Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Can someone please recommend me decent P plates?

Hey guys as the title suggests I've had it with all these different types of P plates.

I first of all tried the rubber ones (That stick on the outside).
Those fell off in 10 minutes (Clean surface).

I then tried the see through so called reusable ones (That most use).
Once removed they are not reusable, they just curl up (I tried boiling them and didn't fix it).

I then bought some suction cap ones, they've so far been the best but they are still falling down.
I cannot tape them up because my parents use the car on occasions.

And yes the Windows are clean lol, The rear window even stays down a tad to avoid a temperature shock but still they fall.

Without removal the see through are by far the best however I need to detach and reattach.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

not many i can think of, you have practically used all of them
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate uses magnetic ones. They seem to go ok.

I have some reusable l's their crap dosent matter ill get magnetic ones when i get my l's.

Next thursday!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the suction cup ones worked great for us. when my wife was on her l plates, we used them. when she drove, we put them on and took them off when i drove. they were easy to remove and replace. now she has her license, we still have the suction cups on the windows. they have not been used for 5 months, but are still stuck solid enough
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Kryton

never had a problem with the see through ones.
once they are removed you just run them under a tap and put them back on the window.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmm Thanks guys.

Funnily enough I've tried running them under the tap (suction and see through).

My see through ones always curl up on 2 sides. They curl up as much as they can (No more slack to curl up). I've also gone through 4 sets of see through.

The windows aren't tinted either, might be something in the air here lol.

My best bet might be to by some velcro or something (however I'm not completely sure whether the velcro strip would stick to the glass either).

I know that they should work, however for me they don't and I just can't think of any reason why they won't stay up. The car doesn't get humid either (because of the window).
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when they curl up, try placing them between phone books or something, i had see through ones when i was on my p's, never had a prob with them. the suction cup ones faded lol
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
when they curl up, try placing them between phone books or something, i had see through ones when i was on my p's, never had a prob with them. the suction cup ones faded lol
Thanks mate i'll try that.

However they also seem to completely lose their stick.

By looking at them though (got my New green P's on my desk ) it seems as though the material itself is where the stick comes from/or it's attaches to the window through some kind of friction?

All I really know is once they're down they only ever stick back up say 80% or so and eventually (few days) they fall off. I can even rub them on the windscreen as I would a cloth and get 0 resistance (I cleaned the windscreen and plate before trying this also).
Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever happened to wedging them under the numberplate. I did that many moons ago and never lost one in 12 months.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
Dan Gordon
Starter Motor

I try a different approach on my Commodore. I have two green magnetic P plates (thin and flexible) which I actually feed into the side of the plastic number plate holder/covers. That way they are held in place and won't come lose cause the number plate cover is holding them in. Works very well. You will get the odd plate that will curl over at times but then I just swap them around and it fixes the problem.
Dan Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Whatever happened to wedging them under the numberplate. I did that many moons ago and never lost one in 12 months.
also wondered about that, havn't seen one in ages, the plastic ones that you either put in a holder and wedge in your plates.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
Tobey
BF Ute...

I use magnetic ones, just make sure the surface is clean underneath and don't leave them in one spot for too long.

But when they disappear I just stick the crappy rta ones behind my plates.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yeah, I was just thinking you should get the plastic ones, unscrew one of your number plate screws that are on the outer edge and tuck the 'P' plate behind the plate and over the hole so the screw goes through it and locks it in place?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

on my ED i had one of those gay metal p-plate holder things which the crappy plastic plate slotted into. no worries at all.

did the same on my AU but it scratched the paint, so i offed it and stuck the plates inside til the new laws came out and then i just wedged a plate under the numberplate. easy.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

The magnetic ones seem to be the go, I threw one of my mates ones up on a metal roof beam at work, still there after 18 months.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had the see throgh ones you stick onto the inside of the window, they were great - until NSW brought in that the plates must be outside the car - so i wedged the plastic ones from the RTA under the number plates - rear one i rarely lost, front one i lost every week. i finally gave up and just kept a stack in my dash incase i was pulled over to explain. Dad then decided to velcro them on... to the paint.. god damn idiot, now i have sticky stuff on the front bar and also on the boot next to the number plate.. NO i did not want him to do it, he just went and did it..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #17
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i never had a problem with plastic stick on ones. When ever i took em down for a friend to drive i just left the little cup thing on the window. Only had to replace them because the red P started to fade into nothingness.

I used one of them magnetic ones on the back of the ba for the week i was still on them. Just took it off when i got to work and put it on when i left to prevent people stealing them (big issue here)
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Not sure what state you are from or what the rules for "P" plate displaying are, but here in NSW (as others here have said) the Govt. have made it compulsory for them to be displayed on the outside of the vehicle front and rear (you're not allowed to have them on the windows) must be near the number plate or in that vicinity. Probably easier for the cops to take your picture then. If your parents don't have a problem with it you could try fitting a set of "P" plate holders that go under the number plate (P's slide in and out) only problem with them is that they won't always fit all cars because of the number plate being recessed into the bumper (and they look crappy), or if your "P" plate display laws allow you to have them in the windows try a product called blue tack (it's a bit like sticky plasticine, for those of you haven't heard of it before) wrap it over the back edge of the plate as well and then simply push it onto the glass, it should work to stop the see through ones curling up on the corners too, and it can be reused over and over. The magnetic ones are alright too but the front ones sometimes fall off when they get a bit too much breeze under them. :O

Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Thanks mate i'll try that.

However they also seem to completely lose their stick.

By looking at them though (got my New green P's on my desk ) it seems as though the material itself is where the stick comes from/or it's attaches to the window through some kind of friction?

All I really know is once they're down they only ever stick back up say 80% or so and eventually (few days) they fall off. I can even rub them on the windscreen as I would a cloth and get 0 resistance (I cleaned the windscreen and plate before trying this also).
i found when i had mine they tried to curl up, they also seemed to want to static to the window. then i realised one day they had a plastic cover on the "p" side. i seperated them and then the plate was all floppy, but run it under water and it was great, stuck perfectly.

but as said above, apparently you can't use them anyway...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #20
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Not sure what state you are from or what the rules for "P" plate displaying are, but here in NSW (as others here have said) the Govt. have made it compulsory for them to be displayed on the outside of the vehicle front and rear (you're not allowed to have them on the windows) must be near the number plate or in that vicinity. Probably easier for the cops to take your picture then. If your parents don't have a problem with it you could try fitting a set of "P" plate holders that go under the number plate (P's slide in and out) only problem with them is that they won't always fit all cars because of the number plate being recessed into the bumper (and they look crappy), or if your "P" plate display laws allow you to have them in the windows try a product called blue tack (it's a bit like sticky plasticine, for those of you haven't heard of it before) wrap it over the back edge of the plate as well and then simply push it onto the glass, it should work to stop the see through ones curling up on the corners too, and it can be reused over and over. The magnetic ones are alright too but the front ones sometimes fall off when they get a bit too much breeze under them. :O

Russ
You sure about that? I have magnetic P-Plates on my windows (outside) with double sided tape. Got pulled over for something else but they didn't say anything, got a mate with a skyline who does the same thing and he has never been asked either. Just want to make sure, cant afford to lose the points at the moment.

Cheers
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #21
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Buy your own car and then you never need to take them off.

Worked for me

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #22
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stick some thin ply to the back of the plates any solid ones i.e. suction cup, now wedge this in between rear windscreen and centre brake light. for front same thing but use a small pringle packet to wedge it in between the dash and windscreen.

sounds a little weird but i did this for myself and my sister when we were on our l's and p's. just got ****ed after none of them worked after about 1 month.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #23
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

If you have the same style plates as over here, then its easy if not, put a hole into one of the top corners, and screw the plate in with the numberplate, then when your parents drive the car you can just slide/spin them up behind the numberplate so they can't be seen, then when you use the car, spin them back around into view.
Never fall off and don't get lost.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #24
bluezl

ok ok.... here's the easiest way! If its your own car and no one else drives it, Just go down to your local vinyl cutter and get them to make up one from the vinyl stickers that you see on all car windows.... will cost about $15 and will never fall off until you peal them off. Other wise you can wipe your window down with 1 part metho/ 3 parts water and the see through ones will stick like magic! just keep them clean. Smoking in the car usually makes it hard to stick on the windows too...
bluezl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

What i find works best is to 'fog them up'.Use the same action with your mouth that you use to fog up windows. (not the window, the p plate) That works every time.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #26
kocho
The Futuriser

Get the reusable ones with the slightly darker backing. They are better.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #27
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
You sure about that? I have magnetic P-Plates on my windows (outside) with double sided tape. Got pulled over for something else but they didn't say anything, got a mate with a skyline who does the same thing and he has never been asked either. Just want to make sure, cant afford to lose the points at the moment.

Cheers
Sorry about that, I stand corrected just checked on the NSW RTA site and found this -

Changes to the display of L and P plates on vehicles.
L or P plates may no longer be displayed from inside your vehicle. All learner and provisional drivers must clearly display their L and P plates on the front and back of the outside of the vehicle. The letters L and P on the plate must not be hidden. The penalty for incorrectly displayed plates is two demerit points and a fine.

They make changes to the road rules and regulations in NSW so often it's hard to keep up !!! :

Cheers
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #28
iliov
Banned

I slide mine into the dash and into the parcel shelf. Try that!
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #29
deluqj
Starter Motor

one thing i have always done is just wedge the plates between the windscreen and dash connect and never had any problems with it, i dont think that it was the right way to go because they werent all that visible... i even got pulled over by the boys in blue but all they wanted was a breath test..
deluqj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #30
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

try this

RED

Green

Print them yourself and get some sticky tape on the corners and stick them inside your car. They wont come off.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post