Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
punkin
having time of her life!

Default why driving courses are a GOOD thing

Just after New Years we (F6Tornado, step-son & myself) were driving home from northern NSW heading back to Brisbane. We were in my xmas pressie (63 Chevy Impala - left hand drive) and I was driving, it was about 10:30pm, weather was pretty ikky, we'd been having rain on and off the whole way since we crossed the border.

Cruising along at just under 70mph (I was in a 110km zone), we had the wheel studs shear off the rear driver (left hand side) tyre.

We were in the far left hand lane. I heard the bang as they all sheared off, felt the car go (she weighs over 2 tonne) and instinct cut in. When I got her stopped we were across 3 lanes of traffic (with 4 lanes of lights heading towards the side of the car). F6Tornado got her into park to re-start her - I couldn't get her to re-start in neutral, to get her off the road and along the side of the median strip. So basically I crossed 4 lanes of traffic (at night & in intermittent weather). F6Tornado measured the skid while waiting for the tow truck - from when the wheel let go to when I stopped the car it was just under 50m diagonally across the 4 lanes of traffic.

Not a mark to the outside of the car, a bit of damage inside the mags (no damage to the rubber) & a bit of minor damage under the car. No other cars were damaged (or involved), though a few that learnt all about their ABS.

Not a scratch on any of us, just a bit of shock - F6Tornado's step-son was buckled in and asleep in the back when it happened, he woke up when I got the car stopped.

When we purchased our last 2 FPVs (Tornados), I went to the drive day (we had a BA & a BF). If it wasn't for these two days of driving (first day was totally without traction control as the BA didn't have it), then I probably wouldn't be here to tell you about it all.

Steve @ RDP said that what I did was the right thing (I've got no idea what I did, that is a total blank, which I'm told is a good thing because I acted on pure instinct), that most people would have slammed on the brakes and that would have rolled the car and we wouldn't have walked away. He also now knows of 3 people who have had this happen to them (himself & me being two of them). I believe if we'd been in any of our modern cars, then we wouldn't have walked away either.

Thing was, nobody stopped to see if we were ok, including the boys in blue - 4 cars and 2 bikes went past. The only people who stopped were friends of ours, who drive a Chevy BellAire, and that was about 30 mins after the incident, we'd already called the tow truck by this stage. They drove me home so I could pick up our FPV to go meet hubby when he got up to RDP.

If you all do nothing for yourselves this year, go and do a defensive driving day, one that you actually do theory and practical.

1963 Chev Impala | Black | 2 door : <- Angel
Mazda 2 | Turbo (custom) | Spicy Orange <- punkin
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin
Just after New Years we (F6Tornado, step-son & myself) were driving home from northern NSW heading back to Brisbane. We were in my xmas pressie (63 Chevy Impala - left hand drive) and I was driving, it was about 10:30pm, weather was pretty ikky, we'd been having rain on and off the whole way since we crossed the border.

Cruising along at just under 70mph (I was in a 110km zone), we had the wheel studs shear off the rear driver (left hand side) tyre.

We were in the far left hand lane. I heard the bang as they all sheared off, felt the car go (she weighs over 2 tonne) and instinct cut in. When I got her stopped we were across 3 lanes of traffic (with 4 lanes of lights heading towards the side of the car). F6Tornado got her into park to re-start her - I couldn't get her to re-start in neutral, to get her off the road and along the side of the median strip. So basically I crossed 4 lanes of traffic (at night & in intermittent weather). F6Tornado measured the skid while waiting for the tow truck - from when the wheel let go to when I stopped the car it was just under 50m diagonally across the 4 lanes of traffic.

Not a mark to the outside of the car, a bit of damage inside the mags (no damage to the rubber) & a bit of minor damage under the car. No other cars were damaged (or involved), though a few that learnt all about their ABS.

Not a scratch on any of us, just a bit of shock - F6Tornado's step-son was buckled in and asleep in the back when it happened, he woke up when I got the car stopped.

When we purchased our last 2 FPVs (Tornados), I went to the drive day (we had a BA & a BF). If it wasn't for these two days of driving (first day was totally without traction control as the BA didn't have it), then I probably wouldn't be here to tell you about it all.

Steve @ RDP said that what I did was the right thing (I've got no idea what I did, that is a total blank, which I'm told is a good thing because I acted on pure instinct), that most people would have slammed on the brakes and that would have rolled the car and we wouldn't have walked away. He also now knows of 3 people who have had this happen to them (himself & me being two of them). I believe if we'd been in any of our modern cars, then we wouldn't have walked away either.

Thing was, nobody stopped to see if we were ok, including the boys in blue - 4 cars and 2 bikes went past. The only people who stopped were friends of ours, who drive a Chevy BellAire, and that was about 30 mins after the incident, we'd already called the tow truck by this stage. They drove me home so I could pick up our FPV to go meet hubby when he got up to RDP.

If you all do nothing for yourselves this year, go and do a defensive driving day, one that you actually do theory and practical.

I could not agree more with you, I have done a car control course with my XY Falc, then high performance course, and then re-did the HyPo course in my XR8 after it had been to HERROD, one of these days I will take the mustang. I think allot of the things you learn go into your sub-concious and will only come out it the right situation like it did for you. Happy to hear no-one was hurt.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
bingoTE50
Steve

Yes , I have been saying this for years about driving in general. I have done level 1 and level 2 with Ian Luff at Oran Park and besides being fun , you learn something no matter how good you are.
I also did a drive day on the track driving a track prepared integra ,and a formula ford , also with Ian Luff , and this really puts in to perspective your ability when comparing your lap time to the regular instructors. All good stuff... :
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great write up and a good re-enforcement of why advanced driving courses should be mandatory. An untrained driver would have been far more likely to have serious damage in those circumstances.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Good to hear no one hurt and only minor damage to the car mate.

Now im not looking to start trouble but what could i learn in the driving course
i havent already picked through years of driving like a nutcase on the farm? I have also done a few years of speedway in the north east.
As i said im not trying to start trouble but would like to know what if any new skills you learned at the defensive driving course.

Cheers Box
Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Driving courses are definatly a good thing!

I've done a full day defensive driving course up here in cairns, half day theory and the other half prac.

I can honestly say it has gotten me out of a few hairy situations.

Doing the course was some of the best money I've ever spent.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxo
Good to hear no one hurt and only minor damage to the car mate.

Now im not looking to start trouble but what could i learn in the driving course
i havent already picked through years of driving like a nutcase on the farm? I have also done a few years of speedway in the north east.
As i said im not trying to start trouble but would like to know what if any new skills you learned at the defensive driving course.

Cheers Box

For me one of the main thing that stuck, was braking. Not much of an issue with ABS cars, at the time in the XY and I drove Express/Hiace vans for work I can honestly say, 9/10 times of heavy braking is emergency situations I would not lock the brakes because of what was learned at drivng course, amongst other things. as for the HyPo course the confidence you gain in your car from throwing it around a race track(sensibly of course) I think adds years of experience to a mature minded driver. I did my courses with MURCOTTS in Melbourne.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very Lucky and no doubt the driver training saved the day.

There was a incident that happened when i was younger were we almost had a head on at 120km/h with a 4WD and I have no doubt the only reason i am alive today is cause the old man was a cop and had been trained how to drive, and of course the fact we were in a Falcon as well LOL.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
punkin
having time of her life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxo
Cheers Box
what I learnt on my drive day with the FPV was how to deal with a car in an out of control situation on a wet road, which is what I ended up having to deal with that night.

defensive driving courses - which you are mentioning here - teach you defensive driving methods and how to avoid accidents with other people, eg correct braking distances for drum or disc brakes, correct road positioning, where to be looking on the road when driving, these things aren't taught when you get your licence or on the race track

Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I personally don't see the comparison between driving like a nutcase on farmland and learning how to control your car in extreme circumstance, better still how not to put yourself in those circumstances to start with, but thats me.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I personally don't see the comparison between driving like a nutcase on farmland and learning how to control your car in extreme circumstance, better still how not to put yourself in those circumstances to start with, but thats me.
It may not be your fault at all that you get put into a situation demanding those skills when you are on the road, not everyone drives 100% perfectly.

Its one of the first things i will be doing when i get my Ps.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive done the FPV day and also a seperate Defensive driving course and i must say these things SHOULD be law for new drivers before they get their licence. The stuff you learn on these days is VERY valuable!! anyone with young kids just getting their licences I suggest you send them to one of these days in their own car, just so they can feel its limits and how to best apply it to different situations.. I know these courses have saved my in some hairy situations, not necessarily caused by myself either, its the other bugger youve always gotta watch out for.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Ive done the FPV day and also a seperate Defensive driving course and i must say these things SHOULD be law for new drivers before they get their licence. The stuff you learn on these days is VERY valuable!! anyone with young kids just getting their licences I suggest you send them to one of these days in their own car, just so they can feel its limits and how to best apply it to different situations.. I know these courses have saved my in some hairy situations, not necessarily caused by myself either, its the other bugger youve always gotta watch out for.
How old do you have to be to do one? I'm 16 but my parents won't let me buy a car, mum wont let me drive hers because the gears stick and dad freaks out when i drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
and what you learn at the driving school wont enable you too go crazy on a farm either apples and oranges . being a great driver will prob be enough for you . but these courses are an invaluable tool to get some skilled drivers on the road . as these things werent around when i taught my wife to drive i did it myself got her to do a lot of silly things . and saved us already she woke me after a near miss and actually thanked me .
Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #15
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Quote:
Mate, if you can control a car on wet grass you can control it anywhere imho.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
It may not be your fault at all that you get put into a situation demanding those skills when you are on the road, not everyone drives 100% perfectly.

Its one of the first things i will be doing when i get my Ps.
A "defensive" driving course? Good.

Part of the curriculum-tuition of 'defensive driving' is that you don’t do the things that get you into trouble in the first place, 'observation', 'expectation' et al. This is part of the point Laminge is making.

Punkin wrote:-
Quote:
We were in the far left hand lane. I heard the bang as they all sheared off, felt the car go (she weighs over 2 tonne) and instinct cut in. When I got her stopped, we were across 3 lanes of traffic (with 4 lanes of lights heading towards the side of the car). F6Tornado got her into park to re-start her - I couldn't get her to re-start in neutral, to get her off the road and along the side of the median strip. So basically I crossed 4 lanes of traffic (at night & in intermittent weather).
So DID the Impala manage to be pushed to the left side of the road OR into the median at some stage? Or, were you left broadside to approaching traffic *for a while*??

What road and limit may I ask?

Damned lucky.

Boxo wrote: -
Quote:
Mate, if you can control a car on wet grass you can control it anywhere imho.
I raise your wet grass and supply you with black ice instead, say right where we have electronic ICE Warning Signs - Great Western Highway Lithgow/Mt Lambie:- ) ) Much more fun.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 03-02-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
boxo
fit 'n' turn

I
Quote:
raise your wet grass and supply you with black ice instead, say right where we have electronic ICE Warning Signs - Great Western Highway Lithgow/Mt Lambie:- ) ) Much more fun.
Ok you got me there! I used to drive the Tawonga gap between Bright and Mount Beauty as a courier black ice galore on winter mornings/nights.
Id take wet grass over that every time. * shudders *
Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
Conrad
Banned

I think the big question is, did you start this thread to enforce people to take driving courses or do you want us all to compliment you on your awesome driving.

If you ended up across 3 lanes of highway traffic i would have thought u'd done the wrong thing.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
punkin
having time of her life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
So DID the Impala manage to be pushed to the left side of the road OR into the median at some stage? Or, were you left broadside to approaching traffic *for a while*??
Car stalled while broadside, got it started & "drove" it onto the median strip where it was when the tow truck arrived to pick it up (I left my husband there with it, I got my step-son home & into bed, then I met him with our other car).

Quote:
What road and limit may I ask?
M1 near Movie World (Gold Coast) - signed limit 110km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
I think the big question is, did you start this thread to enforce people to take driving courses or do you want us all to compliment you on your awesome driving.

If you ended up across 3 lanes of highway traffic i would have thought u'd done the wrong thing.
It was just a post saying that I think they're a good idea and if I'd not done one (albiet just 2 FPV drive days) then I'd not be here, my husband wouldn't be here and my step-son wouldn't be here.

hmmmm I did the wrong thing how? Metal fatigue in the studs of a 45 year old car caused them to shear off, at speed. I didn't hit any of the barriers, hit another car (or have one hit me), didn't damage the car or the occupants.

I'm extremely proud of my driving, I got out of a situation that would have made other women freak out and go into hysterics.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #20
Conrad
Banned

So many calls i can't unleash right now.

I'd rather hit a non moving barrier than have a moving 1.5+ tonne vehicle hitting me while being stuck in 3 lanes of highway traffic. I would say you are lucky that it wasn't any earlier or later when a traffic collision was imminent.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Talking of M1 and median barriers:-

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...top-story.html
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #22
woodsy109

Quote:
Talking of M1 and median barriers:-

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...top-story.html

Ahh karma....
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin

I'm extremely proud of my driving, I got out of a situation that would have made other women freak out and go into hysterics.

This will most likely come off as sexist but please take it as a compliment mmmkay?
Well done! Most women, as you said, would have freaked big time and froze up most likely with more severe cosequences.
I offered to teach my wife how to keep control when things go wrong but she wasnt interested, i guess she's too scared.
And im sure alot of other chicks feel the same way so the hats off to you for giving it a go.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon driving courses are great.

I reckon I have done about 300+ of them.