Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #61
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind it, seems easy enough to find your away around once you've had it for a while. The only thing is i sometimes get an error message saying the com surogate has stoped working. You click ok and it just regenerates the error message. It seems to have no effect on how things run it's just anoying. Anyone know what thats about?
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 AM   #62
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
I don't mind it, seems easy enough to find your away around once you've had it for a while. The only thing is i sometimes get an error message saying the com surogate has stoped working. You click ok and it just regenerates the error message. It seems to have no effect on how things run it's just anoying. Anyone know what thats about?
An application you've installed is chucking a wobbly. I use to get that with Nero until I upgraded to the latest version.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #63
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
Was wondering whether that was just mine. Mine reguarly drops out and goes into local mode only. I then have to disconnect and reconnect.
SO ANNOYING
Mine was doing this daily a few weeks back. I rang tech support (Belkin) and it was the duration of the session timeout from memory which was changed in the wireless modem page

Although if I leave the PC on all day it will disconnect from the internet, even though the connection is fine on the laptop. I have to restart the computer to get the connection back
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #64
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Boo for Vista.

I just bought a new HP note book and it came with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007. They are both to advanced and its like as said previously trying to learn another language. After 2 weeks of ownership I think I have finally mastered it so I will keep it but I still think XP is the way to go. I used to have and still do on the desktop XP Pro Service pack 2 with Office XP and i like it better
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 AM   #65
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've had nothing but problems with it & found no genuine benefit, to me it's the biggest load of junk since ME but I'm sure by the time next version comes out all will be good but when ever they make big jumps they land flat on there face & then claw their way back.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #66
Bax
Projecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
I've had nothing but problems with it & found no genuine benefit, to me it's the biggest load of junk since ME but I'm sure by the time next version comes out all will be good but when ever they make big jumps they land flat on there face & then claw their way back.
What problems are you having?
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #67
andrewts
White Car Driver

Vista is a bad experience. There is nothing it does that XP can't do faster or easier. On the other hand, I think Office 2007 is fantastic. Once you get used to the way it is set out, it really is more productive in my opinion. Of course, we all know that it didn't get any better than Windows 2000 Professional and Office 2000.

I miss clipart...
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #68
kerrcdc
Starter Motor

Vista is quite buggy, particularly as a media centre platform. I updated my media centre from MCE2005 about 6 months ago and have been plagued with issues, only now am i getting them all under control. Vista looks good, but i feel there is very little value-add for the home user, business users aside, if you are happy with XP, stay there until Vista is cheaper (and perhaps SP2 )!
kerrcdc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #69
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

BOO for vista... after less then a week i reverted back to XP... more issues arrised. wouldnt burn CD's (now works perfect on XP) the display drivers (windows and N-vidia) both played up and kept resetting games during play as the driver shut down. games froze loading up due to video driver

so im back to XP SP2 and everything is smooth again.. oh and no more cutting out internet
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #70
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

I'm in the process of having my new laptop put back to XP...Vista would not install any of my Coreldraw software or my sign cutting software....Vista is crap...lol

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #71
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

It would seem that more people are having a bad time with Vista than good. Perhaps it comes down to what you expect from it. My new laptop/desk top system has had a few weird hangs over the last few weeks. It is starting to remind me of ME.
Old 25-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #72
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Ive just updated my pc to a asus pro31sc as282c. 2ghz processor Core 2 duo, 2gb memory running vista premium and the thing is slower than my four year old dell 1.5 ghz, 512ram and a 60gib hd which is completely chockers.

Any ideas why?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #73
Virgil83

The entire "Vista is crap vs. Vista is great" debate is an interesting one...

I ran the team that evaluated Vista suitability for my company (a very large multinational security firm) back in March/April 2007. At that time, my report said... well, the summary was basically... "Vista in its current state, is unsuitable as a business operating system in a production environment. It does have certain advantages when compared to our current SOE operating system, especially when coupled with new features gleaned from the Office 2007 suite, however at this time I can not in good conscience recommend that (company) Asia-Pacific move to the Windows Vista Operating System, or to Office 2007".

So, after months of testing, I found Vista (in a business environment) to be unstable, slow and generally incompetent. Remember however, this was testing on a variety of Dell PCs, with typical business specs - not exactly the perfect showcase for Vista, but they run XP exceptionally well.

Fast forward a few months to October, when I built my new main PC for home... the specs are a little better than the typical Office PC (Core Duo E6850, 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, 7800GTX Video etc), but I decided just for a hoot to install Vista Ultimate on it when I built it, purely out of interest... BUT! I've never been happier with the performance of a machine, ever! Never had a crash, the system looks pretty, is highly responsive, runs apps and games seamlessly, an all round great performer.

After my experiences, and in my opinion as an IT Professional, I would have no hesitation in recommending Vista as a home use OS, however only under extremely limited conditions. For those of us running very high end systems, even using it as a gaming platform, the performance is great. I would not recommend, however, that "typical" spec PCs make the jump to Vista at this time.

plus now...

December build 2007 BF XT Falcon Sedan in Lightning Strike with Cruise Control, Reversing Sensors, Factory Bluetooth, iPod/MP3 input, Tint and a Navman S30 GPS.
Virgil83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #74
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I installed vista ultimate here, besides getting used to were things are, it really isnt that bad, i love the new effects too...

Go vista!
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #75
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I was one of the early adopters of vista. Have been running it since the beta release. I am running it on a P4 3.6GHZ with 4GB ram (of which only 3.2GB are usable actually, but that's another story). When using it as a standalone PC and basic web/email/word stuff it is great. Everything works fine, nice and fast and very stable.
I also do a lot of photo work, both stills and movies. Nothing pro mainly hobby stuff but still have over 10,000 photos, mainly happy snaps of the kids.
This was running on XP pro and the photos/movies were on a 4TB NAS shared to everything else at home.
So I thought i'll use vista to do some photo management and see how the media center in it works.
And this is where vista comes unstuck. Badly. Copying or accessing a large number of files from the network simply does not work. I have tried all the tips and workarounds and still it is very slow. at least an order of magnitude slower than XP on the same hardware and same network. Transferring a large directory with approx 6,000 files in it, the speed drops to ~300k/sec. I've seen faster dial-up transfers.
Micro$oft acknowledge there is a problem and have supplied a hot-fix that did absolutely nothing. their response: try a different NAS server or wait for service pack 1 either of which may or may not fix the problem.
Like I can just swap out 4TB of NAS that works perfectly with everything else.
So I would totally 100% agree with Virgil83 that vista is simply not ready for prime time yet. Nice eye candy but there is absolutely nothing that it can do better than XP and there are things it is significantly worse.

P.S. I just love this comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION
It now comes bundled with all versions of Micro$oft Vista
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #76
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Windows 95 - Windows 98 = Whinging
Windows 98 - Windows XP = Whinging
Windows XP - Windows Vista = Whinging

Yet everyone ends up liking the previous version when the next one comes out. And itll happen again.. and again.. and again. Up untill the SP patches come out which make it bearable. Keep complaining because its your own fault for getting it.
Old 26-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #77
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we bought a dell desktop (probably our first mistake) came with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, just recently when some updates for the bluetooth came out the drivers for both disappeared and we cant get the keyboard to work at all! so we bought a USB keyboard and mouse thinking it'd work but nup after a week the drivers have disappeared (its suppose to already have the drivers cause it came with no CD) no matter what cant get the keyboard working, mouse does work though, and its a real PIA using the on screen keyboard
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #78
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
we bought a dell desktop (probably our first mistake) came with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, just recently when some updates for the bluetooth came out the drivers for both disappeared and we cant get the keyboard to work at all! so we bought a USB keyboard and mouse thinking it'd work but nup after a week the drivers have disappeared (its suppose to already have the drivers cause it came with no CD) no matter what cant get the keyboard working, mouse does work though, and its a real PIA using the on screen keyboard
What computer did you get? I just ordered a XPS 720 from them.
Old 26-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #79
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dimension E521 as long as you dont have Vista you'll be alright.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #80
XlR8TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil83
Fast forward a few months to October, when I built my new main PC for home... the specs are a little better than the typical Office PC (Core Duo E6850, 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, 7800GTX Video etc),
DDR3 RAM, but a 7800GTX? Why spend that much on RAM, but skimp on the graphics card? 2GB of DDR2 800MHz and an 8800GTS would be much better for gaming.

Vista is designed for new hardware. It's a new OS that needs current tech. Why would MS release an operating system to run on someones Pentium 166 with 32MB of RAM? I think this is the point most people are missing. They try and run it on their old PoS, and then when it chugs along, they label it as terrible. The mentioning of driver issues seems to be a weird one to me. The only driver issues you should have are with really old peripherals etc. I'm running Home Premium 64bit, which in theory should have more driver issues, but I haven't had a single one.

The whole thread could be summed up by saying....if you're buying a new PC with a core2duo and at least 2GB of RAM, you'll love Vista. If not...don't bother :P
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #81
Virgil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
DDR3 RAM, but a 7800GTX? Why spend that much on RAM, but skimp on the graphics card? 2GB of DDR2 800MHz and an 8800GTS would be much better for gaming.
Yeah, my mistake... an 8800GTX...

plus now...

December build 2007 BF XT Falcon Sedan in Lightning Strike with Cruise Control, Reversing Sensors, Factory Bluetooth, iPod/MP3 input, Tint and a Navman S30 GPS.
Virgil83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #82
Sprint347
Tickford

I have it on my thinkpad and it works great (picked up EVERY driver from installing from a Vista Business DVD), but I still use XPP at work and will continue to do so for some time yet
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #83
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Anyone know a fix for chunky video live feeds or even just youtube for that matter? I assume its the vista os thats the cause of the chunky playback.

I'm on adsl and have never had an issue before with the old dell lappy running xp pro. I can't even listen to the radio without it stopping every 30sec or so to buffer.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 30-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #84
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Anyone know a fix for chunky video live feeds or even just youtube for that matter? I assume its the vista os thats the cause of the chunky playback.

I'm on adsl and have never had an issue before with the old dell lappy running xp pro. I can't even listen to the radio without it stopping every 30sec or so to buffer.
How much RAM/Memory do you have installed. Vista uses 512 for itself, so unless you have minimum 1GB you're likely to have issues (more than 1Gb is better)?

Also, check your paging file/virtual memory settings to make sure it's not too low. The system should automatically set it to half as much again (1Gb memory should see it at 1536Mb low end).

Personally, I would set it at 2048Mb low end if you have 1Gb RAM.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #85
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex

Vista is designed for new hardware. It's a new OS that needs current tech. Why would MS release an operating system to run on someones Pentium 166 with 32MB of RAM? I think this is the point most people are missing. They try and run it on their old PoS, and then when it chugs along, they label it as terrible. The mentioning of driver issues seems to be a weird one to me. The only driver issues you should have are with really old peripherals etc. I'm running Home Premium 64bit, which in theory should have more driver issues, but I haven't had a single one.

The whole thread could be summed up by saying....if you're buying a new PC with a core2duo and at least 2GB of RAM, you'll love Vista. If not...don't bother :P
I Agree!
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #86
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
How much RAM/Memory do you have installed. Vista uses 512 for itself, so unless you have minimum 1GB you're likely to have issues (more than 1Gb is better)?

Also, check your paging file/virtual memory settings to make sure it's not too low. The system should automatically set it to half as much again (1Gb memory should see it at 1536Mb low end).

Personally, I would set it at 2048Mb low end if you have 1Gb RAM.
I have 2GB ram so that should be heaps. In the virtual memory settings it says its currently allocated 2346mb but above that figure it says recommended 3069mb. Any idea why it states 3069 is recommended?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 30-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #87
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy

I found by turning off the 'phishing filter' in IE it fixed the choppy playback and improved general web browsing
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #88
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrane
I found by turning off the 'phishing filter' in IE it fixed the choppy playback and improved general web browsing
Ok checked that, it was already disabled. Thanks for the tip anyway.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 30-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #89
gtfpv
GT

well i'm looking for a computor at the moment . and the computor shops . say. go with VISTA. because in 6 months time WINDOWS XP will be non existant .as far as buying a pc goes.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #90
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I got 2 new computers with VISTA and both of them freeze MSN messenger when you boot up, sometimes they come good sometimes i have to restart, yet VISTA works fine on my older computer GRR.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post