Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
fezi
Starter Motor

Default Dealer price/markup?

Howdy all,
I'm looking at updating my old ute. Going to be getting a 05/06 xr6t ute. Now I've been looking about a bit and due to be a complete slackarse I'm more than likely going to buy off a dealer so I dont go through the pain of selling my ute.
Now most xr6t utes with dealers are listed around the 32-35k mark. Realistically what would I expect to drop off that price? I've been thinking high 20's should cover it? Is it ball park or am I dreaming?

fezi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Kryton

low to mid 20s you might get for your car as a trade in.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

Do you mean with a trade in for your current ute (So you don't have to sell it) or just a general price to haggle em' down to?

If its just a general haggle down price, then i would expect yeh high 20s. $3000-$4000 off i think is acceptable. When i bought my XR6T 7 months ago the dealer was asking $34,999..I paid $30,000!

However, if it is with the trade in of your current ute..that depends on the year/make/model of your ute and the condition!

Best of luck!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's been my experience that they talk about a change over price, not so much what you'll get or what they want for their car but what you are prepared to pay as a change over price.
Because if you want more for a trade then they're less likely to take some off their end, this way by doing a change over price supposedly everyones happy, I say supposedly.
You can bet no matter which way you go you'll get screwed.
Go thru the pain of selling privately then get a ton more for yours and then try and buy the new one for cash if you can, especially at the end of the month.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
fezi
Starter Motor

I basically mean the haggled price. ie 34ish down to 29ishor whatever it may be. Obviously changeover will be less once the trade in is included. Trade in is a 02 hilux. my guess for the trade in will be 5k tops.
fezi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Shrude
'74 Landau Apollo Blue.

You' will get a better dollar selling your ute privately.

You will get a better deal with cash.
Shrude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
You can bet no matter which way you go you'll get screwed.
Go thru the pain of selling privately then get a ton more for yours and then try and buy the new one for cash if you can, especially at the end of the month.
I don't see how you'd be "screwed". If the buyer is happy with the price offered then that is a fair deal I would guess?

Buying "cash" doesn't work either. As long as the car is payed for. In fact financing the car through the dealer could possibly get you an even better deal.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I don't see how you'd be "screwed". If the buyer is happy with the price offered then that is a fair deal I would guess?

Buying "cash" doesn't work either. As long as the car is payed for. In fact financing the car through the dealer could possibly get you an even better deal.
The buyer may be happy but if he later finds he paid to much, then he'll be less than happy. I suppose this is where the trade in can cloud the issue enough to make a person feel he has gotten a good deal, even when he may not have.

If you purchase a car without the trade in you can get a better feel for the deal you are getting.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
RATT
In a Pug..

Fair enough but by that rule you'd never be happy. Hindsight can cloud your vision I say!
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Fair enough but by that rule you'd never be happy. Hindsight can cloud your vision I say!
That's why I avoid places like Harvey Norman for 3 months after I've bought a new tv;)