Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NVH App

I came across this on youtube the other day and thought it would be a good thing until I saw the price, I'm sure it was $499 but now they are saying $399 with a special price of $99 so it's becoming much more interesting.
(Mods please delete this if it breaks any forum rules)

I'm hoping to find someone who has used this app to get some feedback on it.

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuI0hH2TuxQ

The so called special price: vibratesoftware.com/buy-the-nvh-for-android-app/

$99 doesn't go very far when you're chucking parts at a car.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: NVH App

ok, so I had a look at the video. They input the vehicle stats to work out rotational speeds of various components such as driveshaft, rear axle, wheels etc. Then the app looks for spikes at those frequencies or harmonics of those frequencies.

You could achieve the same by performing data collection using free scope software like visualiser or Winscope. Looking at the spectrum analyzer, identifying the frequencies related to the noise. Then create an Excel spreadsheet which calculates the frequencies of wheels, shafts etc and compare.

That is all that program is doing..

Sounds like it could be a fun experiment. You could also adapt a microphone to attach to the vehicle body and see how that works too.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I picked up a free app called, of all things, "Vibrations" which does frequency, rpm & intensity for sound & mechanical.
I'm hoping when my 80 KPH vibration kicks in it will flood the screen and I can hit the freeze screen button so I can check the vibration RPM later, the numbers are too small to see while testing.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....VibrationsAds
Simply being able to distinguish between tail shaft speed & wheel speed would be a bonus because I'm starting to second guess myself & refuse to throw parts at it.
Old 30-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought I'd put up a small update, so far I think I'm on a winner.
Knowing the speed, tyre size, diff ratio & overdrive ratio I've been able to eliminate the tailshaft.
Time to get down to some serious testing now and actually start writing some numbers down on paper.

Looks like I have 3 main vibrations but the steering wheel one is my main concern even though it is tiny it has become my white whale.

Vibration at engine speed, probably a mount.
Vibration at wheel speed, my white whale.
Vibration X, down in the 1-2 Hz area, possible exhaust hanger.

Anyway here's some pictures in no particular order or meaning other than to show the difference between the free app & the paid $3 app and to let you see where I'm at.
Pic 3 is me shaking the phone left/right, up/down, back/forwards just for fun.
Interesting to note gravity is included in the yellow line. (I think)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg free.jpg (92.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg paid.jpg (93.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Test3.jpg (158.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg record.jpg (149.7 KB, 12 views)
4 users like this post: