Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face Apprentice moments?

Ok no i dont have anything to tell you. i just wanna hear your fondest stories about apprentices you have worked with, employed or just plain screwed around because i know there are stories out there, ive heard a few.. i just cant remember them

TELL ALL!!

Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old classics come to mind, sending them off for a left handed screw driver, a top radiator hose for a VW.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only one I nearly fell for was a tin of stripey paint. I took one step and thought, wait a minute, no such thing. They tried to get me with the left handed screw driver, box of sparks, long weight etc. I was recently told by an older tradesman that there is such a thing as a left handed shifting spanner. I thought he was bullshiitting but one of my mates who has worked there for 16 years vouched for him and has seen it. The owner of the said spanner has sold his share of the company and departed along with the shifter
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

The best one i remember was setting our apprentice on fire because he called in sick the day before. Let me tell you he never chucked a sicky EVER again!! It was the only way for him to learn really. he knew to respect us otherwise we'd hurt him again.

[/SARCASM] :togo:

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 04-02-2008 at 11:58 PM.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahaha that kid got owned..

when you walk into a tafe and you see the 16yr old dropouts screwin around doin construction or mechanics (and stealing Autosounds SOUND EQUIPMENT YOU CHEAP FCKS!) you just know in a few years they will get one hell of a big steel caped boot in their ***
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im a new apprentice.. but im a mature age one (21yo) doing spray painting

should be good fun!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Ah.....there been so many....

One of my favourites was to send a kid to the boiler maker to fetch me a bucket of hot sparks.

He goes to him with bucket in hand, the boilermaker grinds some steel with an angle grinder, and the kid catches the sparks as they come off the wheel.
Then he slowly walks back to me with the bucket, and I give him a serve cause the sparks are now cold.
I still think the lad has no idea what just happened. :
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id light a firecracker in there for ya LOL
imagine what ud say then when the sparks are hot hot hot!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

That would only encourage me!
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a mate was telling me an apprentice at their shop was doing some plasma cutting inside a tanker of some sort (like oil tanker etc)..

then sombody closed the lid on it and locked him in..

he went nuts (claustrophobic i spose?)
and cut a hole in the side to escape..

needless to say the guy who locked him in had to fix it lol
Old 05-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN
Ah.....there been so many....

One of my favourites was to send a kid to the boiler maker to fetch me a bucket of hot sparks.

He goes to him with bucket in hand, the boilermaker grinds some steel with an angle grinder, and the kid catches the sparks as they come off the wheel.
Then he slowly walks back to me with the bucket, and I give him a serve cause the sparks are now cold.
I still think the lad has no idea what just happened. :
Brilliant . Sending someone to the service department for a long weight was always a classic at my dads old workshop. Never got old.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

We told a kid at work to mop the walk in freezer... When the mop froze to the ground he got worried..
And I told the same kid that the freezer locks down at 5pm and dosent open until 5am, some kind of climate control/air rotation story that was made up on the spot (pretty good effort eh?)
Anyways, i told him to get something out at about 5 to 5 and to be quick, he spent 5 minutes looking for this made up frozen item, and I shut the door and held it there...
Poor kid cried....
I kinda feel bad about it now though...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
We told a kid at work to mop the walk in freezer... When the mop froze to the ground he got worried..
And I told the same kid that the freezer locks down at 5pm and dosent open until 5am, some kind of climate control/air rotation story that was made up on the spot (pretty good effort eh?)
Anyways, i told him to get something out at about 5 to 5 and to be quick, he spent 5 minutes looking for this made up frozen item, and I shut the door and held it there...
Poor kid cried....

That is horrible! But so awesome haha
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I am a second year apprentice and have no trouble what so ever. Admittedly its just me and my boss.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #15
rodderz

I just hired an apprentice a few weeks ago, but no stories as yet

A guy I used to work with said when he was younger the guys told the young fella that they were going fishing off the Dandenong Pier for silverfish, and he had to wear bright pants and shirt as it attracted them.

Apparently he turned up with his fishing rod in the car the next day and was confused at why he couldnt find the pier!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I have some stories but not auto related.

In high school one shop teacher would send a student to the shop in the other school building to get "wooden welding rods". The kid would return with wood dowel rods. The teachers sent them back and forth that way over the years.

Being a Toolmaker this is one of my favorite machine trades Apprentice stories. One Journeyman would ask the other, who had the apprentice with him by the metal rack, to bring him a piece of 4130 chrome-moly steel. The Journeyman with the apprentice would then lift up various pieces of metal and "smell" them until he found the chrome-moly. Another day he would be asked to bring over a piece of O2 tool steel. Again the Journeyman would sniff the various pieces of metal on the rack until he found the steel requested.

Then when the apprentice would rotate to another shift and sooner or later be asked to bring a certain kind of metal to the journeyman he would start picking up pieces of metal and sniffing them. The Journeyman would ask.....

"What the hell are you doing?!"

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Being a Toolmaker this is one of my favorite machine trades Apprentice stories. One Journeyman would ask the other, who had the apprentice with him by the metal rack, to bring him a piece of 4130 chrome-moly steel. The Journeyman with the apprentice would then lift up various pieces of metal and "smell" them until he found the chrome-moly. Another day he would be asked to bring over a piece of O2 tool steel. Again the Journeyman would sniff the various pieces of metal on the rack until he found the steel requested.
Similar... I was out on a cabling job running cat 5e with an apprentice and another tech, when it came time to start identifying the cables the other tech put tone on one of the cables that was slightly different colour (different batch). went and picked up the bundle of cables and held each cable in turn to his forehead, and "found" the cable he was looking for. The apprentice confirmed it with the F set and then asked how did he do it. Tech explained that after many years in the business you get sensitive to the F set tone. I confirmed it, and then from then on watched the apprentice try it on EVERY cabling job...
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #18
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is one of an apprentice getting his own back.
Many years ago the foreman sent an apprentice out for a can of striped paint and paint the safety barrier. The standard old trick. This apprentice was gone for a very long time but eventually he came back with a can of paint and says "here ya go, black and yellow striped paint", and then proceeded to get a brush and paint the barrier. And the thing is it was stripped paint, half the brush was painting in black and the other half was in yellow.
This totally floored the foreman.
What this apprentice had done is get a paint can and solder a dividing panel in it then filled half up with black paint and the other half with yellow. By dipping the brush across this divider he was able to get half of each.
The foreman never lived that down, owned by an apprentice.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #19
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Many years ago the foreman sent an apprentice out for a can of striped paint and paint the safety barrier. The standard old trick. This apprentice was gone for a very long time but eventually he came back with a can of paint and says "here ya go, black and yellow striped paint", and then proceeded to get a brush and paint the barrier. And the thing is it was stripped paint, half the brush was painting in black and the other half was in yellow.
What this apprentice had done is get a paint can and solder a dividing panel in it then filled half up with black paint and the other half with yellow. By dipping the brush across this divider he was able to get half of each.
ahaha thats awesome!!! i wanna be an apprentice just so i can do that to my boss lol
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard of an Apprentice being asked to go and get a long weight, and he knew what was going on so he just went home.

I used to work int the Air Force and we had one guy that the Trade supervisors could get over and over agian. They got him with the left handed screw driver, the left handed shifter, a long weight and a sky hook. But one of the better ones was prop wash.

The hanger next door ours used to have 3 PC9's (the same planes the Roulette's use) so the Tradies used to ask the new guys to go over and get some prop wash, all but this guy would click on after standing behind the plane when it taxied out.

When they guy was still standing there waiting after the planes had left (after getting 3 lots of prop wash) the PC9 guys had a little bit more fun with him. They told him the 'wash' is very dangerous and he needed to get fully covered in Protective clothing. After a few minutes he returned fully dressed in a white saftey suit, booties and all, butyl gloves, breathing mask and face shield. In the meantime the PC9 guys had collected nearly every chemical they could find, a couple had even relieved themselves in the wash.

He ended up coming back to our hangar really slowly trying not to drop anything, and our guys had thought it had gone on long enough and explained what prop wash really was, but this poor guy still didn't get it. Heaps of amusement for us, but you almost feel sorry for him.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Poor kid cried....
the walk in?

im guessing a maccas kiddie?

i got a few, telling kids to get a box of steam from the freezer, buns from the bakery upstairs, the 12inch pocolation tool - wtf????, can you steam the vats.

was funny till some kid poured a jug of water in the oil and it splashed up everywhere and all over his shirt. then i got up him about not wearing correct PPE and it was hilarious
Old 05-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #22
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Haha, sly fox.

This isn't an apprentice story, but all through my school years I worked as a stable hand on the weekends at the local racing stables. My job with a few others was to pick up the horse shiit from all the boxes and yards with a long rake and wheel barra. Pretty much every month there would be a new school age kid help with the job (high turn over rate, lol.) Some of the old veterans would tell the new kid to pick up the shiit by hand and shovel it into a bucket as it was quicker and it's a fast paced job, so you'd have this traumatized kid trying to shovel nice sloppy piles of steaming horse shiit into a bucket by hand, lol.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the horse plonk is a bit much to do to a kid... mind you if you asked me to do that id throw it at you lol
Old 05-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #24
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Bottles of flies for the flywheel used to get 'em every time.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #25
weenie

Nothing beats telling female family members to make sure they get the headlight fluid checked at the next service. Or the mate telling his mum that he needed to take her pulsar out for a wrap to clean the carby out...it was fuel injected. My bro used to tell apprentices to check the valves on the 2 stroke bikes. They would be there for hours.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #26
myxr6
Banned

Ask the Navy guy's about bulbs for the deadlight , splash target coxswains , tiger hunts , plus all the usual like the long waits , purple grinding sparks , milk for the seacat etc , lots of fun.Not to mention the guys spitting out coleslaw in the rough to make the new guys go out in sympathy.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #27
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
The best one i remember was setting our apprentice on fire because he called in sick the day before. Let me tell you he never chucked a sicky EVER again!! It was the only way for him to learn really. he knew to respect us otherwise we'd hurt him again.
And if he gets sick you will kick him to death or shoot him?
I woulda had the police onto you.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
And if he gets sick you will kick him to death or shoot him?
I woulda had the police onto you.
Thats what i was thinking. If you take a sick day, there should be no repercussions of you doing so the next day.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #29
boss-290

I think he was joking about the fire thing. (I hope)

I have all these things to look forward to on Monday????? :togo:
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
the walk in?

im guessing a maccas kiddie?
Nope, Supermarket. Even though im in Liquor, we still get to give the grocery boys crap.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post