Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I think oil changes every 5,000 are over kill. Mine gets done every 10,000 and the car runs fine.
Mine see's more RPM on a trip to the shops than yours see's in a week Bucky... at 5000kms oil is destroyed in my car.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #32
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default How True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Mine see's more RPM on a trip to the shops than yours see's in a week Bucky... at 5000kms oil is destroyed in my car.
I agree completely, the 10k recommended oil change doesn't take the enthusiast, ( spirited driving into consideration). I want my engine to last hence 5k oil changes. Some may think this is overkill but I think it is piece of mind.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #33
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
True. I like to polish my bulge on a regular basis. The book says every few months, but I do it weekly. :

Speaking of servicing. Had mine done yesterday. A clean bill of health for Ford. Still using those Purolater oil filters. I actually had the oil changed before Christmas for the trip to Adelaide, and I've only done 4,000 k's since then.

Interestin thing I found out is that I was having problems with the sunroof switch. I had them check it out and asked for them to replace the switch as I think it's broken. When I picked the car up yesterday, they said they never replaced the switch, but reset it instead. Apparently they hooked my car up to the big computer in the workshop and reset the switch on the sunroof through that. This information is held in the cars computer. I thought it was weird. But anyway, it worked. Roof Goes open, roof goes closed :1syellow1
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #34
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Bucky, when you polish the bulge does the sunroof suddenly pop up? Maybe all the polishing broke the switch.. not as young as it used to be :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #35
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Often if I my bulge is rubbed, something always goes pop. Sunroof this time
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #36
captain
Starter Motor

Default transmission filter?

This system of reply is new to me, my question is does the transmission have a filter? I always thought the internals are oil lubricated but no oil filtering system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
You buy a service kit
It contains:-
A transmission pan gasket
A filter
A filter O ring

and a pump, a cheap hand held thing will suffice. You have to pump the oil back into the trans, the dipstick filler tube got the ИИИИ by the AU :(

4 ltires of ATF.

Before you start make sure you can remove the 16mm filler bolt on the drivers side half way along and up. No point dropping the oil if you can't fill it back up.

You undo the 10mm bolts on the trans pan, removing the rear bolts completely before working your way along opposite sides until you get to the front.. This allows the fluid to tip out of the rear of the pan not just pouring out everywhere by undoing the bolts out of order.

Take note where the spring clip is located and how it is held on.. Remove the spring clip that holds the filter on
**With pliers remove the filter o ring if didn't come out with your old filter.

Fit the new o ring to your new filter and put that back in

Re-attach the spring clip, you might need pliers to get enough leverage to hook the clip back into place

CLean out your trans pan with some carby cleaner/degreaser, wipe the magnets clean off any swarf and crud

Fit your new pan gasket and bolt it all back up

Now just refill the trans, with your hand pump.. Pump ATF into the fill point on the side of the trans until it just starts to trickle out. Bearing in mind this should be done when the car is level, so if you are using ramps or jacks and stands you need to level the car to check the level correctly

Done
_2:
captain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The filter is flat and fits just above the pan ... it is clipped in place (after being pushed back into place) ... it doesn't look like a normal oil filter ... the filter is internal to the auto gearbox.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #38
Marco
Starter Motor

Default belt or chain driven cam.

Greetings
Could one of you more experienced ford fans please tell me if my 2001 ford Au wagon as a belt or chain driven cam.
Thanks
Marco
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco
Greetings
Could one of you more experienced ford fans please tell me if my 2001 ford Au wagon as a belt or chain driven cam.
Thanks
Marco
Cam is chain driven ... for as long as I can remember ... hee hee
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #40
Marco
Starter Motor

Default Thanks

Thanks for parting with your knowledge Mechan1k.
P.s what's the hee hee for ?.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #41
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I haven't been trusting my memory too much lately ... and it's a bad habit I keep typing it after sentences for some stupid reason
Old 10-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #42
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Hey guys, im a noob to AU's what would be required on a AU XR6 80, 000 k service? and how much if it all runs ok?
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #43
HTU
Starter Motor

Default How many is to many

was not sure what forum to put this.. how many Kms is to many i have a 2001 AU II XR8 220kw... it has 157,000kms on the clock.. it that alot for this car...
HTU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #44
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I have 172,000km on my 2001 AUII XLS ute .... and it's still young.

I have done 70,000km just this year alone.
These motors can handle high kilometres .... as long as you regularly maintain your vehicle ... i service mine regularly because I have to ... it can cost a bit do to the amount of kays I do ... but to me it comes down to being preventative measures.

If i look after my car ... it looks after me.

There's always going to be parts that needs to be replaced and fixed .... but I do them ... cos if i leave things too long it can end up worse.

At the moment I need to do the following to the ute to keep it in good running order:

brakes all round.
transmisson service
oil and filter change
sump gasket
clean air filter out and re-oil (lightly)
new tyres will be comming soon (curent set of 17" rubber has lasted me just over 60,000kays)
handbrake adjustment
needs a decent detail job as well
also up for another diff flush/service as well
Will be doing braided brake lines and a brake fluid flush.
Cooling system might need a flush as well.
I think my battery has seen better days as well ... it may need replacing ... wil see how this winter goes.

It may seem a lot ... but if I can do it bit at a time ... instead of leaving it till it breaks ... it will last longer ... and i know I have car that will be constantly running with minimal or no downtime when i need it most.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #45
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynode
Just picked up the 4L of fluid, gasket and filter for around $100.

Where from?

Can I get the gasket and filter from Autobarn, Repco and SupaCheap Auto?
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #46
bazz
Melbourne Lad

No worries, found the transmission service kit from Burson for $24.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #47
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Make sure you get the right fluid too
It's not your normal DEX III auto trans fluid
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #48
bazz
Melbourne Lad

I grabbed the Auto transmission service kit from Burson for $24 today, also bought 4L of Castrol TQ95 transmission oil for $33, and a handpump to refill it

Wynode, you said it cost it costed you $100 from Crescent Motorsport, that must have included labour or some very fancy transmission fluid?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #49
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Yeah that's what it cost me ... and they that did include labour.
The drum of fluid i use there already has a pump in it
Plus i get to use their hoist as well ... plus the fluid i use it Gulf Western as well (hence I think it's a slightly higher price for that as well.).
Old 06-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #50
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Sounds like a good deal for $100 to me
Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #51
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I know ... it's a hell of a filthy job ... I leave that one to my mechanic ... I might give it a go one day ... meh. I'll give other things a go though (replacing all of my brakes tomorrow after nightshift).
Old 13-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #52
bazz
Melbourne Lad

I just performed the transmission service - my gosh the amount of gunk and metal bits in your oil and on your oil pan is amazing.

Parts costed about $55 in total including the Castrol TQ95 oil and transmission kit, however it was a bloody messy oily job and I would NEVER do it again.

Tip:
Prefill the oilpan with about 1L before you refit it; saves some hand pumping time.

Have some newspaper handy and a full can of degreaser.
Old 24-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #53
suparoo
Starter Motor

hey, was just wondering wot the best engine oil to use in x66 series one?
suparoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #54
DATWHY
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=bazz] Parts costed about $55 in total including the Castrol TQ95 oil and transmission kit, however it was a bloody messy oily job and I would NEVER do it again.

QUOTE]

As a qualified mechanic it always makes me laugh when i hear about people working on there own cars. Is your driveway covered in oil, or how about yourself? lol
DATWHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #55
1hotEL
Starter Motor

Default Injector service

Hi, ive just handed my AU2 in for a 60K service and they just rang me to say they want to service the injectors, is this a scam to make more money?
cheers
1hotEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #56
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Man that's a low kay AU2 ... I have done 3 times that ... LOL
They asked me the same on thet Territory for the 45K service ... i didn't want it ... they wanted something like $150 for the service ... I said it didn't need it.

If you were having cluffishness issues or surging ... then I'd ask for it ... but otherwise it's not needed.
Old 15-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #57
1hotEL
Starter Motor

Smile

Cheers
Old 17-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #58
DATWHY
Starter Motor

when your workshop rings you and tries to sell an injector clean, i would reccomend you decline. the ones they sell are the on-car ones where you just connect it up to the fuel line and run the vehicle. the only way to truly clean your injectors is to remove them and put them in an ultrasonic bath.
i know this cos i have done many on-car flushes. usually the advisor has a monthly target of sell ups, and if he reaches that mark, he gets a percentage of each flush he has sold
DATWHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #59
1hotEL
Starter Motor

As well as the injectors, they wanted to change the brake pads. I declined and when I brought the car home looked at the pads myself and laughed so I took it to a brake place and the mechanic laughed harder than me. How many people do they put the bite on every day? what a joke!
Old 20-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #60
Hords
Treasure your balls?

On a different note...
I recently replaced the O2 sensor since I don't know if it's been done before. AU1's done 210K. Since the change I've gained approx 40-50 Ks a tank full after two fills. At $70 with postage it was worth the gamble. I have since read that it's recommended to change them 160K.