Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
jagga
ef xr8,,, pacies

Default mining info

hi guys ive been wanting to get in to the mining side of things for quite some time now.
however the issue is i have no experience.
if anyone out there has any helpful hints or contacts that would be awsome.

cheeers. jagga

jagga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Most minesites , working as a ta, you will need a forklift ticket to get yourself in the door. Some require a marcsta induction etc.
Try employment agencies located in the vacinity of the mines mate....
Theres ALOT of work and good coin in wa right now also
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
cowboy
Cowboy

I had the same problem when I went mining, hard to get a start. Easiest way in is offsiding on a drill rig. Hot dirty work but it will get you some experience. Most impotant thing is location, get yourself over to WA. Very few mobs will employ you over the phone when you're in SA, land on their doorstep and it's a different story. I'm living in Kalgoorlie at the moment and there is so much work here it's scary. If you want any more info fee free to PM me and I'll give you some companies to call. Also, what do you do now, skills, age etc?
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagga
hi guys ive been wanting to get in to the mining side of things for quite some time now.
however the issue is i have no experience.
if anyone out there has any helpful hints or contacts that would be awsome.

cheeers. jagga

Jagga

Get your senior first aid ticket for starters and also the marcsta ticket. If you want to drive machines ( Trucks Loaders ) do one of those basic coarses that should be in your city this also helps as you will have a ticket to operate the machines.

Go into places like Skilled Engineering and talk to them about getting started on the mine sites or other skilled hiring companies they are all in the yellow pages mate and tell them what you want to do and they should be able to point you in the right direction for some basic training and that will make it easier to get in.

WA also flys people in and out of SA 2 weeks on 1 week off as there is a huge shortage of mine workers so it's still possible to live in SA and work in WA lots of people do it so get on the blower and ring around or call into the recruiting agents.

The work is there mate just don't give up keep ringing around it could take weeks or months but keep ringing and in the end they will give you a job as they know your keen as you keep ringing them up.

Working on surface drilling rigs is crap work mate keep away from it if you can i know i'm a diesel fitter and have been there done that you couldn't pay me enough to go back to the surface rigs underground is heaps better IMO.

Good luck and don't give up

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I was talking to the head of the University of SA's mining dept a few months ago and he told me that there will be atleast 5000 new jobs in SA in the mining industry very soon.
Roxbys Olympic Dam underground is being opened up and word has it they will need atleast that many just on the job never mind the workforce required to service the project.
He was talking everything from dump drivers and people in the hole to electricians, catering, engineering and the list goes on.
There is talk that they will require another 100 dumpers to move the soil out of the hole just to get to the good stuff.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post