Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you like teh foil seals on new oil jugs<>
Yes; I love the foil seal. 5 16.13%
No; I hate the foil seal. 14 45.16%
I neither hate nor love them. 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Foil Seals On New Oil Jugs Yeh or Nay?

I see that Castrol are now putting foil seals on their Magnatec 5w-30 A5 plastic 6 liter oil jugs. I see many other brands also new use foil seals too. I do get that it helps guard against nuts sabotaging oil on the retail shelves by adding nasty solid or liquid contaminates and helps stop lowlifes from returning used oil for a refund. However, I am concerned about small pieces of the seal getting into the engine as I find it very hard to completely remove the seal from the top of the plastic jug. Apparently these seals were banned in the aviation industry for that reason (see https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...trol-foil.html etc). They don't peal off for me so you essentially have to cut them off then scrape the remnants off. Yes; the screen on the oil pump pick-up and the oil filter should catch any remnants of the foil seal that end up in the sump but I would prefer not to have to rely on that.

What's your view on these seals and what's your tip for getting these seal off cleanly.

Oops; yes the question should be "Do you like the foil seals on new oil jugs? But you know what I meant and sadly my typing skills with my arthritic sausage fingers are for similar reasons on par with my oil jug foil seal removal skills.

And why do I use Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 A5? Well it's what the dealer said they were using in my FG's when I let them service them and I decided it's best to stay with it.

Last edited by aussiblue; 28-05-2021 at 05:26 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Foil Seals On New Oil Jugs Yeh or Nay?

Tastes a bit average when you open it with ya teeth as well.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Castrol's facebook post here suggest it might be about preventing counterfeit Castrol oil; is that (counterfeit motor oil) really a "thing" now https://www.facebook.com/castrol/videos/481674269659184

Hmm perhaps so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlNbyK6Jp0U and https://www.lubesngreases.com/magazi...-the-industry/ etc.

Last edited by aussiblue; 28-05-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 28-05-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And of course Mobil might claim all the Castrol synthetic is fake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1Decunqa0
Old 29-05-2021, 02:15 AM   #5
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm kind of used to it as refrigeration oil is hydroscopic so always had foil seals.

But have to laugh at counterfeit castrol oil LOL. Their cheaper stuff (not full syth, IE not PAO ester) is some of the worst oil imo (that includes magnatec, cheaper oils in the edge range), that's why it's always on sale. Avoid.
So much noise and tarnish on my engines when I used them.

People may disagree but the point is if others feel that way, or some don't care and only buy them on 1/2 price sales, why would anyone try to counterfeit them?
Ridiculous claim as they're always on sale and some hate the oils anyway.

Last edited by oldel; 29-05-2021 at 02:21 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
MrEL
Sick Puppy

If the foil seal is that much of an issue and your worried about pieces getting into your motor , put a piece of new flyscreen into your funnel and filter the oil through that as you fill it...............
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
I'm kind of used to it as refrigeration oil is hydroscopic so always had foil seals.

But have to laugh at counterfeit castrol oil LOL. Their cheaper stuff (not full syth, IE not PAO ester) is some of the worst oil imo (that includes magnatec, cheaper oils in the edge range), that's why it's always on sale. Avoid.
So much noise and tarnish on my engines when I used them.

People may disagree but the point is if others feel that way, or some don't care and only buy them on 1/2 price sales, why would anyone try to counterfeit them?
Ridiculous claim as they're always on sale and some hate the oils anyway.
I've seen a customers 5.4V 3V have dramas with sludge, religiously serviced with Castrol Magnatec.
Old 29-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've seen a customers 5.4V 3V have dramas with sludge, religiously serviced with Castrol Magnatec.
Yeah I've tried them for a while on some of my cars. mainly tried them because they're always on sale. Anyway, two of my cars have an alloy filter housing on the top of the engine (VZ commo, bmw) and after using castrol there was like a orange varnish stuck to the inside of the alloy housing. i haven't opened up any engines but could see the same stuff in under the valve cover.
Stick to nulon, penrite or GW synth.

I'm sure not all castrol oils are like that, (some higher grades are factory recommended), but the cheap lower grade stuff they sell as edge synth or magnatec, GTX just avoid.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Yeah I've tried them for a while on some of my cars. mainly tried them because they're always on sale. Anyway, two of my cars have an alloy filter housing on the top of the engine (VZ commo, bmw) and after using castrol there was like a orange varnish stuck to the inside of the alloy housing. i haven't opened up any engines but could see the same stuff in under the valve cover.
Stick to nulon, penrite or GW synth.

I'm sure not all castrol oils are like that, (some higher grades are factory recommended), but the cheap lower grade stuff they sell as edge synth or magnatec, GTX just avoid.
Commodore 3.6L boat anchor is very sensitive on oil, causes half their issues with their magic timing chains.

Mind you, said VE Commodore we pulled this out of went circa 140,000km between services, and still hadn't done its timing chains so go figure, I guess there is always exceptions to the rule
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
If the foil seal is that much of an issue and your worried about pieces getting into your motor , put a piece of new flyscreen into your funnel and filter the oil through that as you fill it...............
Running the trucks on used veggie oil usually sees me fine filtering down several times before its anywhere near pure to mix with diesel.

I would imaging doing this with engine oil a given.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A small cover on jugs… Isn’t that a pastie?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2021, 12:19 AM   #12
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A small cover on jugs… Isn’t that a pastie?
Bring on the wardrobe malfunction!
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2021, 12:32 AM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

You've convinced me I should drop the Magnatec go back to Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 at the next oil change. No foil seal with that either...................yet.
Old 30-05-2021, 04:28 AM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this serious?

I don't see what difference it makes?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #15
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely if some dodgy outfit is going to the trouble of making counterfeited oil and bogus containers, it's not going to be too difficult for them to include a fake foil seal as well?

So for mine, it serves no purpose.

Last edited by ozpacman; 30-05-2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Is this serious?

I don't see what difference it makes?
Yes it is a serious question; I have real concerns about bit of the foil seal getting in the engine. Especially so perhaps as I also had an experience some 25 years ago when a daisy chain of about 20 seals got into the fuel tank of my LC Lancer from a bottle of upper cylinder head lubricant. Seems that somewhere in the bottling process something failed and a chain of seals was also bottled with the upper cylinder lubricant. Not only did they block the fuel pick up pipe, they separated into their component layers of paper and transparent plastic. I could still read the very faint brand name on the transparent part of the rescued seals so I was able to work out where they came from. Not only was it near impossible to find these transparent bits in the multi baffled fuel tank some eventually curled up when they got stuck on the fuel pick up and then and ended up in the fuel lines and fuel filter where they were equally as difficult to see and locate. The paper part of the seals just broke up and ended up in the inline fuel filter. It was a fuel tank out multiple flush and replace all the fuel lines job that I won't forget. Hopefully, the oil jug bottling process is free from the risk of such industrial glitches but who knows and what would a dozen foil labels do in your sump; probably block the pickup screen and seize the oil pump to start with.

Yes; I could add a screen to my oil filling funnel but that usually both slows oil filling down and increases the risk of spills.

Last edited by aussiblue; 30-05-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 30-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Yes it is a serious question; I have real concerns about bit of the foil seal getting in the engine.
Easy solution

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/...h-Strainer-8cm
Old 30-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I find that any little bits of foil left on the bottle are pretty well stuck and if I can't pull them off I doubt they will freely fall off when pouring.

Also, don't the oil bottles have that anti tamper collar like drink bottles so that it breaks as soon as opened?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #19
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Is that the Mercedes edition, $6 at IGA.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tea strainer probably work too.
50c at an op shop.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Note the context; this is "The Pub" section of the forum and I am not suggesting this is a life changing issue or even a particularly serious issue. Really I was just interested in what members thought, if there was more behind this packaging change and initiating some relevant forum "conversation".
Old 30-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #22
bb_zetec

Bit worried now that ive put Castrol Mangatec 20w-30 into my old 289.

I found the seal annoying to be honest.

Next oil change will be something else if this stuff is garbage.

Mind you i have pulled the motor out to work on it so this oil change is for while its in storage and being run in my engine cradle outside of the car.

When it goes back into service ill use something else.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

BTW when refiilng at an oil change I use a Lisle 19342 Oil Fill Funnel like this https://www.amazon.com.au/Lisle-1934.../dp/B016QB9Q56 with additional adapters see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt1bnlBUgqM including one that fits the FG's screw in oil filler hole thread perfectly (the Jeep rather than Ford adapter as I recall). They certainly work well in avoiding the risk of spills. There's also this similar product https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27479576...8AAOSwiaxgnOPB or if you want to pay more and get a case but less adapters (appropriately targetted at BMW, Audi and Mercedes drivers who are probably used to to paying more for less -but how did Ford get included?) there's this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26356261...0AAOSw5T9asnLX

Last edited by aussiblue; 30-05-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 30-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Here's a solution I guess https://www.motivxtools.com/collecti...l-piercer-only Foil seal spiker and mesh screen combined to fit a funnel system. But we need the oil companies to make and market something similar that simply screws onto the top of their oil jugs spiking the seal and creating a mesh filter and spout at the same time. Over to you Castrol etc.

Last edited by aussiblue; 30-05-2021 at 06:08 PM.