Old 21-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #31
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy
You're right, and no one said we should all not be doing something
We should all not be doing something.

Now its been said.

For every single piece of doomsday evidence, ive seen evidence to the contrary from another source.

"Everything is fine" Doesnt sell on the front cover of the Sun.

"We will all perish in dantes sixth circle of hell if we dont drive a hybrid in the next 20 minutes" Does sell on the front cover of the Sun.

Global warming, no wait, maybe its an ice age, no wait, we are all going to drown in fresh water, no wait, its going to be a drought, no, hang on, short skirts are back this year, the atlantic cod have diverted their yearly migration up my left trouser leg, The African honey bees are suddenly singing Bing Crosby melodies and my pet duck is barking at strangers. Its all clear everyone! Disaster is at hand!

Lots of evidence, none of it conclusive, all of it theory, none of it definitive, plenty of hysteria and a distinct lack of rational thought. Predictive Global Meteorology is the new witchcraft, and why dont we get to burn a few at the stake? It worked before.

Why not tax us? The mob are stupid enough to swallow it. The mob are stupid enough to believe what spews forth from the media whore industrial complex. Its a tax on social ineptitude.

Why wont we revolt? Because we have a huge middle class. People with nothing to lose revolt. People with alot to lose, write snotty letters to the local council over their rubbish collection policy, and complain on the internet about carbon offset.

Why bother voting for anyone when the hyenas do the dark bidding of Today Tonight.

Vote for the Atlantic Cod in my trouser leg.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #32
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Good post sourbastard.

Quote:
all of it theory
Most of it isn't that good. I'd say hypothesis. And hysteria.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #33
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
I've heard a bit about this "fat" tax... What a load of rubbish, if people want to be fatties then its their responsibility. I dont want my food (big mac) to go up again cause someone is a compulsive fatso with no self control.

If i could figure out what the special sauce is, then they can tax the hell out of it...
its made up of pickles and onions. :monkes:
Old 22-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #34
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
its made up of pickles and onions. :monkes:
I'm ex-Maccas, my GF loved Big Macs and its sauce until I told her the main ingredient was pickles while she was half way through a bite...

She nearly hurled and I finished the Big Mac.

Is scary how the government and the public can be so lead astray by a theory and hysteria surrounding it...

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #35
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Those poncho wearing non contributers, should be used as land fill.
Fertilise the bush. Doze in a greenie

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #36
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

While I don't subscribe to all the current theories about global warming, one thing is for sure, we are pumping a lot of crap into the environment and this can't be a good thing. We may only contribute a small amount, but our small amount exceeds our percentage of the population.

I was disappointed years ago with the introduction of ULP and it's effect on the performance of cars. We seem to have adapted to that and I'm sure whatever the future brings there will be people who can engineer excitement into it.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #37
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Why is the Australian Government pushing so hard and fast with changes/penalties for Aussie motorists, when it's well known and documented that we contribute less than one percent of the worlds greenhouse gas emissions? Of that, again smaller percentage created by motor vehicles.
In a broader sense you are asking why the various governments seem intent on punishing the average Australian for human frailty. It's because politicians carry compromised ethics and need to be seen as taking the moral high ground to offset their own short comings and misdemeanors.

I'm fed up watching the various punitive legislation that is snatching back the gains made by the sixties/seventies generation. The very same people who had a free university education, a freewheeling lifetsyle and the opportunity to make and learn from errors of judgement are the ones who seem hell bent on making sure we return to the austere, laconic and pious lifestyles of the war generation.

If you younger generation don't start getting out there and protesting at the invasion and erosion of your rights, you will end up whipping donkeys for big business and big government, just like your grandparent's generation was.

We are like the frog that has been put in a saucepan of cool water and the burner lit for a slow simmer.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #38
HOEBAG
Banned

speaking of hippies has anyone else noticed them drive around their stupid beetle bug van's that have the WORST fuel economy and the WORST emissions ever?
HOEBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #39
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper
speaking of hippies has anyone else noticed them drive around their stupid beetle bug van's that have the WORST fuel economy and the WORST emissions ever?

Because you cant fit a surfboard, guitar and hydro setup in the back of a Prius
Old 23-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #40
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its all about the money plain and simple, whatever the government believes to be problem will get taxed in an effort to "cut down the rubbish" all while the media feeds us some crap that could not be further from the truth or is made out to be something 10 times badder than it really is. All the sheep of the world oohh and ahh cause they read it in the news paper and saw it on the news at night and then walk off telling all their friends and family to report thier findings. This happens while most of us then sit there and thing wtf has this gone up now, why am I being charged for this, why is there a levy on this etc etc and then the next thing you know your getting a $10 dollar late fee for wiping your *** an extra minute after taking a dump. It will never end and will only get worse and worse. We have great quality of life in this country but some things are getting ridiculous. Watch what happens next time you go 5 kays over the limit or hook a right at a no turning sign at 2am with absolutely no one in sight except that black car you notice hiding in the bushes
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #41
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I can’t say it’s a surprise to find global warming sceptics on a board like this one, but my god the ignorance displayed by some is just scary. Ok, so we have a bunch of scientists dismissing human’s role in global warming, but there are plenty more with the opposite view. So what do we do? Continue to burn with reckless abandon? Or at least exercise some caution?
Putting global warming aside for now, what about peak oil? Anyone here prepared to debunk that theory as well? We'll never completely run out of oil, but it’s a finite resource, so it’s going to get damn expensive. One way or another, our transport must adapt and utilise alternative energies. Taxing fuel and carbon is a simple and effective way of harnessing the market to achieve this end. People won’t stop using something until they have a good reason, and what better reason than a high cost?
As for us car enthusiasts, and yes, I'm into cars - I'm no hippie, I don’t think this is an entirely bad thing. Driving these days, for the most part, sucks. No one needs to be driving around the city in V8's, or even big sixes. Does all that power make sitting in traffic any more enjoyable? My point, one of them anyway, is that I think there needs to be more separation of driving for pleasure, and driving from a to b.
Pulling the V8 out on the weekend for a cruise should be something we can always enjoy. For those morons cruising aimlessly up and down Chapel Street, just off - use your car for what it was designed - fanging down the great ocean road or through the black spur for example. That’s what driving is about - not sitting in traffic or at red lights.
Having said all that, I think slapping a tax on cars with higher fuel consumption (whether as a lump sum at purchase, or on registration) is a simplistic, misguided and draconian measure. Carbon should be taxed, no doubt. Whatever your view on global warming and its cause, we can’t keep pumping carbon in the air. Taxing carbon creates a user pays system - the Prius driver who does 50,000km a year will pay the same as the V8 driver who drives 10,000km. It’s a much fairer system that will discourage the everyday use of inefficient vehicles, which is what needs to happen.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #42
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Sorry to go off topic but after 10 wild turkey cans i just looked at Rodp's Avatar and tried to kill that bug off my screen lol damn u!
SLYXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Well I can’t say it’s a surprise to find global warming sceptics on a board like this one, but my god the ignorance displayed by some is just scary. Ok, so we have a bunch of scientists dismissing human’s role in global warming, ........ ETC.
Just a quick point .......

Your a car enthusiust so with the first post on a car forum you preach about global warming?

I have 6 - V8's, drive one everyday and think of nothing better than sitting in traffic ...... please dont tell me or anyone else how I should enjoy myself .... OH and welcome Yes I am ignorant and I am scarey .......

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #44
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You may have 6 V8s, but you can only drive one at a time, unless you get 5 other mates and all sit in traffic for the hell of it lol.

We've got other problems to worry about instead of "Global Warming", first lets start with our dying car industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #45
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Well I can’t say it’s a surprise to find global warming sceptics on a board like this one, but my god the ignorance displayed by some is just scary. Ok, so we have a bunch of scientists dismissing human’s role in global warming, but there are plenty more with the opposite view. So what do we do? Continue to burn with reckless abandon? Or at least exercise some caution?
Putting global warming aside for now, what about peak oil? Anyone here prepared to debunk that theory as well? We'll never completely run out of oil, but it’s a finite resource, so it’s going to get damn expensive. One way or another, our transport must adapt and utilise alternative energies. Taxing fuel and carbon is a simple and effective way of harnessing the market to achieve this end. People won’t stop using something until they have a good reason, and what better reason than a high cost?
[B]As for us car enthusiasts, and yes, I'm into cars - I'm no hippie, I don’t think this is an entirely bad thing. Driving these days, for the most part, sucks. No one needs to be driving around the city in V8's, or even big sixes. Does all that power make sitting in traffic any more enjoyable? My point, one of them anyway, is that I think there needs to be more separation of driving for pleasure, and driving from a to b.
Pulling the V8 out on the weekend for a cruise should be something we can always enjoy. For those morons cruising aimlessly up and down Chapel Street, just off - use your car for what it was designed - fanging down the great ocean road or through the black spur for example. That’s what driving is about - not sitting in traffic or at red lights.
Having said all that, I think slapping a tax on cars with higher fuel consumption (whether as a lump sum at purchase, or on registration) is a simplistic, misguided and draconian measure. Carbon should be taxed, no doubt. Whatever your view on global warming and its cause, we can’t keep pumping carbon in the air. Taxing carbon creates a user pays system - the Prius driver who does 50,000km a year will pay the same as the V8 driver who drives 10,000km. It’s a much fairer system that will discourage the everyday use of inefficient vehicles, which is what needs to happen.

Not every one lives in the city mate so people need the torque from a big motor for work(towing) And because of this we have to pay to feed the thing and now you suggest we should pay more because its a luxury so you say
a luxury is been able to take a train to work a almost no expense. Love to see a prius towing my tonne and a half of trailer . probly be worse emmisions anyway after that . My point is don't put everyone in the same bracket as you
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #46
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
You may have 6 V8s, but you can only drive one at a time, unless you get 5 other mates and all sit in traffic for the hell of it lol.

We've got other problems to worry about instead of "Global Warming", first lets start with our dying car industry.
I start them all up in the morning and wait and see which runs out of petrol first ......... Every time you say "I don't beleive in Global Warming", a Prius dies!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #47
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
I start them all up in the morning and wait and see which runs out of petrol first ......... Every time you say "I don't beleive in Global Warming", a Prius dies!
Prius is a useless device out in the country like me anyway, Electric motor only works up to 40km/h, majority of my driving is at 100km/h for long distances, whats the point of paying an extra $10,000 ontop of a decent car for a feature I wouldn't even use that only makes the car heavier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #48
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't beleive in Global Warming"
There's my good dead for the day
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 04:00 AM   #49
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Just a quick point .......

Your a car enthusiust so with the first post on a car forum you preach about global warming?

I have 6 - V8's, drive one everyday and think of nothing better than sitting in traffic ...... please dont tell me or anyone else how I should enjoy myself .... OH and welcome Yes I am ignorant and I am scarey .......

Thanks for the welcome, but its not really necessary. I used to post here a few years back, under the same name, but for whatever reason I was required to sign up again the other day.
And yes, I'm a car enthusiast, who is concerned about global warming and the effect it will inevitiably have on the cars future.

A few people have raised valid points, main one being not everyone lives in the city and can take advantage of public transport. Thats a big issue in a country like Australia which is so vast and sparsely populated, and the main reason people will NEVER give up personal transport. People who tout public transport as the answer have got their head in the sand. Much like most of you regarding global warming actually....
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #50
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Seriously mate,
i think your posting in the wrong place to speak your peice.
although i can see what your saying and the points your bringing across, but i can also see everyone elses point!

for me personally,
i wont bore you with my life story but i had a hard time in hospital not so long ago and have just come out of my shell about it. before i was admitted i bought my dream car! AUII XR8, had big plans!
2 years later i come back to the same forum i read back then, i asked questions and got answers i even got quotes for parts and such.
now i am back living a normal life and enjoying cars like the next man on these forums the last thing i need to hear is someone telling us we should seek other forms of transport over the cars we worked our butts off to get and take pride in owning!
i own a XR8 and i cruise the streets, i am not a hoon i dont do laps but i drive and admire MY CAR very much! even if a trip to woolies lets me show off my pride and joy.
i go on weekend cruises when my wife is off work.
i seriously dont see how you get off on saying a person like me should not use his motor car!
SLYXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post