Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Exclamation Servicing your AU - what & when?

Going off suggestions from another thread here's a tidy place for people so inclined to post what they service on their AU and after how many k's (regardless of DIY or mechanic servicing).

To keep things neat I've nicked the format from the AU times thread which people can cut & paste then add to. Also if its a specialty item (e.g. LPG cut-off solenoids) make sure to note that next to the item. Here's the pathetic start I've made, please add!!

Every 5,000kms
- Oil Change

Every 10,000kms
- Oil Filter

Every 20,000kms

Every 25,000kms
- Transmission Servicing

Every 50,000kms

Every 75,000kms

Every 100,000kms
- Timing belt

Every 150,000kms

If we can build this up it'll form a really good knowledge base of how to keep our beasts in top form!

Old 15-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

If it were me Id be replacing the oil filter with the oil too.
Old 15-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
If it were me Id be replacing the oil filter with the oil too.
yup, oil and filter at the same time.
I also change the coolent at least once a year, regardless of km's.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Every 5,000kms
- Oil Change
- Oil Filter
- Battery Fluid Levels (unless its one that doesnt require checking)

Every 10,000kms
- Check Brakes and Fluid
-

Every 20,000kms
- Check Coolant Levels
- Replace brake fluid if you didnt before

Every 25,000kms
- Transmission Servicing

Every 50,000kms
- Plugs and Leads, check and replace if neccesary

Every 75,000kms

Every 100,000kms
- Timing belt
- Replace Coolant, full system flush

Every 150,000kms

Your warranty and service handbook should show you what Ford does at each service. This is a pretty good guide.
Old 15-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Your warranty and service handbook should show you what Ford does at each service. This is a pretty good guide.
'cept if you dont have one ;)
Old 15-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle-F
'cept if you dont have one ;)
ARGH! : forgot ALL about it! lol sorry!

Ill go down to Ford right now!
Old 15-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
legend223

my car needs a good serivce but what u all mean with timing belts in my ford maunal at 100,000 Kms it does not say anything to replace the belt i thought you replace them it your have overhead cams ford dont
legend223 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend223
my car needs a good serivce but what u all mean with timing belts in my ford maunal at 100,000 Kms it does not say anything to replace the belt i thought you replace them it your have overhead cams ford dont
Yeah I dont neccesary think it needs replacing at that particular time either, it should be good enough to last longer than that. Never hurts to check them though, and if its looking a bit worse for wear, whack a new one on.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

Oooh this thread is good this helps me;)

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #10
wynode
Starter Motor

What is involved with:
Quote:
- Transmission Servicing
?

Also, i'm not familiar with Ford's but when changing the sump plug 'gasket' is it just like a crush washer or something else? I take it this can be just purchased from Ford spare parts?

Thanks!
wynode is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 02:51 AM   #11
Steve_T

If this is specific to AU's, then I should point out they don't have timing belts - they have chains - so no need for 100k replacement.

On the V8s the sump plug has a nylon washer on it - unsure on the I6s but assume it's the same. I don't replace mine, I just put loctite on the thread each time I re-fit the sump plug and have never had any leaks or problems.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:14 AM   #12
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_T
If this is specific to AU's, then I should point out they don't have timing belts - they have chains - so no need for 100k replacement.

On the V8s the sump plug has a nylon washer on it - unsure on the I6s but assume it's the same. I don't replace mine, I just put loctite on the thread each time I re-fit the sump plug and have never had any leaks or problems.

Steve.
Yeah the I6 don't have a washer I don't think. I don't have a problem with leaks, but last time I covered the thread and uunder the head of the plug with liquid gasket, just incase
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 04:58 AM   #13
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Every 5,000kms
- Oil Change
- Oil Filter
- Battery Fluid Levels (unless its one that doesnt require checking)
- Air Filter (or a re oil of aftermarket jobbies)

Every 10,000kms
- Check Brakes and Fluid

Every 20,000kms
- Check Coolant Levels
- Replace brake fluid if you didnt before
- Front Pads - depending greatly on pad composition and driving style

Every 25,000kms
- Transmission Servicing
- Rear Pads - depending greatly on pad composition and driving style

Every 50,000kms
- Plugs and Leads, check and replace if neccesary
- Diff oil
- Fuel Filter
- Machine the rotors per 2 sets of pads (thats when I do a fluid change)
- Fan belt

Every 75,000kms

Every 100,000kms
- Timing belt *** wtf!
- Replace Coolant, full system flush
- Front wheel bearings
- Front Shockies/ inspect ball joints for movement
- Idler Pulleys
- Rear sway bar bushes
- Check harmonic balancer for movement
- Full trans flush (as opposed to a filter,pan gasket and oil change @ every 25k)

Every 150,000kms
- Rear wheel bearings

Some of that is more preventative measures but should be considered if your maintainence is DIY

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 05:03 AM   #14
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_T

Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Yeah the I6 don't have a washer I don't think. I don't have a problem with leaks, but last time I covered the thread and uunder the head of the plug with liquid gasket, just incase
THe AU's just use a bolt.. just DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN IT, a steel bolt into alloy sump means the sump thread is not going to like it..

Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 AM   #15
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynode
What is involved with: Transmission Servicing
?
You buy a service kit
It contains:-
A transmission pan gasket
A filter
A filter O ring

and a pump, a cheap hand held thing will suffice. You have to pump the oil back into the trans, the dipstick filler tube got the **** by the AU :(

4 ltires of ATF.

Before you start make sure you can remove the 16mm filler bolt on the drivers side half way along and up. No point dropping the oil if you can't fill it back up.

You undo the 10mm bolts on the trans pan, removing the rear bolts completely before working your way along opposite sides until you get to the front.. This allows the fluid to tip out of the rear of the pan not just pouring out everywhere by undoing the bolts out of order.

Take note where the spring clip is located and how it is held on.. Remove the spring clip that holds the filter on
**With pliers remove the filter o ring if didn't come out with your old filter.

Fit the new o ring to your new filter and put that back in

Re-attach the spring clip, you might need pliers to get enough leverage to hook the clip back into place

CLean out your trans pan with some carby cleaner/degreaser, wipe the magnets clean off any swarf and crud

Fit your new pan gasket and bolt it all back up

Now just refill the trans, with your hand pump.. Pump ATF into the fill point on the side of the trans until it just starts to trickle out. Bearing in mind this should be done when the car is level, so if you are using ramps or jacks and stands you need to level the car to check the level correctly

Done

Old 12-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #16
wynode
Starter Motor

Awesome Racecraft thanks for that!
Old 12-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #17
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

By timing belts I have to assume we are all talking serpentine drive belts? These can be changed whenever you can see fine perishing cracks running across the little ribs.
Another item for checking every 150k is your extension housing oil seal. In my dusty environments I have done mine twice in 90k.
All AU 6 cylinders have sump plug part no: F5RZ-6730-B, I retail the plug for $9.65.
The plug has a rubber lip fused to the rim on the bolt head, what you can do is buy a soft copper washer from your local autostore, for a tenth the price. The only thing that ruins the 6cyl sump plugs is the rubber perishing, stopping it from sealing.
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 01:21 AM   #18
Steve_T

Only thing I would question on the latest service list above would be the air filter at 5000km - fine to check it then, and if it's a paper one then replace if necessary (should last longer than that though) but you shouldn't be re-oiling a re-usable filter that frequently (unless you race your car across the desert each week ) If you clean and re-oil a filter that often, not only will you wear it out in no time, but you will virtually never be getting as good a filtration as you should - those sorta filters almost rely on some dust being suspended in them to augment the oil coating as a medium to trap further dirt particles. When the filter starts to look brown on the inlet side or when the dirt builds up almost as thick as the mesh (ie. starts to fill the holes in the mesh) then you should wash and clean. I've had my K&N in for about 15,000km and drive in pretty dusty conditions including dirt road sometimes and have never needed to clean it yet - you won't get any better efficency by cleaning more often than needed. Technically the ideal time to clean is when the restriction through the filter reaches 1inHg at reasonably high revs.

BTW, I am making two assumtions here - A) You are talking about K&N style filters like most of us have and B) that by re-oiling you mean cleaning and re-oiling. The only other time you would apply oil in between cleaning is if you hold the filter up to the light and see any white spots on the surface with no oil on 'em.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 05:35 AM   #19
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

fair enough Steve, sounds like good advice.. I am a paper filter man and have no experience with the re-usable filters

Old 14-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Also you need the 95LE fluid for the auto ... not the Dex III (cos this kills the Ford 4-speed autos).

Nice write-up for the auto service Tibbo ... recently did one ... and it used more than 4L of fluid.

Also to add to it ... after filling ... take the car for a drive ... and if the shifting is sloppy and not shifting ... add more fluid till it flows out the bolt hole ... after the initial use it seeps through the parts and the level drops.

It's a Pain in the Butt ... but it's a necessary job to prolong the life of your auto.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #21
wynode
Starter Motor

I just had a look at the manaul and for normal driving it actually says every 50K for the transmission fluid change (Auto) ?
Old 28-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Depends what you class normal driving I guess ... for prolonged life ... I'd do it a little more regularly than 50,000km.

It's like now they say 15,000km between oil changes ... maybe it's just me ... but I don't like to leave it that long between oil changes ... it may be the view of others ... but i have found that replacing oil a little more regularly than that ... the engine stays in better condition for a longer period of time.
Old 29-10-2005, 01:42 AM   #23
wynode
Starter Motor

Mechan1k, valid point.

I've noticed a bit of a leak around the tranny pan near the rubber seal so I might do the service now and get it all done once and for all. Hopefully the service kit isn't too expensive.
Old 29-10-2005, 01:50 AM   #24
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Depends what you class normal driving I guess ... for prolonged life ... I'd do it a little more regularly than 50,000km.

It's like now they say 15,000km between oil changes ... maybe it's just me ... but I don't like to leave it that long between oil changes ... it may be the view of others ... but i have found that replacing oil a little more regularly than that ... the engine stays in better condition for a longer period of time.
Good advice! Preventative maintenace is the key. At 50k, in the 16 auto (with a shallow oil pan) the oil would be RS completely. City driving, it is shot a 20k.Engine Oil changes at 15k, fine if you want to change cars every few years & don;t care. Ford changed the anti from the E series to the A series due to a capacity change of .5 of a litre, so it went from 10k to 15k , hard to work out!. I would rather err on the side of being conservative to safeguard against any mechanical problems & ensure reliability
Old 29-10-2005, 02:11 AM   #25
wynode
Starter Motor

Roughly how much is the service kit for the the auto transmission + fluid?
Old 31-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #26
wynode
Starter Motor

Just picked up the 4L of fluid, gasket and filter for around $100.
Old 31-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynode
Roughly how much is the service kit for the the auto transmission + fluid?

can't remember now ... I got mine done at Crescent Motorsport in Liverpool ... I get a discount there being on www.fordmods.com ... Ford specilist mechanic and LPG mechanic/fitter, etc.

Joe and the guys there do top work ... plus I get to use the workshop as well if i ask nicely ... hee hee
Old 03-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #28
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I remember some time ago there was a full flush of the auto transmission article .It involved undoing some of the tranny lines.Does anyone know the procedure or how much fluid should be purchased for the job?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

AU2 Fluid Specs:
Engine Coolant 16 litres - Ford Spec WSS-M97-B44C or D (Warning - do not mix different grades of colant. Always flush the system before refilling with a different grade coolant)
Brake Fluid 0.5 litres - DOT4 minimum
Power Steering 0.95 litres - Ford Spec ESN-M2C-134D or MobilFluid 424 (Ford R1-424)
Auto Trans 4.0 litres - Ford R1-48 or Castrol TQ-95, Mobil ATF 95LE or equivalent (does not include torque converter)
Manual Trans 1.9 litres - Ford Spec ESR-M2C-163A - Dexron 2, Ford R1-36 (Add 150ml of Lubrizol 7906 friction modifier)
Engine Oil (except XR8 sedan) 5.5 litres - API spec SJ/CF 10W30/40/50 Ford Spec WSS-M2C910-A2. Ford R1-310
Engine Oil (XR8 sedan only) 5.5 litres - API spec SJ/CF 15W40 Ford Spec WSE-M2C902-A3. Ford R1-300
Diff Oil 1.65 litres - 6 cyl SAE90 Hypoid Ford Spec ESW-M2C108-a or WSP-M2C197-A
Diff Oil 1.65 litres - LSD 6cyl - SAE90 EP Ford Spec ESW-FM2C1006-B
Diff Oil 1.60 litres - V8, XR & IRS Mobilibe SHC ID Ford Spec ESZ-M2C190-A
Air con refrigerant 850grams - R134a Ford Spec WSH-M1C231-B
Air con compressor Oil 207ml - Sanden SP-10 PAG

Thought that list may be handy in this thread.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #30
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think oil changes every 5,000 are over kill. Mine gets done every 10,000 and the car runs fine.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post