Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
cisco
Starter Motor

Default AUII Fairmont Creaky dash - driver's side

Hi All,

Most noticeable when the car is cold. I.e. the mornings in Canberra lately.

Once the car seems to warm up, the creak goes away mostly.

Also happens a little bit when going over some bumps.

I pushed firmly against the plastic trim thing that is between the back of the dash and the windscreen, and that seems to make the creak happen easily, so I'm pretty sure its that chunk of trim thing rubbing or something whenever the car is cold or on bumps.

Any ideas? Any solutions? Is this common??

Thx a lot.

cisco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I got in my AUII Ghia the other night and it was a very, very cold night, and noticed some unusual creaks coming from the dash as well. I'm interested to know what to do here, too.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
mattsAU1

any meterial will expand and contract with the change in temperature, something that may not creak/rub in hot weather may creak/rub in cold weather, my old lady has a brand new car (a hyundai), type of car aside, warm days it doesn't make any unusual noises at all but in the cold the dash etc make noises. Nothin to worry about i dont think, just the way things are
There's my 2 cents worth
hope it helps relieve the stress
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Buy a can of "Expanda Foam" and goes nuts inside the dash! lol. $12 and no more creaks!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

ine was making creaking and cracking/thud sounds ... but that was because I had the heater on screen ... and it was cold outside at 4am in the morning. Common for MANY other cars out there.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

yep , noting un-normal , the front doors can have a habbit of causing creeks around the dash ( near were the front of the front doors toutch the dash / hinge end of the door ) , i usually find when stuff starts getting squeeky its usually a sign its due for an Armorall Polish , do all the seals and stuff too , usually stops all the creeks and squeeks for a week or so and keeps it lookin nice . Normally why they are whisper quiet when you first pick them up ! - someone has usualy detailed the car and rejuvinated the interior/dash/seals .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my steering column creeks like hell, but this is only when its really hot. and not just a little, like every time i turn the wheel it sounds like the plastic is rubbing together. i just turn the stereo up!
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thats actually a whole different problem there. It's renowned for happening in taxi's (My dad had the same prob in his AU3). I think they had to replace a rubber seal behind the steering wheel.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one thing that i HATE about AUs is the crap quality dash materials that make all sorts of noises. It really ИИИИed me off during my AU ownership. BA is a totaly different story , dosent make a single sound out of place in the cabin. very noticable change.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
one thing that i HATE about AUs is the crap quality dash materials that make all sorts of noises. It really ИИИИed me off during my AU ownership. BA is a totaly different story , dosent make a single sound out of place in the cabin. very noticable change.
You'de probably find the only reason why the BA's dont do it is because they aren't as old as the AU's yet , give them a bit of time/ a few years to warp in the sun like our AU's and i bet they will be creeking too later on down the track .

Old 09-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

My dash creaks most of the time but it manly happen in the cooler weather. I fix the problem by turnning up the radio so i carn't hear it creaking.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #12
Rob
Living the dream

Dash plastics are very average quality in the AU, sad to say. Rattles are inevitable...

Thats what sound systems are for, eh?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #13
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Thats actually a whole different problem there. It's renowned for happening in taxi's (My dad had the same prob in his AU3). I think they had to replace a rubber seal behind the steering wheel.
i wouldnt even know the first thing about removing a wheel equpied with an airbag! summer is over anyway, so i have about a year to learn!
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
You'de probably find the only reason why the BA's dont do it is because they aren't as old as the AU's yet , give them a bit of time/ a few years to warp in the sun like our AU's and i bet they will be creeking too later on down the track .
My dads AU2 XR6 VCT made the same noises from brand new as my AU (4 year old ) did.....

One of my mates has a lexus that spends all day in the sun , is 6 years old and has 150000kms and it dosent make a sound in the cabin.

Im not having a go at AUs but IMO the quality of interior plastic is not as good as the BA.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an Aussie Ford. Rattles and squeakes come at no extra charge! Its an option Ford gave to all the AU owners. Mine does it also in the cold, and now the door seals are beginning to make noise as well, but only over bumps. it's bloody annoying!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #16
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
My dads AU2 XR6 VCT made the same noises from brand new as my AU (4 year old ) did.....

One of my mates has a lexus that spends all day in the sun , is 6 years old and has 150000kms and it dosent make a sound in the cabin.

Im not having a go at AUs but IMO the quality of interior plastic is not as good as the BA.
Time will tell ..lol .... Just something i have noticed though over the years though , ALL the cars i have owned that have had a black dash and interior started squeeking and making noises in the cabin quicker than cars i've had with light color dashes and interiors. Just wear a pair of black jeans and black t-shirt on a warm day and go for a drive , soon as that sun hits you your cooking ! - same with the black and dark color dashes imo - to have something get that hot ( especially plastics & vinyls) and expect it not to warp and dry is just high hopes ! . I have found since 'armorall/polishing' the interior and seals at least once a fortnight and keeping it rejuvinated that it's quiet as a mouse. It was one of the first things i tried to sort out when i got the car , as i don't really listen to the radio or music in the car. The only thing i hear nowerdays is the rear suspension clunk problem :( - thats next on the list to be fixed ! ..lol

Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Quote:

cArSiK, it's a bit rough comparing the quality of a Lexus with the Falcon, think of the difference in price!

*GK thinking about his previous typed statement*

Come to think of it, a 60+thousand GT would probably end up with the same rattles! Ok, Lexus quality control is better! LOL!

Even so, you still get a lot for a little in the AU!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #18
FRIKA
FRIKA

My solution is I turn the stereo up louder and no more noises
Old 10-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR AYTE
My solution is I turn the stereo up louder and no more noises
Not really ... turn the stereo up more = more rattles ... LOL
Well that's what I find ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #20
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Not really ... turn the stereo up more = more rattles ... LOL
Well that's what I find ... hee hee
Yeah, unless you fix them up properly, you can't win with rattles!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #21
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

rattles and shakes , welcome to the roads ;)

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post