Old 29-04-2024, 09:42 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Hey Franco,

200%....

We have an i30, it's a year old and the inconsistent throttle response is fair dinkum dangerous. Experienced it again today changing lanes and it could have gone very badly.

Does using sport mode make any difference?

Honestly, if it can't be addressed, I will be trading it much sooner than I really wanted to.
Doesn't make any difference regardless if you have it in one of its 50,000 modes, feels like all that shit does is change the instrument cluster or make the exhaust louder

Desperately needs to be tuned I reckon, the first thing you'd do is **** off Hyundai's shitty tuning and make it respond to your throttle inputs without thinking about it.

Reminds me of the VF Commodore V6, at least the VF is consistent though, the irony is the throttle body on the VF can go from closed to wide open throttle in 40ms, which is faster than you can physically stomp the throttle pedal - they just program it like mongs.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2024, 10:01 PM   #2
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Doesn't make any difference regardless if you have it in one of its 50,000 modes, feels like all that shit does is change the instrument cluster or make the exhaust louder

Desperately needs to be tuned I reckon, the first thing you'd do is **** off Hyundai's shitty tuning and make it respond to your throttle inputs without thinking about it.

Reminds me of the VF Commodore V6, at least the VF is consistent though, the irony is the throttle body on the VF can go from closed to wide open throttle in 40ms, which is faster than you can physically stomp the throttle pedal - they just program it like mongs.
I bought the missus a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid. It's got a turbo, so has a bit of poke in it, but geez! the throttle lag from a standing start is very ordinary.
It's much like the Isuzu Dmax's at work, you have to plant your foot a second before you strategically enter a roundabout. I preload the accelerator while holding the brake to get a better launch.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
I bought the missus a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid. It's got a turbo, so has a bit of poke in it, but geez! the throttle lag from a standing start is very ordinary.
It's much like the Isuzu Dmax's at work, you have to plant your foot a second before you strategically enter a roundabout. I preload the accelerator while holding the brake to get a better launch.
We do the same thing with our work PX Ranger with the mighty 2.2L engine, I think thats why its now on its 3rd gearbox in 150,000km

The i30N is ****ing chronic, driving that thing makes me want to drive it off a cliff its so aggravating to drive, combined with a manual box its such a pain in the ***

The weighting of the clutch isn't real good either, its super soft and uneven in its travel.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2024, 10:07 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
You should try a 2.2 Ranger, truly terrible for throttle and turbo lag. I've gotten used to it and can drive around the lag, but how Ford signed off on that is beyond me.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2024, 07:54 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Must be a Hyundai thing, that POS Kona I hired last year was the same. Only way to drive it was to keep the boot into it.

Hertz later told me it had a rather high average speed up and down the Hume over the 1600km trip. oooops.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: