Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
lostdude

Default sump gasket

Hi guys, Has anyone changed a sump gasket on a I6 before?
my car is ****ing out with oil and i think its the sump gasket leaking.
just want to know if its a DIY job or i should leave it to the pro's at ford service .

thanks.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
lostdude

just did abit of search/reading on here, this is gonna be expensive :
Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
EX-Y494

Never ever will I do a sump gasket again I'll pay some to do it.
C2R body kit, 2 1/2 cat back Exhaust, Red Diamond 2800rpm stall converter
BA front brakes, BA air box with pod
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/cgi-bin/i...act=item&i=326
EX-Y494 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
lostdude

thanks i think i'll do the same. I read on previous threads either the engine comes out or the remove the cross member.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did it in an ea without removing the engine or crossmember....just dropped the sump, and managed to get it past the oil pickup, then put it in place and bolted it back up, didn't leak so....don't know if it's that simple on an au tho, I don't know what the inside of the sump looks like in them
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is leaking... supposed to be fixed under warranty but the dealer and his machanics have been dancing around it like idiots the past two months.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
Mine is leaking... supposed to be fixed under warranty but the dealer and his machanics have been dancing around it like idiots the past two months.
how much warranty do you have ??.....Make sure it gets repaired under your warranty ,It will cost you plenty if you end up paying for it.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red
how much warranty do you have ??.....Make sure it gets repaired under your warranty ,It will cost you plenty if you end up paying for it.
Warranty ran out a month ago, but I notified them about it at least two months ago now, so one way or another they will be responsible to fix it.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
justa6
justa6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i did it in an ea without removing the engine or crossmember....just dropped the sump, and managed to get it past the oil pickup, then put it in place and bolted it back up, didn't leak so....don't know if it's that simple on an au tho, I don't know what the inside of the sump looks like in them
i wouldn't think you could get the sump off like you did on the ea. the pickup goes down into it's own hole, pretty tight fit.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

OK ... i thought I had a leaking sump gasket myself ... as it ooked like it was leaking front the front driver's side corner of the engine.

f you's seems to be leaking from that section .. have a look higher with some decent light ... it just could be the cam chain tensioner behind the power steer reservoir ... it fooled me.

It was on due to Stav telling me to look there in the first place ... saved me a a lot of heartache ... that's for sure.

The cam chain tensioner is behind the back of the power steer reservoir ... and you need check behind there ... as the tensioner is in the side of the head behind the reservoir bracket.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my timing chain tensioner was leaking too, which is what the mechanic claimed was the problem. However, the sump does have a leak too.

To fix a timing chain tensioner leak, sump gasket leak, power steering leak and speedo transducer leak they have reportedly incorrectly:

1. Tightened sump bolts
2. Tightened transmission pan bolts
3. Replaced rear extension housing seal
4. Replaced rear main seal
5. Tightened power steering filter clamp

They've finally done the tensioner, speedo tranducer and they replaced the entire power steering hose/filter system. All that's left is the sump gasket and my car should be A-OK.