I wish you'd go back there mate.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #62
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: 2015 carsales.com.au Car of the Year winners:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
How do you define a performance car? Is it just straight line speed? Overall power? Handling?

What else is important in a performance car? Looks? Mod cons? Running costs? Convenience/suitability for your lifestyle?

The judges would've scored each performance car (in the up to 100K bracket) in each category, tallied up the totals, then discussed the 'X factor' of the highest scorers and decided on a winner.

They may have found the ST just had 'it', the vibe, the mabo.

Or, they may have found that the ratio of X factor versus cost of purchase (30K) [and running costs] in the little upstart ST was better than those of the cars pushing 100K (in which case a BFYB performance crown would've been more appropriate)
Good on Carsales for rewarding Ford with a gong for successfully targeting the under $100k performance market.

Ford Fiesta ST EcoBoost – the performance car most performance enthusiasts won’t buy.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #63
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
If Falcon is 'just another product', surely then Ford is 'just another product'. Nothing to get excited about then as all cars are just 'products'?

I am a Fairlane aficionado myself but surely it is Falcon that stirred the loins of 99% of Ford fans in OZ including myself? That 'bygone era' is still fresh in the minds of most who's formative years coincided with a time when Falcon was King. Not all of us can easily dismiss hugely exciting times just because they are gone...
No, Ford is not a product, it is a company, a philosophy and an image.
It is people, engineering, performance and innovation.

People can remember those times but must realise the company and it's products move on, progress as technology improves. To dismiss other models or makes because of their inability to see through their bias and realise the car they love is what I reference. What may have been 40 years ago is no longer.

Ford take 3 gongs in the awards and still people complain.

It is a new era for Ford globally and I for one and am looking forward to it.
With a number of world class performance cars available there is something for everyone.

Last edited by Wretched; 14-11-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #64
blackwasp

haha toyota kluger ***** all over a cx5 for under 50k!!
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #65
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
haha toyota kluger ***** all over a cx5 for under 50k!!
If you are looking at large, the Territory, Sorrento and Santa Fe are supposedly better.

Last edited by Brazen; 14-11-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #66
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
How do you define a performance car? Is it just straight line speed? Overall power? Handling?

What else is important in a performance car? Looks? Mod cons? Running costs? Convenience/suitability for your lifestyle?

The judges would've scored each performance car (in the up to 100K bracket) in each category, tallied up the totals, then discussed the 'X factor' of the highest scorers and decided on a winner.

They may have found the ST just had 'it', the vibe, the mabo.

Or, they may have found that the ratio of X factor versus cost of purchase (30K) [and running costs] in the little upstart ST was better than those of the cars pushing 100K (in which case a BFYB performance crown would've been more appropriate)
My point is a fiesta is a sports car at best not a performance car, let alone a car worthy of a title such as best performance car up to 100k...
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #67
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Nothing wrong with the 70's. At least then men drove real cars, only women drove small cars and hatches, we had strong local industry, being gay was a criminal offence and we weren't overrun and dictated to by politically correct decaf soy latte sipping pansies. I would gladly go back there if I could
Surely you're not being serious...

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #68
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
My point is a fiesta is a sports car at best not a performance car, let alone a car worthy of a title such as best performance car up to 100k...
Fair enough. There is a lot of overlap between what's considered to be a Performance car or a Sports car.

At one extreme something with massive horsepower that blitzes the quarter mile, at the other something small and nimble with little or no emphasis on horsepower.

For me, hot hatches like the ST sit in the grey area between the two extremes, but leaning towards performance.

1. Extreme HP straight Line
2. Extreme HP but turns and stops well
3. Turns and stops well with pace (Fiesta ST)
4. Turns and stops well with little or no emphasis on HP

What also sways my opinion is the fact that cars I followed heavily in my younger years (XR and SS mid 90s through early 00s) weren't much faster (if at all) in a straight line than an ST is now.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #69
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
The Falcon (and Terrirory) were still selling in relatively high numbers up until few years ago, so to say that they were only relevant 40 years ago is short sighted and quite frankly idiotic. It was Ford's deliberate neglect and sabotage of the Falcon which eventually got it to where it is now.

If this 'progress' and 'new philosophy' that you continually waffle about is so great, where has is it got them so far and where will it get them in the future? All I have seen is a consistent downward spiral in the sales charts despite a wave of new models being released. Once Falcon and Territory are gone that's another 1500 sales they will have to somehow find. The reputation of their small and medium cars has been permanently tarnished due to the powershift issues and are easily overlooked in a market saturated with choice...Everest is overpriced....Mustang is niche at best. I have seen nothing from them yet that will even get close to filling the void.
From my observations, the Falcon is what kept many people interested in the Ford brand. Without it, Ford becomes an irrelevant company to them.

I am predicting that Ford will fall out of the top 10 manufactures by the end of this decade. So much for progress.
There in lies the issue, not looking at the bigger picture. Ford is GLOBAL not local. They are in a better position than they were 10 years ago.
Local ,manufacturing is finished, a number of factors sealed that years ago.

The transition from a few locally manufactured vehicles to a full importation will take some time but they have the products and will maintain momentum.
Your assessments seem to be pretty negative and without any basis of fact. Be interesting to see in 12 - 24 months whether you are right.
Old 15-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #70
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tempted..that applies to Australia not rest of the world..Must be an Aussie thing!!! Sales in America and Europe are great.!! Go to my Ford dealers Face Book page..Tropical Ford and see their sales..If it wasnt for Mitsi, Isuzu they would be out of business...minimal sales of any Ford..sad...
Old 15-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #71
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford brings over the next generation Ford Taurus I can see a future for them. The thing with Ford is they're no longer after sales numbers (sounds crazy, but hear me out), there after efficient sales. Ford's trying it's hardest to make a few car models running on similar platforms and a set few engines. This cuts operating costs for them, so even if they make less sales, the lower costs offsets this and they make more profit.

On the other hand GM is a pure brute. They just want sales. The more, the better. That's why Holden is in such good shape as an importer, they simply have a plethora of cars they can try import. GM is the worlds largest manufacturer by sales and they have literally a car for every person. Just wait till GM starts throwing Caddilacs, Opels and Chevy's our way. Rebadged to Holdens, tuned for Australian conditions, not necessarily commodore price but still reasonable. They're goal of most sales in Aus by 2020 is somewhat possible. Plus, Holden is keeping HSV alive because there's a lot of cars they can play with to please the niche market they currently serve.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #72
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
So no substance behind the comment then.
May be they should have another award for fordforums.com.au members where Falcon wins everything and it is the only competitor.

Yeah and your the first to mention the falcon strange
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #73
WOLF
Track Red XY

The FIST is awesome, took one for a drive and couldn't wipe the smile off my face, so immediately bought one for the wife. For under 26k you can't have more fun really. Fantastic features too.
These go carts are no joke, I understand they are pulling 21+psi stock and so light/ balanced. Barely any room for tuning they are so maxed out. I hated small cars before this, these things will embarrass allot of big dollar cars at the lights & through twisties :-)
Desperately need a decent exhaust though so quiet outside, but the note in the cabin is nice
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #74
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF View Post
The FIST is awesome, took one for a drive and couldn't wipe the smile off my face, so immediately bought one for the wife. For under 26k you can't have more fun really. Fantastic features too.
These go carts are no joke, I understand they are pulling 21+psi stock and so light/ balanced. Barely any room for tuning they are so maxed out. I hated small cars before this, these things will embarrass allot of big dollar cars at the lights & through twisties :-)
Desperately need a decent exhaust though so quiet outside, but the note in the cabin is nice
Agreed. So why there is no performance car <$50k when there are for other categories?

Or what if Carsales just made thart call, and lightly justified, to get a reaction like here to get some more hits on the site.

The FiST is not better than a RS3/WRX Sti etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #75
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Golf as a family car, I'd consider it for local commutes in wagon form having little kids, for sure. Most choose a small/medium SUV though. Would not enjoy a snow trip with teenagers and full snowboards in a Golf hatch though. We simply have too much gear.

Tesla, I'm with Zilo on this, it's the big disruptive influence this year. Didn't think about them much until I saw those 'insane' mode vids, then realised in about 2 minutes that this is the future. Makes almost any car (and buying a new one) redundant until affordable electric is here.

Fiesta ST, I can see where the guys were going with it, but there is a lot of choice and very good models (hot hatches included) under 100K. Considering I often have to punt down the GOR for work, I really should convert to this SmallFordism and enjoy the corners more...

This is what I picture when the thought crosses my mind, apologies not a Ford but stunning footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKx7rJAGw_o
Old 18-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #76
Sioso
irregular member

DAMN FAST!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yU0-fmspFY
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #77
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Golf as a family car, I'd consider it for local commutes in wagon form having little kids, for sure. Most choose a small/medium SUV though. Would not enjoy a snow trip with teenagers and full snowboards in a Golf hatch though. We simply have too much gear.

Tesla, I'm with Zilo on this, it's the big disruptive influence this year. Didn't think about them much until I saw those 'insane' mode vids, then realised in about 2 minutes that this is the future. Makes almost any car (and buying a new one) redundant until affordable electric is here.

Fiesta ST, I can see where the guys were going with it, but there is a lot of choice and very good models (hot hatches included) under 100K. Considering I often have to punt down the GOR for work, I really should convert to this SmallFordism and enjoy the corners more...

This is what I picture when the thought crosses my mind, apologies not a Ford but stunning footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKx7rJAGw_o
yep that video looks like a bit of fun , but i think its not the car you need but the venue to drive in conditions like that , you can have fun in anything if you have the right conditions.
i could have a ball in my tanky old lexus in the same conditions, 30 odd years ago some mates and myself stumbled upon a clay pan out in the country north of melbourne , we had a ball taking it in turns drifting a v8 ht holden premiere in and out of the trees.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #78
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
i think the novelty would wear off quickly mate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #79
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post

[QUOTE=buggerlugs]

And absolutely zero character and personality...

Not for everyone.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #80
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
yep that video looks like a bit of fun , but i think its not the car you need but the venue to drive in conditions like that , you can have fun in anything if you have the right conditions.
i could have a ball in my tanky old lexus in the same conditions, 30 odd years ago some mates and myself stumbled upon a clay pan out in the country north of melbourne , we had a ball taking it in turns drifting a v8 ht holden premiere in and out of the trees.

I hear ya Mik, long ago I kept an old Valiant coupe (bought for $800) our on the in-laws family farm, when back there was 10,000 acres of dirt tracks to have fun in. Snow would be something different, there's quite a few fun vids of everything drifting, even the old 90's 4wd Corolla wagons. Then the odd one of Canadians towing their mates down the street on snowboards...
Old 22-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #81
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see ford get a couple cars on the list. Shame there's no locally made ford on the list, but I guess it won't matter soon enough. But well done ford.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #82
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

These car ratings are more comedy for me than anything. Seriously who actually rates them lol. Must smell of latte.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #83
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Yep. Last time I checked, Carsales was a classifieds website where people advertise their cars for sale. Since when did they become any sort of authority on motoring to be able to judge and hand out awards? Nothing more than a publicity stunt I'd say.

Don't see your point....

How many new Tesla model S advertised there?

Not a single one.

How many used advertised there ?.....not one

So why would they seek publicity for the car?

Not like the world goes and looks at carsales for a Tesla now is it?

New ones are sold directly..

Used ones will be sold by my distant cousin Lorbek....they have the agreement.

You will prolly never see one on carsales.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post