Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Vista = garbage!!

A couple of weeks ago I went and bought a new HP HDX9003TX. Its a 20" note book. It came with vista. I thought that I would give vista a chance. After 3 weeks with the OS I have decided that it is a backward step from XP pro. It seems that the things that you use most are the hardest to find/use. It seems like drivers are non existant.

What have others found??

Old 31-10-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Have you got Office 2007 aswell? Its like trying to learn a new language, not good when you have deadlines to meet and formating is a requirement!!!!!!!

We have VISTA at home and now work and as far as turning it on, using programs and surfing the net i havent had any problems with it, its file configurations are confusing tho, you cant navigate easily like XP..

I think XP was so good Microsoft had no where to go, so they went backwards, made things a bit out there to get people in to buy the product.. Mac cough cough.

As for drivers i havent had to install any yet as its bright enough to get them for me!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION
It now comes bundled with all versions of Micro$oft Vista
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Drivers are non existant? WTF? What can't you find drivers for? And IF there were a lack of drivers, that has SFA to do with Vista..it's the manufacturers that develop drivers, not MS.

Can you explain why Vista is "garbage"?
I'm very pro Vista...I realise it might take a bit of getting used to when coming from XP, but really...it isn't all that different...everything is pretty much in the same place.
Old 31-10-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
feebs
BrwnBstd

what makes it worse is that new laptops now do not come with drivers for windows xp.. making it harder to backdate the OS... also.. with 7 odd different vesions of Vista around...that Toshiba retail laptops do not come with domain compatible versions..

Then there's the 1 GIG MINIMUM memory requirement (not official but running anything less is a joke).

Hopefully a full service pack will help.

..I agree about office 2007, with the menu bars, and the issues with sending files to users of older versions.. PITA.
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:27 AM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Everyone I know who's running Office 2007 thinks it a massive improvement. Again, it takes a bit of time to learn the new interface, but once you know it, its a LOT easier to use and is much more productive.

Hardware requirements are not a "bad thing"...it's called advancement in technology...same as when we went from 98 to XP...more memory/CPU was needed to run it smoothly. Why create a new OS that can run on a P3 500 with 256MB RAM?
Old 31-10-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

yeah i brought a Laptop 2 months or so ago and it came with vista, really dont like it seems pretty slow, doesnt like alot of progams ie Zonealarm with i use on the Desktop runnign XP as the firewall/anti viru went to put it on The laptop even with the right vist driver and it still didnt like it, also haveing problem trying to network the do will not talk to eachother at all, finally got both working though the router to use the next and by then i had had enough so just left it like that

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
feebs
BrwnBstd

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
Everyone I know who's running Office 2007 thinks it a massive improvement. Again, it takes a bit of time to learn the new interface, but once you know it, its a LOT easier to use and is much more productive.

Hardware requirements are not a "bad thing"...it's called advancement in technology...same as when we went from 98 to XP...more memory/CPU was needed to run it smoothly. Why create a new OS that can run on a P3 500 with 256MB RAM?

XP came after 2000, and the abandoned OS WIndows ME.

Xp ran faster than 2000 on the same hardware.. and was am improvement straight away..
Vista does have some nice stuff.. but 'nice stuff' is what Apple has allways relied on.... people always realise three weeks later that you can't actually do anything with their apple other than surf the net and make pretty pictures.

Vista has become serious bloatware.. with 700 + megabytes being allocated just to start up.. and even then another 15 seconds to open up basic dialogues such as the control panel or even my computer..
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After a lot of personal configurations and finally ppl have released wireless cards and drivers for 64 bit i dont think it is that bad.

My first time i used it 6 months ago i agree it suxed there was no driver support. Now things are picking up.

Everyone is bagging vista out but remember xp before the first service pack, that suxed hard also and everyone hated it.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs
XP came after 2000, and the abandoned OS WIndows ME.

Xp ran faster than 2000 on the same hardware.. and was am improvement straight away..
Vista does have some nice stuff.. but 'nice stuff' is what Apple has allways relied on.... people always realise three weeks later that you can't actually do anything with their apple other than surf the net and make pretty pictures.

Vista has become serious bloatware.. with 700 + megabytes being allocated just to start up.. and even then another 15 seconds to open up basic dialogues such as the control panel or even my computer..
Thats true, I forgot about 2000...

Although if you are having a 15 second delay top open my computer or control panel, you have some serious computer issues...
Old 31-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
Drivers are non existant? WTF? What can't you find drivers for? And IF there were a lack of drivers, that has SFA to do with Vista..it's the manufacturers that develop drivers, not MS.

Can you explain why Vista is "garbage"?
I'm very pro Vista...I realise it might take a bit of getting used to when coming from XP, but really...it isn't all that different...everything is pretty much in the same place.
I gave myself about 3 weeks to get used to it. I have always found XP quite intuative. Vista is far from that. Tonight I tried to install a DVDXpressDx2. It is a little interface that can take input from a VCR or camera and create a DVD from them, it hooks up via a USB port.. Even though I could down load drivers from the manufacturers web site, installing them was like pulling teeth. I gave up after a couple of hours and set it up on a XP pro computer in about 10 minutes. I realise that this is not Microsofts problem. But making a OS that cannot use pre existing drivers is BS.

And I do have office 2007. I havent used it a lot but my daughter reckons that it is excellent. I will find out for myself no doubt.
Old 31-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #12
rodderz

lol...I was pulling my hair out after getting Vista too, some design programs I had used for work were incompatible with Vista, and some dvd programs either had errors or didnt work at all.

I've changed all the settings to be more like XP and there were drivers and some programs I managed to find or download to make things work, but not after the brand new PC got blamed a fair bit and multiple sets of naughty words. Seems ok now though
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I bought a joystick for my flight simulator. The joystick is Plug & Play on a XP machine but on Vista, it wont work unless I play in the device drivers bit. Very annoying but really overall I've found it to be very user friendly and performs without any other dramas on my PC.
Old 31-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
twr7cx

I've yet to have a drama, I've been running Vista on my home PC, my tablet PC and my Home Theatre PC for months now - drivers have been fine, automatically finds and installs them from the next.
Old 31-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
And I do have office 2007. I haven't used it a lot but my daughter reckons that it is excellent. I will find out for myself no doubt.
OBJ ,
There's your teacher , : When we first "Updated" to Win95 , we just called the kids in and asked them (they were in Primary school then ), had it running in no time

Now everyone can have a laugh , it's only been just over 18 months we went from Win 95 to XP . All the software I used , ran under 95 and couldn't see any reason to upgrade . I still use some software that runs on DOS and a 486 , won't even work in 95 .

Suppose I'm a "stuck in the mud" but XP will do me for a while yet . lol .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
I still use some software that runs on DOS and a 486 , won't even work in 95 .
I still play DOS games on XP care of a little thing called "DOSBox" that emulates DOS under Windows XP.

Oh the joys of the old games!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I have no issues with VISTA at all, running vista premium on new dell optiplex computer with 2gb of ram. Also running vista business on a new laptop 2.2ghz with 4gb of ram.

I love Vista over XP

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

No problems with drivers on this machine. Have Vista and XP dual boot on this machine and I can't remember the last time I booted XP.

I don't get how it's less intuitive, it's a very similar interface with a much faster search engine so not sure how it was hard finding anything...?

Click the Window Icon (say I'm looking for remote desktop) type in remote into the search bar and within half a second 4 remote apps that I use have come up as well as a dozen emails and a couple of documents.

Searching for a file within the filesystem, I can search all my drives which contains a few hundred thousand files more than my 2nd XP machine and it'll complete it in a fraction of the time.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #19
jed67
mustang 1967

I too have got a new laptop with Vista and yes i too love it.
Much better faster and have found it easy to use.
jed67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #20
la2or
Your Hero

Ive heard with the low powered laptops you should use XP because vista takes up too much space.

i bought a desktop a few months ago and just go XP with it.
la2or is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #21
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
A couple of weeks ago I went and bought a new HP HDX9003TX. Its a 20" note book. It came with vista. I thought that I would give vista a chance. After 3 weeks with the OS I have decided that it is a backward step from XP pro. It seems that the things that you use most are the hardest to find/use. It seems like drivers are non existant.

What have others found??
New dell , eneded up at http://www.linux.org installing mepis
very cool stuff as it works everytime forst time .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #22
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Basically Vista is a result of the fact that you can't have it both ways. Sure drivers and programs from older OSes could be compatible, but if you want something which is more secure than the outgoing model, then you have to draw a line in the sand and say "this is how things will be done from now on" the same goes for the way some settings are accessed and changed.

Microsoft is catering for a huge slice of the market and can't afford some of the luxuries smaller companies have in terms of not supporting legacy devices & formats any longer which is why things end up so big.

In terms of it chewing up too much in the way of resources, well thats a way to make the system more responsive, 1gb of ram as a "minimum" really shouldn't trouble too many people these days, ram is cheap, we're not back in the mid 90's where a few meg would cost you the better part of $1000.

These days it seems that the majority of Microsoft bashing is done because old habits die hard rather than any genuine reason for the angst that seems to flow forth from the masses

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #23
all4ford
XW 351

No problems here with Vista. My computer is custom built and up to standard required by Vista. As to office 2007, I love it, I think it is leaps and bounds ahead of office XP. So easy to use once you know where everything is. Making powerpoint presentations takes around half the time it took in XP.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #24
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

i havnt had vista on my machine in over 6 months now ( i think) and i didnt enjoy my experience. there was almost no drivers. my sound blaster extigy external 5.1 sound card didnt work even on the new drivers so i had no sound, my printer (brother MFC) wouldnt even install using the new drivers. it got part way through the instillation and whne it asked you to plug the printer in it sat there looking at me for hours with no result... xp had it installed within 5 minutes.

i think once drivers are done and upgraded from the current vista versions they will work no problems and vista will be awesome.

it is a shame that it takes up soo much space and ram.

my old machine was a 2.4 P4 with a gig of ram and i ran vista on it and timed it from the second i hit the restart button in windows till it was fully rebooted and back into windows. it took 6 minutes 20 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i done the exact same test a day later on XP (same machine - same hardware/software) and it rebooted in under 30 seconds... 28 to be exact lol

just the physical booting of the system takes longer. wasnt really an issue with me as my machine stayed on 24/7 but when programs froze and needed rebooting it took forever.

im willing to give vista another go but i need to spend 70 bucks on my computer and get 2 gig of ram before ill even consider it again.
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I still play DOS games on XP care of a little thing called "DOSBox" that emulates DOS under Windows XP.

Oh the joys of the old games!
I've been using DosBox for a while.

I play Sierra adventure classics, Pinball Fantasies, Dune II, Star Control II (my fave EVER), Master of Orion...so many more great games.

What do you play?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
luke

I think y'all need to check this out: http://badvista.fsf.org/

My personal problems with Windows Vista go far beyond how it performs and how f*&($^*& slow it is.

Luke.

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #27
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of Vista bashing.. re: the differences in doing things well thats development and I think its just that some of you just don't like change.

I have run XP and Vista on a number of machines.

My old P4 2.4, 512MB RAM booted Vista in about the same time as XP.. so something is seriously wrong with your hardware if it is taking over 6 mins..

In saying that I wouldnt seriously expect it to be able to run well on such an old machine (going on 5 years old now), or expect it to run obsqure software that originally run on Win9x or even older.

Driver issues are a hardware manufacturers problem really, eg. My iMac and MacBook both run Vista perfectly since all drivers were developed properly.

Ideally MS should just cut their losses and start over like Apple did with OS X.. Offer a sandboxed VM mode for compatability with old software if they like but start fresh with the rest of the OS.

Vista isnt that bad no worse than XP IMO.. though it could have been much better.

In saying all that I still much prefer using OSX

Last edited by Perana XR8; 31-10-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #28
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

as stated on the ad's mac put on the programs you will use. with non mac machines you get every program cluttering up your machine...
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #29
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

I remember Bill Gates proclaiming that Microsoft 3.1 was the best OS in the world forever.
If I remember correctly, we had all these similar dealings with going from 98 to XP.
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #30
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Being involved with the beta testing phase, I was very pro Vista for 6 months. But regular niggling crashes and the general slowing effect on my P4 3ghz system forced me back to XP. I purchased a new copy of XP Pro, and reverted a few days ago. Much better system performace now. Ahhhhhhh.

Anyone want to buy a used copy of Vista Ultimate?

P.S. Having run Vista on my machine built for XP, I found most of my games ran slower, particular in high movement scenes. I know that my Geforce 6600GT is ageing, but vista pushes the limits of it, and slows my games.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post