..The temptation is just too great..That'd be the 240Kw one I suspect..Add another 30 base Kw's on in the later ones and the ability to tweak lots more and yep it'd be a Holden owner changer. I bet there's lots more come from the Dark Side to The Way The Truth and Life side than the other way..I mean , the choice of a fantastic 5 litre supercharged V8 or indeed the rocketship Turbo 6 or a bulletproof N/A six as opposed to a really good pushrod V8 and Alloytec V6 prone to timing drive issues way too often...
Add in a way better ZF auto transmission (everybody says so) and it's a no brainer really at least in the power and drivetrain areas .Cheers Rod..
Rod, I know you love your fords but believe me the LS series engines can be and are a lot of fun albeit in a different way.

I've been in many xr6 and g6e turbos and while they are nice they aren't for me. just not interested. Yet I wouldn't be without the LS3 Maloo and the GT with the dirty old low tech Clevo.
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I sold my V8 for an XR6 Turbo, I miss the V8 terribly. It's an amazing car and has been absolutely faultless over 4 years, but it aint a V8, it has no soul.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I sold my V8 for an XR6 Turbo, I miss the V8 terribly. It's an amazing car and has been absolutely faultless over 4 years, but it aint a V8, it has no soul.
G'day...I'd love the Ford V8's a lot..maybe one day I will have one..who knows..In the meantime I really enjoy the XR6 I own and also lust over a 'T' version as much as the V8's to be honest..
Yesterday I got a kick out of the bloke I bought the little Accord off who was impressed by my humble N/A XR6.
This coming from a proud owner of a V8 VF Commodore..Cheers..Rod
Old 10-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #14
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick74GT View Post
Rod, I know you love your fords but believe me the LS series engines can be and are a lot of fun albeit in a different way.

I've been in many xr6 and g6e turbos and while they are nice they aren't for me. just not interested. Yet I wouldn't be without the LS3 Maloo and the GT with the dirty old low tech Clevo.
G'day , No problems with the Holden V8's..I really like the GM V8's ..Pushrods V8's are real strong and proven , of that there is no doubt..Not so admired is the Alloytec V6 it seems..I believe the 3.8 Litre was a much more trustworthy donk..
I like the sound of the LS3 especially..
Overall the Coyote supercharged V8 ,the mighty Barra Turbo and the ever reliable standard Barra are just that bit more appealing as a block of choices for some of us compared to a great GM V8 but less so V6 with concerns like timing chain issues..
Personal choices on all sorts of car aspects is why we have had the tribal Blue and Red Camps all these years..and good natured ribbing is fun..
To get a justifiably proud owner of a V8 Commodore favourably impressed by a Ford XR 6 was very pleasing... Made me smile...Cheers Rod..
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Kinda like gingers
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #16
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
XR6T has no soul? Drive an R35, that is the definition of no soul, it's like driving a physics defying ghost car.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2016, 01:48 AM   #17
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day...I'd love the Ford V8's a lot..maybe one day I will have one..who knows..In the meantime I really enjoy the XR6 I own and also lust over a 'T' version as much as the V8's to be honest..
Yesterday I got a kick out of the bloke I bought the little Accord off who was impressed by my humble N/A XR6.
This coming from a proud owner of a V8 VF Commodore..Cheers..Rod
Maybe you’re just reading too much into it, after all he was selling you his old car.

There are many Fords I rate highly but to be honest I wouldn’t second look an N/A XR6 over a VF SS.

Now if it had been the turbo then I could understand him getting a little excited.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Maybe you’re just reading too much into it, after all he was selling you his old car.

There are many Fords I rate highly but to be honest I wouldn’t second look an N/A XR6 over a VF SS.

Now if it had been the turbo then I could understand him getting a little excited.
G'day...I bet he wouldn't rate my XR6 over his SS...No one would , but he was just surprised how nice a car it was to travel in having not been in any Ford for ages., He was a nice bloke being polite who'd just taken a grand off me for an old Accord but he was asking me all about the XR , liked how comfortable it was and was impressed with the ZF gearbox ..He was also telling me about the trouble he'd had with his partner's VE V6..Maybe he'd look at the N/A XR6 in that guise , certainly not with the SS..Cheers Rod...
Old 11-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #19
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Ive owned 5 LS powered commys over the years,had my turbo now for 4 yrs.ive spent money on both engines to make them quicker and i can tell you now, spend 4g on an LS engine then spend the same on a turbo. The LS 6ltr for example,full exhaust,mafless tune,otr intake will avg around the 250 rwkw (auto) mark maybe a bit more on a 6.2ltr.. Turbo on the other hand,bigger cooler,injectors,cat pipe and tune, 300 rwkw give or take a few kw ( std FG used as an example). I know what id rather have.bang for your bucks you just cant match them. I still love my holdens but am i glad i saw the light!

Last edited by damo6; 11-12-2016 at 10:45 AM.
damo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #20
mick74GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
Ive owned 5 LS powered commys over the years,had my turbo now for 4 yrs.ive spent money on both engines to make them quicker and i can tell you now, spend 4g on an LS engine then spend the same on a turbo. The LS 6ltr for example,full exhaust,mafless tune,otr intake will avg around the 250 rwkw (auto) mark maybe a bit more on a 6.2ltr.. Turbo on the other hand,bigger cooler,injectors,cat pipe and tune, 300 rwkw give or take a few kw ( std FG used as an example). I know what id rather have.bang for your bucks you just cant match them. I still love my holdens but am i glad i saw the light!
I noticed a big difference Ls2 to Ls3. My cammed manual Ls2 clubby made only 310rwkw (although had the standard tri-y hsv headers) but my LS3 auto Maloo made 300rwkw with just OTR and tune. Clubby tuned at Hi Torque on the GOld coast and Maloo at Powertorque so both respectable Tuning shops for LS cars.

in other words it cost me with exhaust, cam etc $7000 To get that out of the Ls2 whereas I got 300rwkw out of the auto Maloo for $1500.. big difference looking at it that way. Maloo bang for buck is almost at turbo level

Back on topic Rod I'm sure your falcon is a nice car. it's always nice to get a compliment
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The LS2 at the time may have been GM's higher performance LS engine but it doesn't compare these days with the LS3.

Far better heads on the LS3 compared to the LS2.

I had to have the buggery ported out of the heads on my LS2 to make 320rwkw when I had the cam swapped out.

LS1/2 Cathedral Ports

LS3 Rectangular Ports
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
Already done that to the XR6T mate it sits at 301rwkw, I learnt I don't care about speed. Sure it's fast but I barely touch the go pedal because it's boring. I miss the sound of the V8 and swapping cogs with the windows down. For some it's not about having the fastest car.....
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #23
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick74GT View Post
I noticed a big difference Ls2 to Ls3. My cammed manual Ls2 clubby made only 310rwkw (although had the standard tri-y hsv headers) but my LS3 auto Maloo made 300rwkw with just OTR and tune. Clubby tuned at Hi Torque on the GOld coast and Maloo at Powertorque so both respectable Tuning shops for LS cars.

in other words it cost me with exhaust, cam etc $7000 To get that out of the Ls2 whereas I got 300rwkw out of the auto Maloo for $1500.. big difference looking at it that way. Maloo bang for buck is almost at turbo level

Back on topic Rod I'm sure your falcon is a nice car. it's always nice to get a compliment
G'day mick74gt...Yep , she's no Turbo or V8 but she's a nice looker , drives sweet and she sits happily and proudly in my garage ..Even my much loved old AU makes way for the XR6 in the shed but I'm going to whack up a car port ready for the re sprayed AU sometime next year..Then I'll be happier than a pig in s..t for sure..Cheers Rod..
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2016, 01:09 AM   #24
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably complimented the Ford to distract away from any Honda related issues

Maybe ..

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk 2
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #25
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Probably complimented the Ford to distract away from any Honda related issues

Maybe ..

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk 2
G'day ..Nup..She's a little ripper actually..1985 GX Accord 159,000 genuine kms, drives superb..
Not fuel injected , manual choke , paint immaculate , brakes , tyres good ..
gearbox is sweet as , everything works except the heater doesn't push out air from the vents very well even though it's actually working. Could be the blower motor relay I've been told.. I swear the back seats have never been sat in..
Princely sum of $1000
..The bloke is shifting fairly soon and couldn't take his two Commodores , his work bus and this..Is a light metallic blue colour..
Just on the XR6 though...Just because it's not an awesome Turbo or V8 doesn't mean it's not worth a mention..The bloke has pretty much only been dealing with Holdens for ages and he was pleasantly surprised by my Falcon..He was especially impressed by the ZF trannie once I showed him how well it works and the quietness and ride of the car..Don't expect him to rush out and buy one though unless it's to replace the less than ideal VE V6 that's already done the obligatory timing chain..No issues there with a N/A Barra.. Cheers Rod..
Old 12-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
G'day ..Nup..She's a little ripper actually..1985 GX Accord 159,000 genuine kms, drives superb..
Not fuel injected , manual choke , paint immaculate , brakes , tyres good ..
gearbox is sweet as , everything works except the heater doesn't push out air from the vents very well even though it's actually working. Could be the blower motor relay I've been told.. I swear the back seats have never been sat in..
Princely sum of $1000
..The bloke is shifting fairly soon and couldn't take his two Commodores , his work bus and this..Is a light metallic blue colour..
Just on the XR6 though...Just because it's not an awesome Turbo or V8 doesn't mean it's not worth a mention..The bloke has pretty much only been dealing with Holdens for ages and he was pleasantly surprised by my Falcon..He was especially impressed by the ZF trannie once I showed him how well it works and the quietness and ride of the car..Don't expect him to rush out and buy one though unless it's to replace the less than ideal VE V6 that's already done the obligatory timing chain..No issues there with a N/A Barra.. Cheers Rod..
Too True!

I have a 2008 FG XR6 6 speed auto, same as yours. Only 28,000km on the clock. I don't care that it not as fast as the hero models (I have a XR8 for that role) but its such a nice car to roam the highways with. And I have said this before, but I prefer the sound of the N/A I6 compared to the I6T. The turbo muffles the "thrashy" I6 music as it screams to 6000rpm

There is nothing wrong with giving and receiving complements about someone's choice of car, even when it goes against our brand elegances.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #27
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Too True!

I have a 2008 FG XR6 6 speed auto, same as yours. Only 28,000km on the clock. I don't care that it not as fast as the hero models (I have a XR8 for that role) but its such a nice car to roam the highways with. And I have said this before, but I prefer the sound of the N/A I6 compared to the I6T. The turbo muffles the "thrashy" I6 music as it screams to 6000rpm

There is nothing wrong with giving and receiving complements about someone's choice of car, even when it goes against our brand elegances.
G'day ..Wow...only 28,000 clicks..mine had only 65,000kays ,only 69,000 kays now and I thought I got lucky with such low use..Funny thing was that about two weeks earlier I spotted a dark brown (don't know the official Ford colour for it ) XR6.. That had only 91,000 on it and also 2008..they wanted just under $15 K for it .
Then pure dumb luck I found mine on CarSales.. for $12,500..After the drive I was gone..Ended up getting it for just under $12 K and with a limited warranty package as well..
I 'd love a Turbo or a V8 but to have bought a really decent example , add on another 4-5 grand..definitely out of the question for lil ol' me..

Like you , I love driving my standard XR6 , she looks good , she eats up the kays as if they weren't there and she sounds okay too..
The whole reason I started the thread was that a 'non believer' in the Ford product was impressed enough in my humble offering to show genuine interest in my bird..That was cool...Enjoy your N/A XR6 (and your beaut XR8) as much as me.. Cheers Rod..
Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #28
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
its such a nice car to roam the highways with.
Absolutely. I rented an FG2 XR6 early last year and did a bit of a road trip in NZ. Effortlessly eats up the miles, does the Falcon. Brilliant car for the open road.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post