Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

Default E-Tag or not to E-Tag ?

Hi guys, just like to indicate my concern that a large number of people that I've witnessed using the motorway do not use E-Tag, but use the E-Tag toll line to go through. How, easy , all they have to do is to slow down before exiting through, and wait for you to catch up, when you get close enough the gadget reads your Tag and there you go, he passes through with your so called E-Tag. I use the M5 and the Harbour tunnel twice a day 5 times a week. My warning would be wait till that person passes the indicator. And then move on.

cheers,

Falcon-Tickford-FPV Car Club of NSW
http://bseries.com.au/fpv608
PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
fpv608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

i can't see how that can happen. although i live in s.a. i have experienced the tolls in qld and the e tag thing doesn't beep until you are almost under it. for it to read the car in front as being part of your car, you'd have to be fairly close. vehicles that go through without an e tag get their rego recorded and a nice bill in the mail.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i can't see how that can happen. although i live in s.a. i have experienced the tolls in qld and the e tag thing doesn't beep until you are almost under it. for it to read the car in front as being part of your car, you'd have to be fairly close. vehicles that go through without an e tag get their rego recorded and a nice bill in the mail.
My apoligy, It accurs when that toll has a gate.

Falcon-Tickford-FPV Car Club of NSW
http://bseries.com.au/fpv608
PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
fpv608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

My Melbourne etag experience....

Today I had to get an etag for weekend travel on the M1. I accidentaly put in the wrong rego online (forgot we were in the coupe) and paid for an etag online. Rang Citylink and gave them the online receipt number but unfortunately online passes take 24 hours to reach their system so was advised to call before 10am Tuesday as it was a weekend pass.

My question is...If I can give them the receipt number and day and time of travel, why can't they make a note in their system...why do I have to call back before 10am tomorrow to make sure they correct the rego?? or I can get a fine??

Yes..my mistake for entering the wrong rego but why do they make it so hard??
Old 12-02-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv608
My apoligy, It accurs when that toll has a gate.
i thought the whole idea of e-tag was so that you didn't have to stop! none of the e-tag lanes at the tolls that i've been through in qld (gateway, pacific, logan etc) have gates on them. just slow to 60kph and keep going.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
My question is...If I can give them the receipt number and day and time of travel, why can't they make a note in their system...why do I have to call back before 10am tomorrow to make sure they correct the rego?? or I can get a fine??

Yes..my mistake for entering the wrong rego but why do they make it so hard??
You wont get a fine but a late toll invoice. I went up to Warnnanbool for a long weekend and thought Id purchase a day pass when I got back home, but I was a day late. I received a bill in the mail a few weeks later which was only $5 more for a late payment fee.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
Paxton
Cobblers!

E-Tag - Do Not Stop. That was the whole reason I got two of them. Without a tag, you can drive through the lane, your Number Plate will be photographed, and a bill will be sent to you in the mail. If you don't have a tag, there is a processing fee, of about $10, however if you do have a tag, you just write your account number and tag number on the bill, and fax it off to them, no excess fees.

On the Sydney Harbour Tunnel, there is no cash lane any more. People without tags can still use the tunnel.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i thought the whole idea of e-tag was so that you didn't have to stop! none of the e-tag lanes at the tolls that i've been through in qld (gateway, pacific, logan etc) have gates on them. just slow to 60kph and keep going.
That's right. This is exactly how it works.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are some that are e-tag + change booths.

so what Hakan means, he is coming to a toll booth that does e-tag and change, knobhead A is infront of him, slows down a LOT so that now hakan is behind him, they both get to the tolls together, booth recognises tag from his car, he and knobhead A pass through under the 1 payment.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Yes, most of got that Bourney, but the thing some of us are trying to understand is why knobhead B (he has the e-tag) is going to that lane rather than just use the 'No Stopping' lane.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
scoupedy

sorry can't really see how that would happen...
BUT that may explain why i never got a fine when i didn't pay in sydney several times when i was down there
If your going to have tolls then the etag is the way to go F$#king around with day passes and pay booths is sooo anoiying
The best system is in WA: no toll ways!!! in the biggest state with less rego income

Just had a thought, i was told that if the etag didn't match the rego you still got a fine, because if you change cars you have to tell them the new rego to avoid this
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

No i dont have a rego recorded on mine,i use it in a few diffewrent cars,it works fine.

If anyone wants to get past the gate for free on my e tag they are quite welcome too,the more the better,stuff these clowns and their private roads.

In fact I do know a trick to get out of paying,but would only work when there is light traffic so not much use to me,but I have tried it a couple of times and it works,and a much better idea than the one mentioned.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Yes, most of got that Bourney, but the thing some of us are trying to understand is why knobhead B (he has the e-tag) is going to that lane rather than just use the 'No Stopping' lane.
ah fair enough, well the past couple of times i've gone through these types of toll gates they've actually been the lanes that are less congested since the e-only lanes get packed so that could be the reason
Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have to use the ETAG + Change lane on the M2 ... as I NEED to exit at Christie St ... the only lane that exits there is a manual gate lane.

I have to use it regardless ... this is one place that I know of that I need to wait in line ... otherwise I go through the centre section where it is DO NOT STOP.

What I do though is I hang back a bit ... I wait for the guy in front to pay at the cashier ... and then I move up and trigger the sensor and drive though ... I don't give the guy in front a chance to utilise my ETAG.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I
What I do though is I hang back a bit ... I wait for the guy in front to pay at the cashier ... and then I move up and trigger the sensor and drive though ... I don't give the guy in front a chance to utilise my ETAG.
exactly! its not rocket science.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
there are some that are e-tag + change booths.

so what Hakan means, he is coming to a toll booth that does e-tag and change, knobhead A is infront of him, slows down a LOT so that now hakan is behind him, they both get to the tolls together, booth recognises tag from his car, he and knobhead A pass through under the 1 payment.
I use several e-tag toll gates with a boom gate and have never seen that happen (on a bad day I'll use toll gates 3-6 times a day). I don't even know how it's possible?! My e-tag goes off well before the boom gate for the gate to have the time to open. If someone was balking at going through, they're likely had a happy snap taken before your e-tag has beeped.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #17
paul_r_d

In Melbourne, you can pick up day passes from ya local newsagency or petrol station to use any time to use on CityLink (e-tag toll way). For regular uses we simply use the e-tag topping it with credit when needed.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #18
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I dont even think the toll gate at the E-tags on the M5 are solid, I'm fairly certain they are just a foam type barrier, wouldnt be very hard to drive straight through.
As for the ones at the end of the eastern Dist. thats a different story.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I dont even think the toll gate at the E-tags on the M5 are solid, I'm fairly certain they are just a foam type barrier, wouldnt be very hard to drive straight through.
I've never paid cash on the ED. I was under the impression that it had no barriers at all, which gave the operators the option of allowing more E-Tag lanes as required. I can't wait until all Private Roads (hah, as if) became E-Tag only.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
... My e-tag goes off well before the boom gate for the gate to have the time to open. If someone was balking at going through, they're likely had a happy snap taken before your e-tag has beeped.
yeah? thats a better idea, some of sydneys it only goes off as you are under the booth which gives me a heart attack each time cos i think CRAP! it didnt work im gonna hit the boom... oh wait its up
Old 13-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
No, I don't think they are. A number of them have been pushed through (they also appear to bend backwards quite easily) very often. Perhaps they're metal inside with a soft padding on the outside.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post