Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Once in a lifetime trip!!

Hi,

Hubby and I have decided to go on a trip for about 3 months round the world.

So far we are going to Egypt, London, Holland, Singapore, Kuala Lumpar and Hong Kong(maybe). We have to go to these places to fit it in with Doctors visits.

Problem is we want to go on tours everywhere we go. We have seen so many travel agents and read so many online travel stories but are still not sure what to see or where to go.

We are leaving middle of May...that much we are sure of.

Has anyone been on tours in these countries or have suggestions of sights we should add to our trip.

Any advice would be appreciated as I can only do this once in this lifetime.

Cheers
Col

Old 25-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the first time my wife and I did a european vactiaon (Que the national lampoons sound track) she pland every thign down to the smallest detail, when we got there we found the tours she booked form home were expencive and inflexable compaired to what we found when we got there. the last time we had a few booked that he "Had to do" but generaly found those red double decker buses to be great it was like 20 Euro for 24 hours travel (on and off as many times as you like) so we typicly hoped on one in the moring did a lap with the comentry then hoped off on the sencond lap wandered then hoped on till the next stop and so on

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
cob115
COUPE WHORE

[QUOTE=Geez Louise]Hi,

So far we are going to Egypt, London, Holland, Singapore, Kuala Lumpar and Hong Kong(maybe). We have to go to these places to fit it in with Doctors visits.

Geez Louise you lucky bugger! : Just remember to have fun it can get hectic and you will never see all the things you wil want to see in the time you have, find a few 1st class bus tours i reckon there great they point out all the touristy stuff and you meet people from all over the world,i took my family to America over xmas and had a blast,but we done to much in the time we were there so it was very tireing,youve got a lot of time flying(first class i hope lol)Quants in my opion are the best value have fun cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

your gonna have a great time, i went to singapore just on a year ago now with my dad and it was fantastic, just try not to spend all your $$$ in the first week like we did lol.

i agree with cob115, qantas is the best when flying over seas, we went business class and had a great time, the staff payed so much more attention to you and what you wanted, but please steer clear of british airways, seats were facing backwards (wasnt pleasant when taking off) not alot of room and the service wasnt the best either.

anyways have fun

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Nappa
Impressive...

just got back from a trip to egypt and singapore. Both places were fantastic.
Your dollar will go a long way in egypt, i would recomend booking a tour here in aus with a company like gecko's, intrepid or gecko's parent company periguin. We found that when you try to book anything through the agencies and hotels in egypt you are often being set up with someones cousin or brother who may not give you a value for money tour.

You dont need any tours in singapore, its very easy to get around and everyone is really nice there.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Duke
The Duke

Unfortunately I'm not able to assist with travel advice Col, I just wanted to say congratulations and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your travels.

Cheers
Duke.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
just got back from a trip to egypt and singapore. Both places were fantastic.
Your dollar will go a long way in egypt, i would recomend booking a tour here in aus with a company like gecko's, intrepid or gecko's parent company periguin. We found that when you try to book anything through the agencies and hotels in egypt you are often being set up with someones cousin or brother who may not give you a value for money tour.

You dont need any tours in singapore, its very easy to get around and everyone is really nice there.
Nappa which tour did you go on and with who? Was there anything you missed that you wanted to see??

Most of the tours we have looked at do not do Alexandria and I really want to see the Cleopatra's library (I know..nerd in me coming out) Also have heard that the Cairo Museum is about 3 days worth not one.

Did you go there? Egypt is the only place on this planet that I really want to go to and we are thinking maybe spending 3 weeks there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke
Unfortunately I'm not able to assist with travel advice Col, I just wanted to say congratulations and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your travels.

Cheers
Duke.
Thats ok Duke! You have helped me in more ways than one!! Thanks so much for the email...I used it as a guide so to speak so thanks again!! Your a gem and a master of words!!
Old 25-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

my niece is off to egypt next week to meet up with her fiance who has been working in africa. she has 8 days there i think. i will try and get you some tips when she gets home.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The - Lonley Plant books seem to be very helpful, espically if your somwhere with different languages!

Enjoy you Holiday, who you fly with over to london. We are on thai airways for our UK trip!

Our Next one is egypt or dubai hopefully!
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Try to plan ahead with the flights as much as possible, what I mean is, see who you can fly with that offers 'free' extended stop overs.

Eg, Syd -> Korea on Singapore Airlines stops in Singapore. My stopover was 2 weeks at no extra cost.

London -> Korea on Emirates stops in Dubai, so I stayed there for 5 nights at no extra cost. It's a great way to tick up the countries you visit by making use of the free extended stop overs some airlines offer.

As mentioned, Singapore is a small country / city and public good cheap public transport goes to every corner if the island. The tourist info there is great.. no need to book anything in advance, just arrive, settle in to your accomodation and start flicking through the ton of free leaflets offered at the airport and at tourist info offices.

London, well perhaps you could be slightly adventerous and get to Holland by bus from there... with a stop over on France and Germany. It is certainly an interesting trip, I did it in reverse (Got from Korea to London WITHOUT hopping on a plane).

Please, don't book everything to the hilt from OZ, tours are very easy to organise and are most often much cheaper when booked from the country itself, also you will have many more options compared to booking from OZ.

Regarding your bed. Please take a look at some of the rooms youth hostels offer. If you want 5 star with all the bells and whistles, than keep away from hostels, but if you prefer to spend your money on good food and good experiences, you can still score a private '2-3 star' double room for under half the price of a 4-5 star Hotel (and your food and tours will be also had at a HUGE discount compared to what is offered in hotels.

Im heading off again in just over 3 weeks... SE Asia this time, can't wait.

Enjoy your trip!

oh use www.tripadvisor.com ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ever thought about crossing over to France while in London? In 2004 I went on a school trip to Europe, focusing on the Anzacs - Gallipoli, Western Front, and a stop at Normandy. Definatley worth it imo, once in a lifetime experience, especially Turkey.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Why did i just have this image on my mind ?

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

We got out trip sorted. Going to Egypt, London, Paris, Swiss Alps, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Vatican City, Verona, Venice, Tyrol, Rhine Valley, Amsterdam, Singapore.

I am tired just thinking about how much cash I am going to blow!!

I am so looking forward to it...Bring on the 4th May!!
Old 26-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Hi,

Problem is we want to go on tours everywhere we go. We have seen so many travel agents and read so many online travel stories but are still not sure what to see or where to go.

We are leaving middle of May...that much we are sure of.

Has anyone been on tours in these countries or have suggestions of sights we should add to our trip.

Any advice would be appreciated as I can only do this once in this lifetime.

Cheers
Col

Australian Government's "smart traveller" advice:- We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Egypt because of the high threat of terrorist attack. Attacks could occur at any time, anywhere in Egypt.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Australian Government's "smart traveller" advice:- We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Egypt because of the high threat of terrorist attack. Attacks could occur at any time, anywhere in Egypt.
That smart traveller site is a crock of stool if ever I saw one. It's almost like the "may contain traces of nuts" warning.

Have you actually looked at how many countries have that warning?? I dare say that you could count the countries that don't have that warning on your fingers and toes....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #16
Geez Louise
Awesome

I looked at Smart traveller and it always says that about Egypt. Has done for the past 3 years...something is gonna kill ya! Can't live in fear.

Thanks for your advice though.
Old 26-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What state are you in Geez Louise? We know a good travel agent in Sydney.

I went with my Olds last year to Hong Kong/London-UK/Spain/Italy/Japan. UK we did ourselves but we used the trafalgar buses in Europe. The Japanese have their own thing which is very good but that's a story for another day. I could add some comments about the bus operators if you like.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still waitin for my mum to win lotto so she can pay for my all expense paid trip to egypt and then dubai

in june im goin to bali for 2 weeks so i know how ya feel! I CANT WAIT!!! although mine will be a helluva lot cheaper($1400 for 2 weeks accom, flights and brekky!)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
Geez Louise
Awesome

Yeah...this trip is EXPENSIVE...but hey...Can't take it with me!!
Old 26-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #20
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Colleen, we haven't spoken directly in regards to your condition but i have some knowledge about it. I sincerely wish you all the best and i know Jack will look after you for me. On your travels, be sure to stop at Beverly Hills. There may be a family of HillBillies that will point you in the direction of some Black Gold, Texas Tea.
Old 26-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #21
Geez Louise
Awesome

I know Adam...Sorry. But that thanks for your kind words! You is da bomb!!

Ya all come back now ya Hear!!!
Old 26-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #22
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

No, You are Da' Bomb. Lets meet soon.
Old 26-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #23
Geez Louise
Awesome

Shmoke und pancake...you know Flapjack and a shigarette!
Old 26-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #24
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Shmoke und pancake...you know Flapjack and a shigarette!
Yesh i can tell by your toight pantsh, You are toight like a toiger LOL
Im from Amshterdam, ishnt that Beaut !!!
Can i paint Jacks Coupe "GOOOOOLLLLDDDD" How about NO ya crazy OzECruiser Bastard. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #25
Nappa
Impressive...

[QUOTE=Geez Louise]Nappa which tour did you go on and with who? Was there anything you missed that you wanted to see??

Most of the tours we have looked at do not do Alexandria and I really want to see the Cleopatra's library (I know..nerd in me coming out) Also have heard that the Cairo Museum is about 3 days worth not one.

Did you go there? Egypt is the only place on this planet that I really want to go to and we are thinking maybe spending 3 weeks there.QUOTE]

I went through gecko's on the Felucca Odessy, it was very cool, about 15 days long saw most of egypts esatern side. I would the gecko's tour called sail boats and sinai as it includes the tour i did plus a trip to mt sinia.

Its going to be very hot in egypt that time of year.
Old 27-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #26
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see the holiday videos now,will probably look something like this

http://www.bestvideocodes.com/movies...anvacation.php

Hope you have a great trip,make sure you get lots of happy snaps.

Egypt is one place that I really want to go to. So much history and the pyramids would be mindblowing.

My brother has been there and says that you just don't realise how big they are until you see them for yourself.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post