Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
moorey
Starter Motor

Default fuel consumption

Has any one had problems with Fairlane au V8 fuel consumption up to 22 liters per 100 use to do around 15litres been to ford and a few places
still no good Even the boot lid is getting black from soot
Any ideas
Graeme

moorey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
anakha

Can be a number of different causes. Tell us what has already been done and what symptoms the car has.

Certainly your remark about the soot could indicate an overly rich condition.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
moorey
Starter Motor

Throttle body cleaned new plugs and leads
Ford had it and checked and adjusted a few things and charged $300
The car has only done 90,000kms
Cheers Graeme
moorey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I know on the I6 they have the co2 sensor , which could cause problems like you mentioned / if its knackered.

But im not to sure about co2 sensors on the v8's ( or if they even have them ? ) ..gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
janek
Ripping it up

The 8's have 2 oxygen sensors....

I'd say more likely a Map/Maf issue... Though oxy sensors could do bad things if theyre really bad... force it into closed loop mode
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would replace the oxygen sensors before anything else if it was mine and go from there.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
kyleb
Starter Motor

Thumbs down

Ah - Someone else with a similar problem......

I am trying to sort out fuel consumption on an AU Series III XR8. Talk about $$$

The car has been back to ford many times, it has not even done 50000kms, they replaced the valve guides as they recon they were the cause, they've replaced leads, coil packs, plugs, oxy sensors, leads again, etc etc yet it has made very little difference... We are almost out of ideas. We have tried quite a number of things also, Ford don't seem to really know what the issue is, seems their computer can't see anything wrong. It is very annoying.

One thing we found is that the cooling fans seem to be on almost all of the time even though the radiatior core is cold. It's like the engine temp is being held back by the cooling system. This may cause the Enginge management system to richen the fuel, thinking that the car is not "warmed up" yet, but I am unsure and am hoping someone may be able to help with the answers.

Also, I would love to know how the computer is calculating DTE, as it may help me to answer some of my questions.

If I find something that works I will let you know, we have spent countless hours on this car and have acheived slight improvement but nothing like what Ford say the consumption should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Kyle
kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post