Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #31
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok,

I will assume that you are talking about building work here? If not, i may be a little off with my explanation but i'll give it anyway.

I work in the building industry, specifically in new Kitchens (see sig). The way the business i work for operates is that we go through your options, custom design a kitchen for you, and if you are agreeable to the design we go ahead with it. If not we change it etc etc but thats not the issue here.

Before any work is carried out, we have them sign 2 contracts. The first is with us as a company, basically saying that we are doing your kitchen, and we expect payment to be finalised by a certain date. It also says we will install on x date too, and details what we will be supplying and doing/not doing.
We do not actually do the work, we only design. From there, we have contractors who we use to install the new kitchen, remove the old kitchen etc etc.

Now, the point is, if our installer goes to pull out an old kitchen, does so, and then finds further work that must be done (a common example is rotted out floorboards from leaking plumbing), we stipulate that we MUST do this and it will be added to the cost of the job. Obviously where we can, we quote on this first so you can decide to go ahead with all of it or not, but it does happen that you'll be halfway through removing the old kitchen and find something that has to be done.
It has to be done for 2 reasons:

* To cover us, so there is no chance of the client coming back in 6 months time and saying 'my floorboards are stuffed and you have to fix it'.

* Secondly, because if we don't, we can be fined and open to legal action etc for not maintaining the job to Australian standards.

Basically, we have to do the best job we can, and we quote on this, but sometimes it is unavoidable that further costs will arise. 99% of people understand this and are ok with it, there are a few who get shitty about it but that is why we go through every last little detail of the contract with them before they sign it. Once they do, it's a binding document and we get paid at least a certain percentage of the job costs.

So, the point is, that while it is a right royal pain in the *** for all concerned to have costs arise that werent in the initial quote, in certain circumstances it is unavoidable, and unless you want a considerable fight from the other party concerned (we are a business, we need to cover our costs and we cant return or undo the job).

Last edited by b2tf; 18-03-2005 at 09:04 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #32
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Without knowing specifics we are all just ****ing in the wind.
If you had a written QUOTE (that is a price that the work is to be done for the job and parts listed) anything outside of this has to be at mutal agreement.

If on the other hand it was a written estimate that is an entirely different story and prices may fluxuate.

However upon Payment and completion of the deal you have agreed the work is done and he has agreed the work is done and been paid for accordingly.
any extra expenses are on the shoulders of the person or company providing the service if not taken into account at point of sale.

If though, at point of sale the service provider has said something and you have said no I will pay what I was quoted, check and see if the account was infact finalised or there was an outstanding amount, that being the case the service provider has simply taken a part payment of the final bill. If your bill states paid in full the service provider has not a leg to stand on.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #33
Dez
Banned

i agree with what most people have said in this thread....

for example, what back2thefutura says is quite fair....it has to be done etc. but the difference in this case, is that

a) a quote was agreed upon by both parties.
b) the work was completed and the quoted amount was paid in full.
and then 30% more was requested at a later date, due to a mis-quote or something.

now, going back to what b2tf said, if DURING the work, more costs arise, then shit happens, but "the mechanic" has to call and inform you of these costs, and see if you want to proceed!

this has not been done in this case. "the mechanic" finished the job without any extra problems, got his money, finished a sale, and then sometime later, decided that he mis-quoted and that he needed more money......sorry mr mechanic, but you'd get nothing from me

the only time i'd pay him this extra, is if i had a long history with his services, which would mean they were good. He doesn't sound like he's to nice though, trying to sting you later on...so i'd say, dont pay him, and dont go back to him .
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post