Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
F6T
Has V8 envy

Default advice on what to look for when buying BA xr6t

Hi guys,

I will be purchasing a BA xr6t (MkI) 5 speed manual sometime within the next 7 days. I've read some pretty worrying threads on this site re: problems the 1st BA's had.

What should I be looking out for? I hear the diffs were pretty ordinary and the front discs were subject to shudder etc.

The one I'm looking at is in QLD (I'm in Tas). Is it wirthwhile getting the RACQ to check it out first?

HAs anyone had any experience in purchasing interstate re: registration transfer etc? I'm told that stamp duty on rego is 2% in QLD and that it is 3% in Tas but that I can't transfer in QLD and save on stamp duty unless I'm a resident of QLD.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
prdreilly

Hi MadXH96,

You will have to pay TAS stamp duty and you will lose the remaining Qld rego. If you can't look at the car yourself, then a RACQ inspection is a good idea.

The later the BA, example an early O4 should be less prone to problems than a late 02. In any case, the diff will most likely still be clunky, and while the later models brakes are not supposed to shudder, they will at a track day. If you are any sort of keen driver, I'd recommend fitting a set of DBA performance rotors, at least to the front (unless the car you are looking at has the Ford brake upgrade), would be money well spent.

Otherwise a fun car for the money, especially now that values have come down to mid $20K.
prdreilly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
F6T
Has V8 envy

Thanks,

Doesn't look like I can avoid the stamp duty issue then. The one I'm looking at has the premium brake upgrade. It has every premium option acutally (apart from leather). was $55K when purchased brand new. It's an 02 model with 73,000 klicks. spent last 6 months in storage as owner travels alot. started every weekend by his father to keep the battery good and condensation out.

recently been fitted with $3K worth of Bilstein's, Kings and camber kits, new diff and new clutch replaced under warranty at 64,000klicks. clutch was shuddering and diff was noisey/clunky.

Full ford service history. immaculate. wants $28,000 which I don't think is all that unreasonable.

thoughts?

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madxh96
Thanks,

Doesn't look like I can avoid the stamp duty issue then. The one I'm looking at has the premium brake upgrade. It has every premium option acutally (apart from leather). was $55K when purchased brand new. It's an 02 model with 73,000 klicks. spent last 6 months in storage as owner travels alot. started every weekend by his father to keep the battery good and condensation out.

recently been fitted with $3K worth of Bilstein's, Kings and camber kits, new diff and new clutch replaced under warranty at 64,000klicks. clutch was shuddering and diff was noisey/clunky.

thoughts?
Full ford service history. immaculate. wants $28,000 which I don't think is all that unreasonable.

Hi MadXH6

Looks like a good buy to me ! You'll have to bring it out to Baskerville and see how the mods go !!!!! There are some very good mods already done. She'll handle like good one. You will kill the stock taxi pack pack brakes... set aside funds for bigger gear................

The gear boxes and driveline generally in most BA's is pretty loose, they clunk, and sometimes feel like they have too much backlash. Ford will tell you 'Within production tollerances"

Noticed your avitar, have I witnessed that ute (your ute) going off at the Tarmac ? If so, you (and your ute) do great skids. I have you on video !!??
Much smoke generated.

Good luck. Ute or sedan ?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default Looking for faults

As far as Mechanicals I can not help much but check out the following -

Rust on Gas strut nipples for boot (ones on R1/4 panel)

Tar tape lifting near bottom of rear windscreen on both sides, if any separation it will rust it is not painted under it.

Rust stains near door hinges, if doors have been removed or realigned the seal is broken and will rust quickly, again NOT painted under. This also applies to front guard brackets.

Panel separation on ajoining sections to front suspension towers, fatigue cracking has become evident in some cars driven with more than a little enthusiasum.

Good luck I am sure that none of the above will apply but it does not hurt to check.

Ps the RACQ checks can be a little hit or miss depending on the inspector, either way always take it to their centre and NOT just a mobile check.
Chris