Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
no1else
Starter Motor

Default Help and advice please!

Hey guys and Gals,

I have narrowed my next car list to two cars the first being a BAMK2/Bf XR6 Turbo and the second a AU3 XR8. I have thought about these cars for ages and really cant decide i realise the xr6 would be quicker but it would also be more expensive for me to own and run.

Im 18 and earing about 650 net per week, so i will be able to afford to own the car, the advice im after is what would you do in my situation. Is the AU alot slower than the BA or is it pretty lineball?

Thanks guys any help and advice would be really appreciated becuse i really cant decide im in SA if that makes any diffrence aswell.

Thankyou

no1else is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Thats good money for 18... well done there alone.

The turbo can be modded for me speed cheaper than the V8, the B-series has alot of aftermarket mods now and you can still get alot of new parts from Ford... the A-Series has these drawbacks... but more cheaper parts from wreckers...

If i was you and have a full licence, i'd go the turbo.

BTW, check your licence situation in SA... it may not let you drive either on P's...
Old 20-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Like BLUEPRINT mentioned, check the legality of driving them on your Ps in your situation.

I would say the Turbo would be a bit quicker, probably not much to legal speeds, but the AUIII would also be a nice ride. Only way to find out is to drive them both and see which you prefer (and I dont mean drive each as quick as you can lol)

A turbo will ultimately become more powerful cheaper, just turn up the boost. But that will shorten engine life of course. Plus I would hate to see the insurance premium.

There is an extremely large aftermarket for the windsor so mod choices will be wide and plentiful. But ultimately you won't make modded XR6T power without forced induction. You will have that awsome V8 sound though. Once again I would hate to see the insurance premium.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #4
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Get the AU... manual! Its fast but not faster, but how fast do you really want to go? Speed is not important when you have the opportunity to own one of the best sounding eights. Make sure its black! Good luck, drive safely and don't stack it!
Old 20-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Bf XR6 Turbo with ZF 6 speed !
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If it's your first car, I'd go the 8. How many of us wanted one, but went the reasonable and rational choice of a 6, or even 4? LOL!

There's a lot of value to be had in AU V8s, you could get yourself a ripper one with leather, sunroof and manual.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
no1else
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice guys, i must say the AU is growing on me the more i see them the more im starting to fall in love with there looks.

I must say though i think i would prefer to drive the BA becuase it would be newer and also have a bit more go, as of the current time iam still in a bit of a limbo.

Im off to test drive on tuesday so that will decide it for me.

Thanks again guys and any more advice would be appreciated.
Old 20-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
3vXT

Can a P plater drive a V8 or turbo in SA?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
no1else
Starter Motor

Opps sorry guys yea a P plater in SA has no power restrictions
Old 20-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
no1else
Starter Motor

and also no Aspiration limits