Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"
Default How can I import some car parts from the USA?

I am trying to import some parts from America (rebuilt brake calipers). My problem is that the company will only ship within America. They don’t have a local agent in Australia.
I don’t know anyone in America and I am not planning on travelling to America.

How can I get them in to Australia?

The company has sent me an email stating that “Our invoices do not have a company logo or address and do not include any of the necessary documentation needed to pass through customs. If you are planning on shipping your order outside the United States, we will not be able to provide you with any further documentation and are not responsible for ensuring that your order can pass through customs.”

Do I have to deal with someone like an international courier company like FedEx to do this?
Has anyone done this before?
Are there any tricks or tips that anyone has for me?

Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
XRQTOR
Banned

If they are under $1ooo tell them to post the gear as it wont get looked at, anything over $1ooo and you need to pay GST on the purchase price. Even if they are 2nd hand good you still need to pay GST, doesnt matter if its just a hand written invoice on a blank bit of paper.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yeah, thats $1000 AUD too, cant remember off memory if postage costs was also included in this price. I frequently bring over art work from the US, and the last few times have had my stuff held up by customs. You will be given about 5 forms to fill in about the seller, purchase price, postage costs, recepit of purchaee etc so make sure they are all legit and that you and the seller tell the truth otherwise you will get caught out. Other than that, i just paid my 10 odd percent GST and some other handling fee and all was sweet, but for some reason that tool nearly 2 weeks..
Old 13-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
Yeah, thats $1000 AUD too, cant remember off memory if postage costs was also included in this price. I frequently bring over art work from the US, and the last few times have had my stuff held up by customs. You will be given about 5 forms to fill in about the seller, purchase price, postage costs, recepit of purchaee etc so make sure they are all legit and that you and the seller tell the truth otherwise you will get caught out. Other than that, i just paid my 10 odd percent GST and some other handling fee and all was sweet, but for some reason that tool nearly 2 weeks..
Correct $1ooo inculding postage, it's 3 forms. 2 forms about the seller & one about yourself. I have 3 shipments sitting in customs that have been stopped in the last week, one was over the threshold by $5o or so.

I assumed it was because i bought a few items in that they took off me but from what the guy told me the other day they have a new facility in sydney and they are getting more clamping down on this along with people importing copied/replica trademarked items.
Old 13-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

RDP are opening a shop in the US so maybe they can help you
Old 13-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have brother in Chicago . He forwarded onto me.. Often in two box's..
I find USPS to be ok freight wise..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Rev28K
re

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Unfortunately it is this company’s policy not to ship outside the USA and they are not flexible about it at all. They flat out, point blank refuse to do it.

So it looks like it is up to me to arrange a way to get it out of the country (which may be FedEx or DHL). They are saying that they “don’t have enough documentation for it to pass through customs”, I assume that is at their end. At our end all I can provide is credit card receipts and a print out of the webpage to “prove” that the goods were under $1k.

51RTE – who are RDP and what do they do?

Sometimes it is a gigantic pain in the bum getting stuff from O/S. E.G. I ordered some good quality F/G panels from Japan over 2 months ago, I was told to expect a 6-8 week delivery time and they are still sitting in a crate waiting to be transported. I ordered a F/G dashboard from Victoria and it arrived in 10 days as promised, the quality isn’t perfect but the price reflects this and the delivery time, method and payments options (direct payment to a BSB/Account no.) were as easy as anything.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 14-07-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 14-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Unfortunately it is this company’s policy not to ship outside the USA and they are not flexible about it at all. They flat out, point blank refuse to do it.

So it looks like it is up to me to arrange a way to get it out of the country (which may be FedEx or DHL). They are saying that they “don’t have enough documentation for it to pass through customs”, I assume that is at their end. At our end all I can provide is credit card receipts and a print out of the webpage to “prove” that the goods were under $1k.

Sometimes it is a gigantic pain in the bum getting stuff from O/S. E.G. I ordered some good quality F/G panels from Japan over 2 months ago, I was told to expect a 6-8 week delivery time and they are still sitting in a crate waiting to be transported. I ordered a F/G dashboard from Victoria and it arrived in 10 days as promised, the quality isn’t perfect but the price reflects this and the delivery time, method and payments options (direct payment to a BSB/Account no.) were as easy as anything.
The package will need paperwork (from their end) to get through customs at this end as well. ie: declaration, etc.

Be careful. I'd check to see if there is someone else that you can get parts from, that will ship to Australia. If the correct paperwork is not attached, it will be impounded on sent back.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Rev28K
re

Thanks for the advice BarraXR8.

I just found out a friend of a friend lives in Boston and some of the boss’s sons fly over pretty regularly for swimming. So things are looking up a bit.

Bear in mind that I’m not doing anything illegal. I’m not trying to scam anyone or dodge any taxes. I just want to get my mitts on these bits.
Old 15-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have never had trouble with ups/fedex when dealing with reputable companys. try joing the us version of f/f and post a thread you might find someone willing to do the p/work etc. we have done this a few times and it works well
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I had some US magazines shipped to me about 6 months ago, and unbeknown to me, a BB Gun was slipped inside the package.
Customs intercepted it, and I have been warned!
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
I had some US magazines shipped to me about 6 months ago, and unbeknown to me, a BB Gun was slipped inside the package.
Customs intercepted it, and I have been warned!
How did they warn you, i bought a few parts over for a particular item and all but the last came through. They took it and sent paperwork so i could claim it back if i had the required licences, either they dont know the rules at all or thought it belonged to something else
Old 15-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
How did they warn you, i bought a few parts over for a particular item and all but the last came through. They took it and sent paperwork so i could claim it back if i had the required licences, either they dont know the rules at all or thought it belonged to something else
They slipped a notification inside the package, which basically said what the law was, and that I would be sent out some forms to fill in.
It also gave a contact number, and a reference number.

So I rang them and told them that I had no idea that it was inside the package, and the magazines were a gift, so how could I be responsible for "importing" a prohibited item. He said that it was no big deal, as it happens all the time, and I would be sent a 6 page form if I wanted to claim the BB Gun. He then said that there was no point, as they are not allowed, but I would get the form anyway, as it was standard procedure.

I got the forms about a week later, with a letter stating that I would not be charged this time, but if I ever try to "import" prohibited items again, then my name might be brought up, and I would then be charged.

Pretty ridiculous really, as I have a pretty large replica gun collection, which are totally legal to own over here, as long as you don't go doing silly things with them.
Old 15-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #14
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
They slipped a notification inside the package, which basically said what the law was, and that I would be sent out some forms to fill in.
It also gave a contact number, and a reference number.

So I rang them and told them that I had no idea that it was inside the package, and the magazines were a gift, so how could I be responsible for "importing" a prohibited item. He said that it was no big deal, as it happens all the time, and I would be sent a 6 page form if I wanted to claim the BB Gun. He then said that there was no point, as they are not allowed, but I would get the form anyway, as it was standard procedure.

I got the forms about a week later, with a letter stating that I would not be charged this time, but if I ever try to "import" prohibited items again, then my name might be brought up, and I would then be charged.

Pretty ridiculous really, as I have a pretty large replica gun collection, which are totally legal to own over here, as long as you don't go doing silly things with them.
Ah ok, sounds about right. I got all the forms but no warning, i know what the rules are and took a gamble. It's actually illegal to import even a replica without prior approval, i'd like to know how one would buy an actual firearm from the states. I would love to buy a Barret Rifle...
Old 15-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I know of a guy here who fairly recently brought in an MGC brand replica Thompson with the right paperwork.
Also, there are heaps of replicas coming in here from Spain lately. AK47s, Thompsons, and all types of handguns, which gun dealers are somehow getting and selling them at our militaria swapmeets.
At the swapmeet last month, at a pretty good guess, I'd say there were probably 40 or so replicas for sale.
Old 16-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #16
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
I know of a guy here who fairly recently brought in an MGC brand replica Thompson with the right paperwork.
Also, there are heaps of replicas coming in here from Spain lately. AK47s, Thompsons, and all types of handguns, which gun dealers are somehow getting and selling them at our militaria swapmeets.
At the swapmeet last month, at a pretty good guess, I'd say there were probably 40 or so replicas for sale.
We are talking non working replicas here arn't we.
Old 16-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #17
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am trying to import some parts from America (rebuilt brake calipers). My problem is that the company will only ship within America. They don’t have a local agent in Australia.
I don’t know anyone in America and I am not planning on travelling to America.

How can I get them in to Australia?

The company has sent me an email stating that “Our invoices do not have a company logo or address and do not include any of the necessary documentation needed to pass through customs. If you are planning on shipping your order outside the United States, we will not be able to provide you with any further documentation and are not responsible for ensuring that your order can pass through customs.”

Do I have to deal with someone like an international courier company like FedEx to do this?
Has anyone done this before?
Are there any tricks or tips that anyone has for me?
Google remailing services , you pay a small fee for an addy there and they re-adress and forward
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #18
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
We are talking non working replicas here arn't we.
All the replicas I have are just like real guns, with moving parts, and can be stripped like real guns. They just don't fire projectiles. Some of them are PFC's, which have a brass cartridge which contains a cap, which then explodes, forces the slide back, loads the next cartridge, and emits smoke!
These are the Jap made ones.
The Spanish made ones are purely decorator I believe, as they don't have the strength for continued dry firing and strip downs. They aren't bad quality, but not as good as the Jap ones.

A surplus store in Perth is also selling them.

I know we are getting off the topic of this thread.
Perhaps if you could start another thread, I'd be happy to join in.
Old 16-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Redcliffe Dyno and Performance, they have a shop here in Brisbane, one in Mackey.
They are opening up a shop in Detroit aswell as we speak. They are a site sponser, so maybe drop them a PM and ask them some questions. They might be able to help
Old 16-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

What about forwarders like usa2me.com ?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post