Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
hambo_12
Iz German, Iz Gooood...

Default How old were you when you moved out of home?

I just bought a BFII XR8 ute, and couldnt help thinking on the way to pick it up "why the hell am I doing this? Why arent I smart and buy a house instead?" :togo:

Im 23, and starting to think I should have definately bought a house instead of buying a new ute (even though I love it). I have talked to the olds about this, and they said I should enjoy this ute before commiting to buying a house...

I guess im asking, is 23 too old to still be at home? How old were you when you moved out?

Old 17-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'm 24 now and mid jan I'll be moving into the house I just bought. I fell into the same situation as you where I nearly bought a new BF XR6T. But I thought it would prob be smarter to just buy a house.

The only thing I could suggest is make sure you get as big a deposit as you can, it makes buying a house sooooo much easier if you have at least 10% of the deposit.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Addz08
"FEED IT"

I,ll get flamed for this I,m sure, but I,m 26 and still at home.. *bows head in shame* hehe..
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Im 22 and I moved out when I was 19. Ill be buying a house within the next 6 months, oh and a ute.
Old 17-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Im starting to think I should have bought a house instead of my car. $40k gone like that in just over a year and a bit. All cash too! :

But mum said that I should enjoy being young and having a nice car. I'm 21 now so hopefully when I get a normal full time job I'll be out in a year or so. I'm pretty good at saving.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
hambo_12
Iz German, Iz Gooood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yeah Im starting to think I should have bought a house instead of my car. $40k gone like that in just over a year and a bit. All cash too! :

But mum said that I should enjoy being young and having a nice car. I'm 21 now so hopefully when I get a normal full time job I'll be out in a year or so. I'm pretty good at saving.
Yeah I hear ya. I think the best thing for me to do now is not to start saving for a home deposit, rather focus all my available funds on paying off as much of the car loan as possible... With my current situation I should be able to take a major chunk out of it by this time next year...
Old 17-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Yeah I hear ya. I think the best thing for me to do now is not to start saving for a home deposit, rather focus all my available funds on paying off as much of the car loan as possible... With my current situation I should be able to take a major chunk out of it by this time next year...
Yeah I didn't get a loan out so I'm going alright with the saving. Should be easy as when I get a steady income
Old 17-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I moved out @ 17yrs old, only ever have rented. But will be getting married early next year. Once thats all done and dusted we are going to buy our house soon after hopefully. Im 24 now.

I glad I moved out and have never looked back! My olds charged me as much as rent anyways to stay @ home, plus I had too many rules !!! haha

Mostly the reson why we havent bought in the last 2 years is that not sure where we want to live. If im jumping into a few k debt for 20years We hope its going to be somewhere were happy 1st!
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Im 22 living at home and looking at buying a house next year, have just bought my dream car (T3 TE50). Its one thing to be sensible and invest in property early, but you still need to have your fun I reckon!

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
I glad I moved out and have never looked back! My olds charged me as much as rent anyways to stay @ home, plus I had too many rules !!! haha
I only have to pay $50 and can do whatever I want :

It's going up to $100 but still the cheapest around
Old 17-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

26. After I finish building the house. (took almost 2 years from start to finish - damn housing boom!)
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

moved out on my 18th b'day... got my licence and was gone. 20 now, not even close to thinking about a house or fmaily

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought my house at 21 and I Bought an 02 BA earlier this year.

Best of both worlds, decent car and a house. I Can't afford my dream car, but my ZA comes close!

I am 24 now.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I only have to pay $50 and can do whatever I want :

It's going up to $100 but still the cheapest around

Well unless you pay nothing and can do what you want!! :
Old 17-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was 18 when I moved out of home 32 years ago

Married at 20yo in 1977, first child in 1980, bought first house in 1981, so I was 24. Still married, but have another house since, moved from the original house to this one is 1995.

My tip, buy what you can afford, stay within your budget, and always budget using one income.

You will not have a 35sq home or 5 TV's and 6 DVD's or a BF GT-P, but you will be setting yourself up for life.
Old 17-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
Cam
Stroking it...

moved out when i was 16, mum always moved around with work and i wanted a stable job. Made it hard trying to make ends meet on $300 a week, but was a very quick introduction to the real world!
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #17
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I left at 15. Old man decided to run from the debt collectors, headed way out west to escape.
I moved in with a mate and finished Year 9. Then went to Emerald for half of Year 10. Completed the rest of Year 10 via Distance Education while out west... Dad had a massive drinking problem, so I left for Roma to do Year 11.

That was over 5 years ago now, and he's finally admitted he had a problem and is getting the help he needs.

Moving out was the best decision I ever made, even though I didn't really have much say in the matter.

Cheers

Darran
Old 17-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #18
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I moved out when I was 19, and now I'm 22, and have been renting for all that time. Living at home was great, did whatever I wanted, home cooked dinner everyday and no board :, but I got sick of travelling 80km one way just to go to uni. That being said, I dont think I could move back home, love living in the city, the diversity of people and of course, King and Brunswick st on the friday and saturday nights!!

Hopefully when I finish my double degree next year, I can make some better cash then what I make at good ol safeway and look to buy a home and car.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Moved out at 25 and have been renting since. I didn't buy an expensive car until 27 (I'm now 28, almost 29) but have been paying off car loans since I was about 22, even though they were only small loans.

I don't earn anywhere near enough money to buy a house although I make a decent income. Might start thinking about it after I've payed off the BA in about 18 months, but being single I can't afford much. Plus I lose 10% of my income before I even see it, bloody HECS.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #20
hambo_12
Iz German, Iz Gooood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Plus I lose 10% of my income before I even see it, bloody HECS.
Im very lucky in that regard. My employer pays for my uni course. Thats also another thing that is keeping me from buying a house. Will I want to stay where I am after I finish my uni course in a year and a bit? Makes me think I should start renting until I decide what to do...
Old 17-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Im very lucky in that regard. My employer pays for my uni course. Thats also another thing that is keeping me from buying a house. Will I want to stay where I am after I finish my uni course in a year and a bit? Makes me think I should start renting until I decide what to do...

Remember when you buy a house, the loan isn't for a few years. At least now you do have employment. The fact that you will be able to change jobs is a bonus. Unless you wanna move to a different state, then that will cause a problem.
Old 17-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #22
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just turned 20 yesterday, and still living at home.

I am in a house i love with family i love, looked after very well. Always food on the table. I get to go outside and have basically a full workshop on tap where i can use all my fathers tools, plus when stuck have his many years of experience to help me. Weather im at uni or working im always welcome here at home with minimal but bareable rules.

Plenty of my own space too so i can save to one day have the money and education where i will be set for life. (well thats the plan)

Many of my friends have moved out of home early and regreted it. They just saw freedom and were out..

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
The Monty
Just slidin'

Moved out at 19, back in near my 21st. My step dad of 16 years left and left mum renting at $320 a week, with all the bills. She had no hope of paying it all, so I jumped in and Im still here now, at 22, but its worth it, seeingmum happy to be able to afford having fun.
Old 17-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I moved out when I was 20, but kinda got kicked out the same time. Moved into a granny flat of a friends for $55 a week. Wasnt much, but it had running water and a bathroom, and GF now wife lived down the road at the time within walking distance.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #25
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

At 15, parents had long split, and I did not not get on with the "Steps". So I moved in with 2 mates. 3 under 17 in a flat, bad mix.... LOL But it sure opened my eyes to the real world, and I reckon it worked out well. Joined the workforce at the same age, having been given 2 options by the Headmaster. Option 1, leave school and get a job. Option 2, he would help me to leave school.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #26
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I'm 18 and moved out at 17 with a broken Laser and not a cent to my name.

I'm renting and it was a struggle for the first year but then my missus started working and then a mate moved up.

I couldn't live without dual incomes so I don't know where the Aussie dream of a house and kids comes into play.

My parents tell me to get a house etc. but I plan on enjoying myself. They had kids early and bought a house and only now at 50 have a good car.

I think I will blow my money instead
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #27
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I'm 23 and still at home.

I ave been doing a bit of work on getting a house, lots of looking, working on my pre-approval at the moment.

Hopefully I'll havbe something just after i turn 24 ( May 08).

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #28
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First time i left home i was 21 and only moved in with the girlfriend at the time as she clashed with her parents and sibling. Lasted less than a year, relationship too!
Second time i was 24 had the superbird , XB GT and a ski-boat, (worked from 16).
Wife and i rented for 3years whilst saving for a deposit, sold the coupes and boat to buy our first home in 1990.
17 years on and a lot of hard work by both of us, and we have 2 houses, another coupe, her XR8 and a few other luxuries.
The eldest daughter has left and has returned after 6mths, the youngest turned 18 yesterday. We don't make them pay board but they have their share of housekeeping etc. As far as i'm concerned they can stay as long as they want as it is piece of mind that they are under our wings. (getting soft in my old age)
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Pinkbits - There's nothing wrong with having kids at home for a while if it helps them out. I know thats what my parents would do for me, just until I got back on my feet.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

I moved out when I was 21. I had to sell an XB GT to rake up my deposit on a 2 bedroom unit.

I miss the GT, not the unit.

The GT was the last manual XB GT built in 1976. Beautiful Walnut Glow, silver paintouts, white interior black inserts... : WAHHHHHHHH!!!!