Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #61
John_LS1

i think it all depends on the application really. for really high horsepower (as much as i hate to say it) the cleveland has proved to be better! but im a fan of the windsor, lighter and more economical to run for everyday use, even in worked form and it sounds better! unlike the cleveland which may as well have a bucket as a carby and sounds like a big vacume cleaner.... :\

oh and whoever said 250 2V's were good, ive never laughed so hard!!!!

Last edited by John_LS1; 25-01-2005 at 05:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #62
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
unlike the cleveland which may as well have a bucket as a carby and sounds like a big vacume cleaner.... :\
I thought it was generally agreed that Clevelands are one of, if not the best sounding engine in Aussie cars?

Hell...there is even a thread on Clevo sounds in both this FF and the other one..
Old 25-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #63
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
I thought it was generally agreed that Clevelands are one of, if not the best sounding engine in Aussie cars?

Hell...there is even a thread on Clevo sounds in both this FF and the other one..
well not to my ears they are....and i did say im a fan of the windsor, maybe that persuaded my response....anywho i think your better off getting what you like not what others prefer or generally agree too!

Last edited by John_LS1; 25-01-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #64
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
for really high horsepower (as much as i hate to say it) the cleveland has proved to be better!
I won't let you forget you said that for the rest of your life! MWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #65
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Mmm. We should learn to read and interperet things correctly now shouldn't we? I said that I had heard that they were a superior design to Cleveland heads, but also said that I hadn't looked into the matter enough to be able to comment.

There is no need to be abusive.
Comming from you this is a fricken laugh.
Gammaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #66
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Comming from you this is a fricken laugh.
I may say things others do not agree with, but I am not (or if ever, very rarely) abusive. There's a difference.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #67
Gammaboy

Quote:
unlike the cleveland which may as well have a bucket as a carby and sounds like a big vacume cleaner.... :\
I'd drive a vacuum cleaner to work if it sounded like my Clevo....
Gammaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #68
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
....even in worked form and it sounds better! unlike the cleveland which may as well have a bucket as a carby and sounds like a big vacume cleaner.... :\

You don't happen to be tone deaf do you? :Reverend: I hate to sound biased, but Clevos sounds an assload better than Winsors!!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #69
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
You don't happen to be tone deaf do you? :Reverend: I hate to sound biased, but Clevos sounds an assload better than Winsors!!
I have to agree Mike,
I am yet to hear any Windsor or new gen 5.4 that "sounds" better on the street than my clevo with big cam and twin 3" mandrel exhaust.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 25-01-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 10:23 PM   #70
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
i think it all depends on the application really. for really high horsepower (as much as i hate to say it) the cleveland has proved to be better! but im a fan of the windsor, lighter and more economical to run for everyday use, even in worked form and it sounds better! unlike the cleveland which may as well have a bucket as a carby and sounds like a big vacume cleaner.... :\

Your post had me in stiches mate. Windors sound better than a clevo? 250 2v's aren't good?

You go get the best sounding windsor you can find and i'll find a clevo that will make it sound like a stock lancer with a fart cannon. I know of a 320 fwhp 250 2v.... and eats 265 hemi's for breakfast.... wouldn't even bother wasting the fuel hosing an e-series car! You need to get out more buddy! :monkes:
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #71
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i will hear the sound of my 428 tomorrow as i have finished the twin stainless system , hope it sounds better than a 253 holden, thats the worst ever sounding V8 in the world.
Old 26-01-2005, 01:43 AM   #72
John_LS1

LMAO!!! i love stiring people..... go the windsor!!!!

but i am serious about this, 250 2V's are :

your mate with this 320 fwhp is about all hes going to get out of it. (in N/A form) and who mentioned E-series cars??? just cause i drive one doesnt mean im comparing it to them!!!

Last edited by John_LS1; 26-01-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 26-01-2005, 02:06 AM   #73
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
LMAO!!! i love stiring people..... go the windsor!!!!

but i am serious about this, 250 2V's are :

your mate with this 320 fwhp is about all hes going to get out of it. (in N/A form) and who mentioned E-series cars??? just cause i drive one doesnt mean im comparing it to them!!!
Surely if your paying out on the 250 2v's then you should be able to show one NA I6 ford engine that can beat it?

I'd love to have that engine still around today but its no longer 'in the family'. There is still plenty of them around though. What exactly are your reasons for bagging them so much?
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 02:13 AM   #74
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Strange how you needed all these people to justify why a clevo was/isnt better than a windsor.
Couldnt make your own mind up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 02:19 AM   #75
John_LS1

nah your taking it the wrong way, im not saying they dont pull good power figures but you are kind of limited with them ie in performance, aftermarket support, availability etc. but this is compared to V8 which is what this thread is about...anyway thats all im saying in this thread. it all comes down to what you want not what others want. if your cleveland rapes the **** of a windsor then good for you! well done!
Old 26-01-2005, 02:23 AM   #76
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

There is a shite load more aftermarket goodies for us windsor owners than there is clevo's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 02:36 AM   #77
InitialD
Low and Loud

After having clevo's I must say there are ALOT more Winsor aftermarket goodies at better prices as they seem to be in demand then the Clevo stuff.

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 03:11 AM   #78
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

That is because the Windsor needs more aftermarket goodies.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 03:15 AM   #79
NeoLokie

QUOTE=John_xr6..snip... im not saying they dont pull good power figures but you are kind of limited with them ie in performance, aftermarket support, availability etc. ..snip....

ok..what can't you get? I can get good bearings good pistons good rods, head work is head work regardless. Can't get alloy blocks, but then you're normal joe isn't likely to either, can't get alloy heads, I'll give you that.

Apart from all that, 2v 250's were flogging 302's of the time, and I've since flogged many things, and scared many others and mine was only very very mild. They're lighter, more efficient, and rev like a bastard if you build 'em right.

Last edited by NeoLokie; 26-01-2005 at 03:16 AM.
NeoLokie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 03:18 AM   #80
NeoLokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
After having clevo's I must say there are ALOT more Winsor aftermarket goodies at better prices as they seem to be in demand then the Clevo stuff.
how much of that is because they rejuvinated the windsor in the eb? If it wasn't for that and that they were using them in the states (probably more the states influence than our little falcon actually) would there be as much?

if they're selling 10 000 a year of course theres going to be more.
NeoLokie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 03:27 AM   #81
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cleveland alloy blocks aren't that far off ;)

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 03:34 AM   #82
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoLokie
QUOTE=John_xr6..snip... im not saying they dont pull good power figures but you are kind of limited with them ie in performance, aftermarket support, availability etc. ..snip....

ok..what can't you get? I can get good bearings good pistons good rods, head work is head work regardless. Can't get alloy blocks, but then you're normal joe isn't likely to either, can't get alloy heads, I'll give you that.

Apart from all that, 2v 250's were flogging 302's of the time, and I've since flogged many things, and scared many others and mine was only very very mild. They're lighter, more efficient, and rev like a bastard if you build 'em right.
OK this is my final word, i didnt say there was NO aftermarket support for them, read my post properly. there is a lack of but! also most common motors you can get good bearings, pistons, rods etc, so i dont see your point there??? im talking about bolt on accesorys to ie inlet manifolds, extractors, dizzys etc. there is also alot more brands and types to chose from where as your limited with the 250 2V.
Old 26-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #83
The Mighty Red

Quote:

What are you comparing the 2V head to, must be a set of keith Black Top fuel heads.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about.The 250 2V was a great head for its day. A 2V with triple webbers would blow away any Xu1 and sit door handle to door handle with any 6pack charger. You have obviously never been in a falcon or cortina that had a modified 2V in it.
I had one and it would take out a lot heavier metal than a 302.

But for someone who thinks a Cleveland sounds like a vacuum cleaner I shouldn't really expect to much
Old 25-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #84
Phantom17
clevo boat nut

When are they going to make a nice tough and affordable alloy block for a clevo?
Imagine that lightweight, superstrong, nice stroker kit and alloy heads.......oh well i can feel the ultimate powerplant coming up...........please hurry
Kick them chevs *****!
Phantom17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #85
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Winsor all the way for me. They are small and light and can be made to breath okay.

The Clevos are nice (but heavy) and sound fan-bloody-tastic.

p.s. Alloy block Clevo sounds like a good idea.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #86
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Wheezers are like this thread; they only just caught up the Clevos.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #87
Gammaboy

Old 25-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #88
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom17
When are they going to make a nice tough and affordable alloy block for a clevo?
That all depends on what you class as affordable.

Last edited by xbgs351; 25-02-2006 at 08:54 PM.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #89
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I have to agree Mike,
I am yet to hear any Windsor or new gen 5.4 that "sounds" better on the street than my clevo with big cam and twin 3" mandrel exhaust.

you havnt heard my WINDSOR has a little power and a bucket load of torque
A nice set of custom pipes and 3" twin system into an x pipe then mufflers all exiting out the side SWEET AS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #90
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
even in worked form and it sounds better! unlike the cleveland which may as well have a bucket as a carby and sounds like a big vacume cleaner.... :\
I happen to like the sound of my "vacuum cleaner".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34718&q=winton
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post