Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There's no way they even went close to 41,000 G8's. They were only selling around 2000 a month and they stopped sending them there over 6 months ago because they had so many unsold. And then Pontiac is being closed.

Unless he meant thats how many cars they exported, not just G8's but Caprices etc to the middle east?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #92
legt
EL GT

I live in the US 6 months of the year these days & subscribe to a number of journals, periodical, magazines ($5/year here whilst I get financially raped in Australia for anything similar) & stay up to date with the newspapers, current affairs, Speed Channel, BBC USA, etc., blah, blah, blah. 41000 cars exported to anywhere = 41000 cars sold by GMH. No Purchase Order = No delivery. That’s 41000 PO’s which is equivalent to 41000 sales. The comparison was strictly Commodore versus Falcon sedans. No Territories, no Captiva’s, no Colorado’s, no utes, no FPVs, HSVs, HDT’s, TVE’s, Barina’s, Focus’, Magna’s, Camry’s, 6’s or anything else – Just the Aussie 4 door family saloons, GMH v. FordAU.

I see quite a few G8's over here, and actually they're quite a popular & very affordable alternative. I even had a nightmare once that I was at a car yard shopping for a GXP (sorta ClubSport equivalent) but woke up & saw my KR in the drive & everything was okay.

41000 folks (the G8 range includes the G8, the GT & GXP). And it was further reported in the San Francisco Chronicle & San Jose Mercury News that the CHP, CA Sheriff & CA Police at least (& it may well extend across state borders but was not reported) have agreed to the GMH Statesman as the standard patrol vehicle commencing 2011, ousting the Lincoln TownCar (bye, bye Ford..!!!). These will also be rebranded as Pontiacs. So I’m not sure whether the decision to close down Pontiac is conclusive. I think this may have been some old news during the US Government oversight of GM where many scenarios were tabled, including the 11th minute canning of the new Camaro, which obviously is now produced out of Canada in its thousands. Anyway, keep watching Cops you’ll probably start seeing the GMH patrol cars towards the end of 2011 or so.

GMH may not be innovative or fuel efficient or many things at all, but they are killing us & they’re doing it in the same bad economy that Ford is experiencing. We need to stop this rot & deliver a silver bullet. I'm sick to death of these GMH mates of mine with their pompous attitudes. Its action time, One Ford..!!!
Why did FPV invest $40m to Prodrive for an engine that is available from the USA - $1.6m/kW..??
Way to run a business Ford Australia....2016 will prove it..!!
legt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #93
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Where did you get 41000 G8's from? I'm not saying your wrong, just never read that myself anywhere.
From the GM website, they publish monthly and annual totals:

Pontiac G8 sales:
2008 15,002
2009 23,157
2010 Jan 118

The rest probably went to Canada, figures for there are hard to find.

LINK to GM Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
There's no way they even went close to 41,000 G8's. They were only selling around 2000 a month and they stopped sending them there over 6 months ago because they had so many unsold. And then Pontiac is being closed.

Unless he meant thats how many cars they exported, not just G8's but Caprices etc to the middle east?
Last delivery of G8s to USA happened Dec 2008 or Jan 2009, yes it's been that long.......

Last edited by jpd80; 24-03-2010 at 08:07 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #94
legt
EL GT

USA G8's, Sold & Unsold numbers;
2008: 11,000 unsold G8s in the inventory and 13,000 sold = 24,000 total GMH VE exports.
2009: 5,000 unsold G8's in inventoryand 31,000 sold = 36,000 total GMH VE exports to USA.

These numbers do not include Canadian sales & inventory - so the 41,000 reported must have included all N. American sales.

Also, not included are Brazilian numbers for the Cheverolet Omega.
Also, not included are Middle Eastern & South African numbers for the Cheverolet Lumina.
Also, not included are UK or Middle Eastern numbers for the Vauxhall VXR8.

In any case these advertised & not included numbers far surpasses anything FoA is doing with our respective competitor in the Falcon.

Ford Australia has stated that they have "considered" exporting the FG Falcon to China and the Middle East..!!!
This won't happen until they stop the considerable recycling the designs from previous models..!!!
The Australian government already learnt that expen$ive "export incentive grant" lesson once before.
Why did FPV invest $40m to Prodrive for an engine that is available from the USA - $1.6m/kW..??

Last edited by legt; 20-04-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 20-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #95
Chopped
as in chopped

Note to Media - Commodore is just as likely to bite the bullet as Falcon is.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #96
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by legt
I live in the US 6 months of the year these days & subscribe to a number of journals, periodical, magazines ($5/year here whilst I get financially raped in Australia for anything similar) & stay up to date with the newspapers, current affairs, Speed Channel, BBC USA, etc., blah, blah, blah. 41000 cars exported to anywhere = 41000 cars sold by GMH. No Purchase Order = No delivery. That’s 41000 PO’s which is equivalent to 41000 sales. The comparison was strictly Commodore versus Falcon sedans. No Territories, no Captiva’s, no Colorado’s, no utes, no FPVs, HSVs, HDT’s, TVE’s, Barina’s, Focus’, Magna’s, Camry’s, 6’s or anything else – Just the Aussie 4 door family saloons, GMH v. FordAU.

I see quite a few G8's over here, and actually they're quite a popular & very affordable alternative. I even had a nightmare once that I was at a car yard shopping for a GXP (sorta ClubSport equivalent) but woke up & saw my KR in the drive & everything was okay.

41000 folks (the G8 range includes the G8, the GT & GXP). And it was further reported in the San Francisco Chronicle & San Jose Mercury News that the CHP, CA Sheriff & CA Police at least (& it may well extend across state borders but was not reported) have agreed to the GMH Statesman as the standard patrol vehicle commencing 2011, ousting the Lincoln TownCar (bye, bye Ford..!!!). These will also be rebranded as Pontiacs. So I’m not sure whether the decision to close down Pontiac is conclusive. I think this may have been some old news during the US Government oversight of GM where many scenarios were tabled, including the 11th minute canning of the new Camaro, which obviously is now produced out of Canada in its thousands. Anyway, keep watching Cops you’ll probably start seeing the GMH patrol cars towards the end of 2011 or so.

GMH may not be innovative or fuel efficient or many things at all, but they are killing us & they’re doing it in the same bad economy that Ford is experiencing. We need to stop this rot & deliver a silver bullet. I'm sick to death of these GMH mates of mine with their pompous attitudes. Its action time, One Ford..!!!
All export requires a PO, however the PO's come from GMNA not a customer or even a dealer.

The Pontiac G8 really started selling when they announced the wind up of the brand. 40% off a full size car is always going to generate sales no matter what the ecconomy. However not one of hese customers will repeat their business with GM now will they?
Old 21-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #97
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
2008: 11,000 unsold G8s in the inventory and 13,000 sold = 24,000 total GMH VE exports.
2009: 5,000 unsold G8's in inventoryand 31,000 sold = 36,000 total GMH VE exports to USA.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!!! As an accountant, wrong, wrong, wrong!!

If you started 2009 with 11,000 in inventory (2008 closing number), & sold 31,000 during 2009 & ended the year that 5,000, they only exported 25,000 for 2009!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #98
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just some trivia to add here.

GMH sold 44,000 Horrordores last year in Australia & a further 41,000 as Pontiac G8's in the US for a total of 85,000 cars. Another 20c.
I dont think this claim can be made in isolation, regardless of any contention of the number of G8's sold. In Holdens latest profit/ loss release, they quite clearly blamed the G8 as the cause of the majority of their loses. If it is true, then coming up with a plan to export 40,000 cars to the US, and lose $200 million in the process, does not seem to be a great long term idea. And in all honesty seems really stupid to contemplate a similar idea like a police export program.

Why would anyone think that doing a lot of work (Making lots of cars), to lose money, has any level of brilliance attatche dto it
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #99
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

These numbers do not include Canadian sales & inventory - so the 41,000 reported must have included all N. American sales.

Also, not included are Brazilian numbers for the Cheverolet Omega.
Also, not included are Middle Eastern & South African numbers for the Cheverolet Lumina.
Also, not included are UK or Middle Eastern numbers for the Vauxhall VXR8.

In any case these advertised & not included numbers far surpasses anything FoA is doing with our respective competitor in the Falcon.

Ford Australia has stated that they have "considered" exporting the FG Falcon to China and the Middle East..!!!
This won't happen until they stop the considerable recycling the designs from previous models..!!!
The Australian government already learnt that expen$ive "export incentive grant" lesson once before.
Let's not mention the $225 million loss attributed to the cancellation of the Pontiac G8
Let's not mention the 85% reduction in Holden's exports last year to around 5,000.
Let's not mention the two shifts of workers at Adelaide's Elizabeth plant that
were put on half work/half pay because Holden couldn't afford redundancies.

Let's not mention that Ford did not use the LHD grant for export vehicles but
used it first to attract Focus manufacturing contract and then finally converted
it for use in the fuel efficient Ecoboost I-4 engine.

Let's not mention that Holden is now considering less exports and bolstering support for domestic sales.

Quote:
Just some trivia to add here.

GMH sold 44,000 Horrordores last year in Australia & a further 41,000 as Pontiac G8's in the US for a total of 85,000 cars. Another 20c.
So long as your 20c doesn't include any manufacturing in 2009.
as the last delivery from Elizabeth to USA was December 2008.
Sales of Pontiac G8: from GM's corporate website:

USA 2008 sales = 15,002
USA 2009 sales = 23,157
Allow approx. 3,000 were sold in Canada and you have 41,000 sales.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #100
legt
EL GT

Whichever way we slice & dice or speed & feed the numbers, there is some good news is on the blue oval badge horizon.

Ford Australia has confirmed it is staying in the V8 business beyond the life of the current 5.4-litre Boss engine.

The favourite to take over from the ageing Boss engine is the aluminium double overhead cam 5.0-litre codenamed ‘Coyote’ with baseline outputs reported to be around 300kW and 540Nm.

All it needs now is a supercharger like the Ford USA performance vehicles get in the SVT & Shelby flavours..!!! - like an SVT Cobra 4.6L DOHC S/C with 420bhp & 12.5s 1/4mile times which I hope to be bringing back to Aust. in the medium term future. This thing will leave all those R8's, GTO's, HSVomits in sweet & rich Ford exhaust fumes....!!!...mmmmmh.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #101
legt
EL GT

Default Re: Aaand Drive is at it again.

hindsight is always 20/20...

It's nostalgic to go back & review our thoughts against a future which is now past.

What will the government decide on those import duties now?
They should be all repealed, but they won't...

Death & taxes baby....
Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #102
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Aaand Drive is at it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legt View Post
hindsight is always 20/20...

It's nostalgic to go back & review our thoughts against a future which is now past.

What will the government decide on those import duties now?
They should be all repealed, but they won't...

Death & taxes baby....
AND luxury tax. Was supposedly implemented to protect our car manufacturing industry. As we don't have one anymore, it should have been dropped immediately.

As you say ... Death & taxes baby.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: