Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Default Battery Questions????

Hi guys,
The ute now gets driven weekends and when I went to start today it was flat as a tack, had 12v in it but not enough to turn the motor over. :
My question is, is it ok to disconnect the positive terminal from battery (probably fitting a kill switch) and will it cause any damage to the electricals from turning on and off all the time?
If so, what other alternatives do I have?

Any feedback/solution will be appreciated.

Cheers
Mick.

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I think even if the battery sits there on a flat hard surface ... it will still go flat ...even if disconnected.

I was told to reduce charge loss is to sit the battery on one of those fold up material stools ... acts like a hammock ... dunno if it is true though.

If i leave the ute for more than 2 days of no running it's hard to start .... probably cos it is so used to being started many times a day ... if it sits for more than a day not being used ... it drives like crap the day after.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

not starting the ute & only on weekends shouldn't make any difference
(never did for me).
I would more likely think that the battery was on its way out anyway.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Flat batt

just a idea matey you could park it at the cranny tyer test + reasearch centre

not much chance of a flatt battery then.... :monkes:

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

It's a 'catch 22' situation that is .... It did sound like your battery was on it's way out if it died that quick.. but in order to maintain the life of the battery it is recomended to disconnect the battery and store it off ground level ( especially cold concrete !) .. like keep it on a shelf i nthe garage etc etc .. but then you have the problem of the ecu reseting itself everytime the battery has been disconnected for such long lengths of time .. I cant really see it doing any damage to the electrics in the car , but i can't see it doing yourself any good in the way of the the ecu having to relearn itself fully ... so ur probably gonna be looking at bad fuel economy and maybe a bit rough running .... thats my 2 cents anyway .. maybe someone else can shed some more light on this matter ... interesting ..

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say replace the battery and if you still have problems with it going flat when the car has been sitting invest in one of the trickle chargers that are available. They maintain the charge in the battery without having to disconnect it from the car.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
I'd say replace the battery and if you still have problems with it going flat when the car has been sitting invest in one of the trickle chargers that are available. They maintain the charge in the battery without having to disconnect it from the car.
Are they the solar ones that plug into your cigarette lighter?

Old 17-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Either Battery is on its way out or you have a drain( meaning something is still using some power. Look for what that may be, or get an Auto Sparky to check it out. You should be able to leave it for several months and return to start it, if all it as it should be!!??
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
SIKSIX
Its gone V

What i would recommend is to go to a battery place and ask about a dry cell battery, i think they are ment to be good for that. but im not 100% sure they are better if you ask someone at a battery place they would maybe be able to point you in the right direction.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
Are they the solar ones that plug into your cigarette lighter?
You can get mains powered ones, I'd put more faith in those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM69
You should be able to leave it for several months and return to start it, if all it as it should be!!??
All modern cars have a degree of drain when they are switched off. For the immobiliser, keyless entry, KAM, clock etc. I wouldn't trust my car to start after a rest of several months.

Also, if you do replace your battery, I have just replaced mine with a SuperCharge Gold battery. Can't say enough good things about them. Excellent batteries and warrented for 3 years. www.supercharge.com.au

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT

Last edited by fairmont1998; 17-04-2006 at 06:54 PM. Reason: More to say :)
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
SIKSIX
Its gone V

my car started after two and a half months of not touching it, this happened twice because i had no license and was peeed off and could be bothered, but twice it just barely kicked over and since november when i got it back the battery is still fine even with running a stereo.

Question. Have you got a capacitor hooked up to the stereo and how is it hooked up, to always run or on with the ign.
Old 17-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Yeah capacitor is wired to be one with ignition.

Mick

Old 17-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Check for current draw with nothing turned on. Check that your glove box light is turning off when your glove box is closed.
Put a voltmeter across your battery terminals whilst some one cranks the engine if the volts drop from above 12volts to less then 10 volts say your battery is cactus.

if you don't have a voltmeter turn your headlights on and try start the engine if the lights go out your battery is stuffed.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #14
SIKSIX
Its gone V

look at your battery does it look old. cause as some people are pointing too, that it is cactus, then get a new battery and if you do and it goes flat agian it will be under warranty and get a new one again and before you put it on get it checked out.
Old 17-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #15
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

I work fly in/out .
I was doing a 2 on 1 week off routine then it changed to 4 weeks on 1 off.
My car hadnt been touched in this period and still starts first time everytime when i get back to Perth.
I have an Optima Dry cell and have had it for nearly 4 years easy..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #16
FUQNDV8
Starter Motor

First thing anyone should do is unscrew your 6 little caps on the top and see if the water is up over the plates. If you look in and you can see the plates and not just water its a good chance ya killed your battery. sometimes if you catch it in time you will save it but most of the time your to late. check battery every 2 - 3 months for water and top it up with only distilled or de mineralised water. If your running big amps run 2 batteries and get a larger alternator.
FUQNDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #17
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

yeah those trickle chargers are great. My dad uses them for both the bike and the Caravan. Spend the dollars on a new "Good" battery & a Good charger and you will be right. Get one of the ones that trickle chagers, monitors & maintains optimum battery charge & you will be right. They make a huge difference, even on the bike, leave it for 2 days and it takes a bit to start, yet when on charge, fires instantly.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post