Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
ef dave
Banned

Default anyone in the mining industry?

gday guys

i was hoping someone in here is currently working in the mining industry?
im keen as to get over there as im ready for a career change and want some good cash. good-bye melbourne, hello mines...

id be looking at operating the dozers/excavators/dump trucks. currently i have my MR licence. or even so, just some labouring work to get me started and i can take it from there.

its just that everyone who i have spoken to about getting a job in the mining region have all said that u really gotta know someone in the know.

any help would be much appreciated

thanx guys

dave

ef dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't just get on the Hull packs, like anything you need a bit of exspirence and need to work up to it. KCGM> AKA "Super Pit" in Kalgoorlie do train people up but they are not short of applicants. I was going to do this when i was up there, I had a contact and even then it was still going to be a 3-6 month wait for a position to open up before I got a shot on the trucks.

In the end i had already spent 10 months up there kicking and decided to spend another 3 just to get me into a another Job that wasn't really going to lead anywhere was just wasting time, it was time to get my in gear so got a apprenticeship instead.

If your not a Afraid of a bit of sweat, Drillers offsider may be a good place to get started

and you need a HR not a MR.

The big thing about getting a Job using Contacts is people who may have contacts aren't always willing to put there reputation on the line for somebody they don't know well.

It's not hard to get work up there ATM, but you may not get where you want to be right away.

Best bet is to get in contact with Mining Recruiting agency's in the West and just send out resumes for any Job you think you will do from Drilling to T/Aing.

hear is one
http://www.miningpeople.com.au/job_results.asp

cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
WAXBFAR

Minning off sider is called a "Nipper"
Other entry angle is, becoming a "Service crew" member.
If you have a trade like Electrician ,Boilermaker or mechanical fitter then the entry in the minning is so much easier and so much better paid!
The other thing to consider is where you are going to be while on your break, as rents are difficult and not cheap here in homebase Fly in Fly out (Perth) and keeping a place while you are on break (e.g. 2 weeks away one week off)and hardly there is sometimes defeating the purpose.
Good Luck
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
ef dave
Banned

yeah good points guys
accomodation will def be the let down,
i do understand that i wont be able to get where i want to be straight away. ill just have to send off resumes to jobs like what u guys were sayin.

ill have to look into it a bit deeper.

cheers guys
Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
trent
Starter Motor

Positions as a Drillers Offsider definately do arise more frequently than say a truckie (or Bonehead as the were commonly refered to as). Being an ex driller i must say that offsiding isnt as bad as some make it out to be (unless you are doing exploration, now that sucks). There are plenty of companies around and if you can somehow get hold of a copy of the West Australian newspaper or the Sunday Times (WA) you will see for yourself that there is plenty of work out there.

When i was drilling, we had a massive turn over rate, only due to the fact that young guys would come up, thinking that it was the thing for them only to discover that it wasn't, so just make sure that it is the right thing for you before you commit, talk to as many people as possible that are or have been in the industry.

Now, some people may disagree with me on this, but i would reccommed looking at employment as a drillers offsider, thats where i started and it was great, yes its dirty, yes its noisy and yes at times it is boring but i did learn a heap of skills that to this day have helped me at one time or another.

Try Brandrill, they are advertsing at the moment for Labourers and Trainee Drillers.

Good Luck
trent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work for a company that supplies equipment to the mines, but that won't help ya unfortunately mate! Sorry
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh get in contact with mining people. I know a guy there. Ask to speak to Andrew

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
FDG 220
Confused lil guy

buy latest trucking life magazine from new agency at moment

they have article in there of how to get into industry with couple good links for people interested in getting into the mines
FDG 220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

i just got back from a 4 and 1 week roster, it sucked so i left. the more ya earn the more ya spend, i looking at getting back out there because i wont have a license for a year
Old 14-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
ef dave
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickXR
buy latest trucking life magazine from new agency at moment

they have article in there of how to get into industry with couple good links for people interested in getting into the mines
sounds great, will have to check it out. coz its so hard to get accom in perth, when they fly u in and out, do many guys just jump on a plane and head back to melb for their week or so off? then whens its time to start work again, just fly back to perth and they fly u back in?
Old 14-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
Melchior3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef dave
do many guys just jump on a plane and head back to melb for their week or so off? then whens its time to start work again, just fly back to perth and they fly u back in?
I worked up North with a bloke from Albury on a 2/1 roster, he went back home just about every R+R week. Only stayed if he wanted to see mates in Perth etc.
One of our management staff also flys to Melbourne on his week off.

Long way to travel...I think going up from here sucks, can't imagine going over East, but there's a few guys that do it.
Melchior3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post